Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:44 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,509,488 times

Advertisements

It's the housing equivalent of:

People get emotional.

People are stupid when they're emotional. Real estate agents know this and exploit that part of human nature at every opportunity.

A supposed in some, very real in others, and definitely marketed lack of inventory by the real estate industry fuels the fire. People think that the house they're looking at is the last one on earth.

You also get the typical "I have to have it now" crowd.

This is the same type of thing that happened in 2007.

We all know how that ended.

Anyone sane is holding cash and renting until things settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM

8,578 posts, read 12,465,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Or I have to have "a" place. Inventory is low.
In many places it's not that the inventory is low...it's that there are too many darn people!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,509,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
In many places it's not that the inventory is low...it's that there are too many darn people!
A lot of truth to this.

Millennials(disclosure: I am one) tend to be flocking to urban areas.

We're also a very stupid bunch financially. We don't value money nor the future, so we tend to overspend on everything.

Many rural areas and older communities(save Florida) are not seeing inventory issues.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,487,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
On March 28 of this year, the house was put on the market asking $1.689 million. Apparently it didn't receive an offer deemed acceptable by the seller; and one month later the price was cut significantly (by $500k) to $1.189 million.

Lo and behold, that strategy worked. They seemed to have gotten multiple offers and ended up selling for $1.690 million, $501k over asking and $10k over their original asking price.

Sometimes I am reminded that I don't understand this market.

This is the listing:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Franci...1/home/1468380
Did you notice it sold for $675,000 three years ago....on Jun 27, 2013? That is insane.

I absolutely hate the interior. It looks "clean" but BORING, like every other flipped house in the Bay Area.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,259,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Did you notice it sold for $675,000 three years ago....on Jun 27, 2013? That is insane.

I absolutely hate the interior. It looks "clean" but BORING, like every other flipped house in the Bay Area.

Yes, I saw. Probably bought it as a fixer.

The Building Dept permits show roughly $200k in repair cost, factoring in the interior remodeling I'm guessing the flipper spend at least $300k on the house, probably more. Still made a killing though.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,268,693 times
both agents involved are listed on the Redfin site. I'm sure one of them could provide you some insight.

Maybe the Buyer made an offer, it was in the 1.3MM range and the parties were at a stalemate. So, listing agent says "let's scare them into action by dropping the price $500K in a day. they want the house - who knows what they'l do."

Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,688,063 times
Same here in North Texas, low inventory equals high prices. New construction starts at around $500K. Property tax increases 10% annually.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,721,226 times
What goes up comes down. People rarely believe that it can or will happen in their neighborhood/market. Agree re the opinion to be in cash and not in RE at this time. I've seen some spectacular crashes and burns in my 45 years of relocating across the country and today's craziness appears almost widespread. "Cheap Money" making things totally messy.............

Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times
Just buy a home you can afford and for get about it. I realize prices are way up in the stratosphere in San Francisco. Still, people seem to come up with the money to buy homes. With prices jumping up what scares me is multiple families buying a single home, something that does happen in my area. We have one home that now has 8 cars in the lot and street. I don't know how many people are living there but they are all working. It is funny to see, you wake up in the morning and only one or two cars are there. By 7pm they are all back. Nice enouph people and all, and I get it that it can be hard to come up with the entrance fee to get a home.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,487,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just buy a home you can afford and for get about it. I realize prices are way up in the stratosphere in San Francisco. Still, people seem to come up with the money to buy homes. With prices jumping up what scares me is multiple families buying a single home, something that does happen in my area. We have one home that now has 8 cars in the lot and street. I don't know how many people are living there but they are all working. It is funny to see, you wake up in the morning and only one or two cars are there. By 7pm they are all back. Nice enouph people and all, and I get it that it can be hard to come up with the entrance fee to get a home.
We have a lot of foreign money being dumped into the SF Bay Area market.

We can't afford to move up to a larger home in a better neighborhood around here due to the foreign buyers snapping up all the higher-valued properties in the best neighborhoods and pushing the prices up even higher.

If you look on some websites and check the names of neighbors it is clear to see that the vast majority of that new money is Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate