Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is it to you have to have a bathtub in the Master Bathroom?
I could care less 38 26.21%
I don't mind as long as there's another one elsewhere in the house 66 45.52%
Somewhat of a concern. I'd get over it if the bathroom were nice enough otherwise 13 8.97%
Major detractor, I need a tub 28 19.31%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,332,091 times

Advertisements

I opted to put a walk in shower in lieu of a tub in my house when I built it. I love my bathroom - possibly my favorite room in the house! lol! I put in some gorgeous tile, a spiffy shower panel and a frameless glass door.

The second bath has a traditional tub/shower. My son was 10 when we moved in and unless I have grandkids a lot sooner than I expect, it's more likely than no that I will sell this house before a bath is ever taken in it. I did have a big soaking tub in my last house, and he enjoyed baths in there as a little kid but if the next owner wants one, they can tear out my beautiful shower and put one in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 07:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,374,739 times
I couldn't care less. (Which wasn't a choice.)

I have a very nice double shower in my master bath, which would be my first choice. I have a tub in the hall bathroom, which I trust will suffice for re-sale to someone who has children or insists on a tub. I know some adults love baths, but the only one I know personally is 90 years old. I polled my friends and relatives on this before I bought my house and they ALL said they took showers.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,051,132 times
Absolutely must have a tub - and if you compared the water used in a tub bath with a shower I doubt there's any difference, in fact, unless it's a quick shower it may be more.

I don't want to do my hair everyday - bad for the hair. With a shower that becomes necessary, thus, showers take more time. How do you shave in a shower?

Must have a tub.

Last edited by Umbria; 07-08-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 07:34 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,411,567 times
I didn't look at all the choices!!! I want to change to selection number two!! I need a tub. Somewhere. It doesn't have to be in the Master bath.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,824 times
FWIW, I live in a new development and none of the builder's floorplans have a tub in the master. They are selling like hotcakes. I can't remember the last time my wife or I took a bath. It is kind of gross. We were happy to find a floorplan with a large shower and more room for closets and such. The tub in our last house was maybe used twice in 7 years.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:02 PM

23,000 posts, read 6,475,725 times
We have a garden tub in the master bath which we hardly ever use..
The (separate) shower is used every day.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:54 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,448,101 times
Would prefer separate tub and shower in the same bathroom. Would want a Jacuzzi tub with room for two.

I want this kind of shower:

My wifes cousin and her husband rupped out both of their bathrooms and the end result was no tub when they were done. Both have custom showers. Seemed practical when they did it. They also have two sons that are age 12 and 9 and both boys took showers. Last year they had a daughter and if she is like my daughter may want to take a bath.

Another friend installed a custom shower system similar to the image above. I like it and want to do the same thing with our master bath. Our home is not that large and the master bath already has a shower in it. The common bath has a tub shower combo. The good thing about our main bath is that it has lots of room to install a larger tub if we want to go that route.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:01 AM

965 posts, read 945,347 times
The poll choices didn't work for what I would choose.
Garden, jetted or soaking tub is a deal breaker for me. 100%, I don't want to live through a remodel, so I would not even look. Complete waste of space, water, etc.... Especially garden tubs, they can never get hot enough by the time they are filled.
The litter boxes are kept there now. Can't wait to get away from that one.

A big beautiful, tiled, simple walk-in shower with NO glass, and no door could probably sell a house to me.
If there is a regular tub in another part of the house that is good/fine. In case I need to bathe a dog, or bathe once a year, or have little kids visiting.

Another deal breaker for me is a tub with the glass sliding doors. Yuck, the runners can get so... I bought a house without realizing that it wasn't supposed to be gray.. It took me most of a day to soak and scrub that gunk out. And it is hard to bend over them to bathe a pet or child, or to clean the actual tub part.

To answer the subject line. I prefer no tub in the master.

Last edited by simplepeace; 07-09-2016 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,032,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
The only reason I would want a tub in the house, is for resale. Otherwise I wouldn't care even if there were no tubs at all in the house. I think that having a tub in another bathroom ought to be enough for resale, though.

My present house has a fabulous stand-alone shower in one bathroom, and a tub/shower in the other. I really like the stand-alone shower and use it instead of the tub/shower.
I don't consider features in a home in terms of resale, especially small ones like bathtubs. My wife and I never take a bath, and we don't have kids. We'd have no qualms about purchasing a home with no bathtub, because we buy a home for us to live in, not for someone else to live in it years down the road.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:15 AM

983 posts, read 1,061,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Absolutely must have a tub - and if you compared the water used in a tub bath with a shower I doubt there's any difference, in fact, unless it's a quick shower it may be more.

I don't want to do my hair everyday - bad for the hair. With a shower that becomes necessary, thus, showers take more time. How do you shave in a shower?

Must have a tub.
Why do you have to wash your hair when you take a shower? I sure don't. Never have done it that way. Just don't stand with your head directly under the water.

I shave with an electric razor, so I don't shave in the shower. Although it really wouldn't be difficult to do in the shower. Really not a problem imho.

Millions of people don't have access to showers - I am thinking especially of college students (I've never seen a tub in a college dorm) - and they manage to do all of those things while taking showers. And they are much safer for senior citizens and those with mobility challenges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate