Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times

Advertisements

On March 28 of this year, the house was put on the market asking $1.689 million. Apparently it didn't receive an offer deemed acceptable by the seller; and one month later the price was cut significantly (by $500k) to $1.189 million.

Lo and behold, that strategy worked. They seemed to have gotten multiple offers and ended up selling for $1.690 million, $501k over asking and $10k over their original asking price.

Sometimes I am reminded that I don't understand this market.

This is the listing:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Franci...1/home/1468380
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
That only goes to show that prices are crazy in California!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:49 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That only goes to show that prices are crazy in California!
And that some people are incredibly stupid.

It's a strategy I've seen before in SF. It works.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Same thing happening in Denver. There's a bidding war on every house. This is not a rational market. These are people making decisions based on raw emotion ("I just have to have this place!").

Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM

182 posts, read 239,509 times
Lord let the crazyness spread to my area! What's driving the market in Denver? I understand the Bay Area with all the tech jobs but I don't get Denver or even Austin.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Lord let the crazyness spread to my area! What's driving the market in Denver? I understand the Bay Area with all the tech jobs but I don't get Denver or even Austin.
Jobs, mild/dry climate, mountains, amenities, entertainment.

Denver is actually a pretty cool city. But it seems like everyone and their mother is moving here. Small bungalows are going for $300k or more. Larger houses well outside the metro are pushing $300k+ as well. People are just not acting rationally right now. They just want it so bad, they don't care how much they end up paying for it or how broke they'll be afterwards.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 PM

473 posts, read 521,153 times
Quote:
Denver and Austin are burgeoning tech hubs, much like Seattle. It's the spillover tech industry.

And, unfortunately, what the OP describes is the entrenched market strategy in the Bay Area. Since something like 75% of homes get multiple offers, most people submit bids that are 20 to 30% over asking. So people probably passed on that property because they weren't willing to bid above $1.689m. When the price dropped, they submitted what would be a typical bid -- above asking. You have to know the dynamics, which are nonsensical if you don't live here (and even if you do!)

Old 06-15-2016, 04:13 PM

116 posts, read 118,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
On March 28 of this year, the house was put on the market asking $1.689 million. Apparently it didn't receive an offer deemed acceptable by the seller; and one month later the price was cut significantly (by $500k) to $1.189 million.

Lo and behold, that strategy worked. They seemed to have gotten multiple offers and ended up selling for $1.690 million, $501k over asking and $10k over their original asking price.

Sometimes I am reminded that I don't understand this market.

This is the listing:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Franci...1/home/1468380
This is routine in hot markets. Most list prices are deliberately low to drive interest and 'bidding wars'.

People assume the seller is expecting the house to go above asking so don't bother submitting full-price offers because they figure the offer won't be accepted. This works against sellers who list at the price they actually want to get.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:14 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Those two cities are frequently mentioned as being escape routes for people leaving the California housing market. So folks move in from the LA/SanDiego/San Francisco real estate insanity and throw their $ at something that is a raging deal compared to where they have left. And those are also two cities where being in the closer in city is much more valued. I've visited those California cities and vastly prefer Denver (atleast the urban area) so I can see why it draws its population. Especially among younger people who have little hope of leading a quality lifestyle in the Bay area.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Same thing happening in Denver. There's a bidding war on every house. This is not a rational market. These are people making decisions based on raw emotion ("I just have to have this place!").
Or I have to have "a" place. Inventory is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate