Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 05:25 PM

145 posts, read 167,886 times

Advertisements

I call b.s. on the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 PM

564 posts, read 873,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry guys but you are getting carried away...outrageously.

No question the seller should have been out. But the agent should have been all over her the day before and the last day. And the agent should have convinced her to either get out or offer a substantial payment for a couple more days.

When it gets to the evening of the last day it is too late. I presume seller is not lying when she says she did not see the problem coming. I have seen any number of times when agents screw up and let such problems fester and then cut and run when it hits the fan.

We do a simultaneous close ever once in a while and they do get hairy. And things go wrong at the end. But you stay all over such a situation to keep it under control.

These things do happen and can be contained by people of good will with the help of competent agents.
There is nothing that indicates that the buyers agreed to any additional extension in time. The OP is wrong. It is common sense. End of story.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 PM

424 posts, read 381,990 times
I would be more pissed off at the movers, that is just unprofessional and probably illegal.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
Ok I am wrong. It's ok to do this but my realtor should have warned me I think of what could and will happen.
Your realtor should have warned you that when you sell your house the new owners might want to come live in it?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
we seem to be having problems with reality. In fact what one does is you do not close until the selller is out. RE 101.

On rare occasion some nice buyer may give a few days or even a few weeks to a seller to get out. Happens when buyer needs it closed but does not need immediate occupancy. Normally a rent is agreed to and a time frame.

When that period ends you are in the classical situation of a lease expiring. What you then have is the classical renter overstaying his lease. And you go to Justice court, get an eviction and throw him out.

This is simply a short form of that process.

And again no competent agent would let it get to that stage.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
we seem to be having problems with reality. In fact what one does is you do not close until the selller is out. RE 101.

On rare occasion some nice buyer may give a few days or even a few weeks to a seller to get out. Happens when buyer needs it closed but does not need immediate occupancy. Normally a rent is agreed to and a time frame.

When that period ends you are in the classical situation of a lease expiring. What you then have is the classical renter overstaying his lease. And you go to Justice court, get an eviction and throw him out.

This is simply a short form of that process.

And again no competent agent would let it get to that stage.
I've read this whole thing and haven't said anything til now because I don't know if its for real or someone is having fun messing with a bunch of real estate agents. Just for fun we'll say its real.

I think if an agent messed up it was the buyers agent. Maybe. Final walk through. Was there one done? If there was and the seller wasn't out why wasn't action taken on the buyers side? I had a situation where it looked like this might happen. Don't want to derail the thread. Long story short we scheduled a second walk through for a few hours later and they were out before closing. I mean, you don't see this and just tell your buyers to go through with it. What happened there on the buyers side?

The OP seems to think that she had every right to be there because her new house wasn't ready yet. This is why the thread doesn't seem real to me. How does anyone get to be retirement age and still think they are the center of the universe? Sorry OP, but you are very inconsiderate of other people, including your agent. The three day extension she got you the first time wasn't done by wave of magic wand. She had to get signatures on paper from the buyers to get that for you. Something that wouldn't be reasonable to keep asking for and they weren't willing to do it a second time.

And to say you were thrown out is blowing things out of proportion. As one person correctly pointed out, legally no one can physically throw you out of there. They were nice to give you three days. I hope you eventually apologized to them for not moving out on time.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Note to sellers....when you close, unless you have something in writing prior to close, be out of your house by closing. Don't assume you will get any extensions to any temporary leaseback after closing. YOU NO Longer Own THE house.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Note to sellers....when you close, unless you have something in writing prior to close, be out of your house by closing. Don't assume you will get any extensions to any temporary leaseback after closing. YOU NO Longer Own THE house.
No kidding, thanks for the info.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
When I bought my house it was all spelled out in the contract. When the the previous owner had to be out. How long they could stay and what daily rent they had to pay. Beyond a certain number of days the daily rent would increase. I would put some blame on the realtor if these things were not made clear to both the seller and the buyer..

Old 07-16-2016, 05:55 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
I call b.s. on the OP.
Yes, I'm beginning to think I'm Retired Now is having a good laugh that this went to 14 pages. I didn't notice until now that this is a first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate