Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
In my neighborhood people are up in arms over only having 24 hours to bring their trash can in. Those are the people that make these rules necessary!
Come on. Trashcans should sit by the curb all day and night along with broken basketball goals.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Wait...sheets or towels in place of curtains? Or sheets and towels hanging on a line to dry?
Clotheslines?

We have not the clotheslines in HOA neighborhoods.

No... sheets and towels draped inside a window instead of buying or sewing up some proper curtains and/or blinds, shades, etc to cover the windows.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
It's a shame that one would have to buy a 30 year old house to live in a competitively priced suburb area without joining one of these paint-nazi communes :/

Though I'm sure it's similar across the south. New Urbanism gone bad
People can choose to live in a non-HOA residence in a brand-new house. They just need to buy some land and build a house on it someplace.

Even the ITB crowd has neighborhood covenants. They cannot do just "whatever." They do tend to have less rules than HOA neighborhoods, but it's not like there are NO rules.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:42 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Try to find land on which to build a house in Wake County that has access to public water and public sewer. Not much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Try to find land on which to build a house in Wake County that has access to public water and public sewer. Not much of it.
Yeah... that's true. But, still... if one is determined not to live under the iron fist of oppression in the name of protected property values and all...

Old 04-27-2016, 02:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... that's true. But, still... if one is determined not to live under the iron fist of oppression in the name of protected property values and all...

I'd say let the market decide, but apparently builders couldn't offer HOA-free options if they wanted to

Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Are HOA's as popular up North?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Folks I know have a tenant in Cottages at Stonehenge. The tenant got a letter and threat of fine for having off-white curtains.
Have to be white, or at least a white lining towards the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Are those apartments though?

I can understand not wanting hot pink houses, but the curtains are way over the top.

No, they are townhouse-style condos.
The board is really clamping down on landlords and apparently wants all owner/occupants if possible.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I'd say let the market decide, but apparently builders couldn't offer HOA-free options if they wanted to
Sure they can. And, they do. And, they are easy to find, if that is what you want.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Here is a HOA rule that I wish WAS put in place here: More restrictions on invisible fences for dogs.

Now I'm a dog owner and love dogs, but why do they let invisible fences go right up to the sidewalk in most places around here? It's pretty nerve racking to be walking down the sidewalk with a dog charging at you only to stop at the very last minute. (And by then I'm in the street....)

Even worse, I know a little girl who got attacked by a dog in a different neighborhood here as the dog charging at her was too focused on her and by the time it got buzzed by the invisible fence it was too late. Sad story and this little girl is now terrified of dogs.

My prior house had an HOA that said an invisible fence could only go as far forward as the furthest point of the house. So basically it made the dogs stay in the backyard or on the side of the homes. They couldn't go past the corner of the garage or whatever was closest to the sidewalk. That seems like a better rule to me...I don't like when people leave dogs outside unattended, anyway, as they are social creatures and want to be with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate