Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,144,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
Ok I am wrong. It's ok to do this but my realtor should have warned me I think of what could and will happen.
you need a realtor to tell you the house is no longer yours after closing? do you borrow cars you've sold, think they're still yours to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

There are any number of reasons why a seller might not be able to vacate the home as planned. Enter the contingency clause.

What a terrible experience. Sounds like your [old] neighbors are in for a treat.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 PM

347 posts, read 427,419 times
Quote:
I wish you would read my other posts. I was boxed up and ready to go and had movers set up. If my agent would have told me what they could and probably will do I would have moved to all of my things to a storage unit and gone to a motel. No big deal. The point I am trying to make is why didn't she tell me. I don't know the real estate rules. I thought she wAS suppossed to look out for my best interests and guide me through the process. Not just assume that I knew what was going on.
Because you said you didn't get a response from your realtor, which most people would assume that they either hadn't been able to ask or the answer was no. You keep asking and insisting on an answer before deciding it's the answer that you want. I'm not sure why you assumed you could stay when your contract indicated otherwise and your realtor had not gotten back to you to let you know that you could amend yr contract. I guess that is the part I'm confused about.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
I wish you would read my other posts. I was boxed up and ready to go and had movers set up. If my agent would have told me what they could and probably will do I would have moved to all of my things to a storage unit and gone to a motel. No big deal. The point I am trying to make is why didn't she tell me. I don't know the real estate rules. I thought she wAS suppossed to look out for my best interests and guide me through the process. Not just assume that I knew what was going on.
If she failed you, it was as your friend, not as your real estate agent.

At any rate, it is behind you now. Best of luck to you in your new home.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I deal with people like you every day at work (no I'm not a realtor) - people who would rather let someone else - anyone else - take control of their life rather than taking control themselves. This is what happens when that is how you go thru life. If you had taken control of any one aspect of this move it would have gone a bit smoother. Take control of the whole thing and there would have been no issues at all. But it's easier to play the victims and blame others.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
I was boxed up and ready to go
Quote:

The next day the movers didn't get there until 12 pm to move my stuff into storage. They were terrible. They forgot or stole and rock crystal my father had bought for my mom, the bird bath, extension ladder, a regular ladder, all of my plants, my ipad, $660 out of my sock drawer, a vacuum, my ironing board and a few more things.
You were packed and ready to go and somehow had $660 sitting in your sock drawer?!?!?!?

Seriously, you aren't comprehending this situation. The house no longer belonged to you the second escrow closed. Your realtor (thankfully) was able to get a three day extension. These extensions don't just go on as long as you want, or as long as you need to stay.

IT WAS NO LONGER YOUR HOUSE!!!!

The new owners did not have to be polite to you. You were trespassing.

The agent did not have to "warn" you that this can happen. It's common knowledge.

Grow up.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
I wish you would read my other posts. I was boxed up and ready to go and had movers set up.
For what day did you have movers set up for? Sometime in September?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Yes they owned the house but I just can't imagine throwing someone out on the streets. I would have paid them for a few more days to get my things out.
If I was the buyer and I showed up with MY key to MY new house and I opened the door and saw you. I would of shut the door and called the cops from the start. I wouldn't even speak to you. And you can be darn sure I would pursue this to its fullest extent.

You got lucky.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance I guess. I just can't imagine throwing someone out on the street and my realtor should have told me they can do that. I would never do that to anyone. I am in my new house and the owners haven't even moved into their new house yet. It was there's and they weren't nice about asking me to leave. The son and the dad came into the house screaming at me. There was no need to treat me like that I had no idea this was going to happen. I don't think either of them would have wanted their wives spoken to the way they treated me. I have never been so disrespected in all my life. I told my realtor I didn't want to see her again when 15 minutes after they were yelling at me she still hadn't said anything to anyone. She knew this was going to happen. Why else was she there? She knew it was going to happen and she should have prepared me for it. She isn't just my realtor. We have been friends for many years. She should have told me what could happen.
Again, you got lucky, a lot of people would of called the cops.

Quote:
I would have moved to all of my things to a storage unit and gone to a motel. No big deal.
Then why the heck didn't you do that? This makes no sense.

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is why didn't she tell me. I don't know the real estate rules. I thought she wAS suppossed to look out for my best interests and guide me through the process. Not just assume that I knew what was going on.
This isn't your Realtors fault. You're a grown woman, you shouldn't have to be told what can happen if you don't move out of a house you sold.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Thank you - - - I laughed so hard! Honestly I cannot believe that any adult, no anyone over age 3, would expect to be able to stay in a house once they don't own it!

Your realtor is not only fine, but a saint for putting up with you, IMO.

Next time do the normal thing: rent an apartment or find an extended stay place, and move to it until your final destination is available. Or put your stuff in storage and stay with a friend.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Ok I am wrong. It's ok to do this but my realtor should have warned me I think of what could and will happen.
So she should have warned you to follow the contract or the buyers might be irate? You said you were moving into a retirement community so you aren't a 20-year-old. I think the expectation was that you are a mature adult capable of understanding consequences of your actions. To me, it would be disrespectful to tell an older, mature client, by the way, if you aren't out people will yell at you. That would be condescending and demeaning to them. If I said that, I'm assuming you aren't an intelligent or considerate human being. So you agent should have assumed you were an inconsiderate and non-intelligent human being?

You had an option to move out and chose not to, so you created a negative experience for yourself. You can't see how rude and disrespectful you were to the buyers of your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate