Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times

Advertisements

The tenants have been in the house since September. Yesterday I drove by and there is a fixture that may be a light or security camera mounted over the garage -- clearly visible from the street -- attached to the house. There is a driveway motion light on the house already that came with the house & is totally functonal. They did not ask for permission nor is this an area with a crime problem. Do you agree its reasonable that I notify them to remove the fixture immediatly and repair the section of the house they mounted the fixture to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 08:47 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Not reasonable to me. Really? You want to create a hostile relationship with your tenant over a security camera (or light)? Or are you already looking for reasons to hassle these tenants?

Who is it harming? If they leave and take it with them, they can fix it at that time with some spackle.

If they don't you can... And charge them for the whole tube of spackle.

My two cents.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not reasonable to me. Really? You want to create a hostile relationship with your tenant over a security camera (or light)? Or are you already looking for reasons to hassle these tenants?

Who is it harming? If they leave and take it with them, they can fix it at that time with some spackle.

If they don't you can... And charge them for the whole tube of spackle.

My two cents.
Thanks for your feedback. Its not a simple spackle job since its on the exterior face of the house and a paint match will be an issue. In addition, it is pretty unsightly and kind reminds me of neighborhoods with houses that have bars on the windows. But waiting for others' opinions and appreciate your input greatly.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:20 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Seems to me the damage is already done and when they move out whatever repairs are still needed can be deducted from the security deposit. How are they otherwise as tenants?

People have differing ideas about security. I don't really like going out alone after dark (and I live in a nice, pretty safe suburban area) but plenty of people wouldn't bat an eye. Your tenants may be more like me than yourself.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Its not a simple spackle job since its on the exterior face of the house and a paint match will be an issue. In addition, it is pretty unsightly and kind reminds me of neighborhoods with houses that have bars on the windows. But waiting for others' opinions and appreciate your input greatly.
Paint stores are really good at matching paint nowadays.

You rented the house out. If they are paying rent and generally keeping the place up, I would recommend not treating your tenants as hostile occupiers. The friendlier and more mutually respectful the relationship, the better for you. Even if you think it's unwarranted, a security camera is not a sign of neglect, it's actually a sign they care about the security of your property. Let it go.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,102 times
Can you legally request they remove it; probably yes, depending on your lease. Should you create a hostile situation with good tenants? That's your call. Safety is subjective and not something you can measure for them.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:48 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Well, if it were me, I'd let it slide, but keep and eye on it when they move out. They probably made the decision that it was worth whatever repairs they would have to do in order to enjoy that extra level of security. And who knows? They may be there for YEARS. If they are otherwise good tenants, why not be just a little proactive, just to let them know you noticed it? Give them a call and ask them, with concern, that you noticed that they had installed a security camera and wondered if they had had any problems.

Let's face it, if you noticed the security camera, a burglar probably would, too. You're saving yourself a busted window or a kicked-in door. Let it lie.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
My only concern would be that if they didn't ask about making that alteration to the property without asking (anything that makes a hole in order to be installed should be asked about, in my opinion), they might think it's just fine to make any alterations that they would like without asking. What does the lease say about this?

Old 01-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My only concern would be that if they didn't ask about making that alteration to the property without asking (anything that makes a hole in order to be installed should be asked about, in my opinion), they might think it's just fine to make any alterations that they would like without asking. What does the lease say about this?
It IS required by the lease that the tenant receive permission; and they did not ask. I would not mind them relocating the fixture so it was not obvious. If I were looking in that neighborhood to buy or rent, I would think there was a crime problem. So that's my dilemma.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 AM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The tenants have been in the house since September. Yesterday I drove by and there is a fixture that may be a light or security camera mounted over the garage -- clearly visible from the street -- attached to the house. There is a driveway motion light on the house already that came with the house & is totally functonal. They did not ask for permission nor is this an area with a crime problem. Do you agree its reasonable that I notify them to remove the fixture immediatly and repair the section of the house they mounted the fixture to?
Whether or not it is reasonable depends on how rule oriented you are and whether or not you accept that someone else's life story might be different than yours.

I personally would not send them a letter asking them to remove it and repair it. It is in and it can be repaired from the security deposit at termination of the lease if needed.

True story. Our first home we leased out when we moved. A middle-aged couple wanted to lease it, but it didn't have an alarm system in it. The house was on a quiet dead end street with no crime stats for the many years we lived there. The tenant offered to pay for it to be installed. The wife had been attacked as a young woman and just needed to have the security system to sleep well at night.

So, if your tenant has had an experience like that and that is the reason they want the camera to feel safe in a low crime area, how would you feel demanding they remove it and repair the section of the house? Just because you feel safe doesn't mean they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate