Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Don't think that was the case here. This was a house built in the 50's.
I have been in many homes built in the 50's and owned several. They all had a toilet in the basement. I was surprised when I started looking at newer homes as a young adult and did not see a toilet in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I have been in many homes built in the 50's and owned several. They all had a toilet in the basement. I was surprised when I started looking at newer homes as a young adult and did not see a toilet in the basement.
I didn't mean to say it was unusual for a 1950's home to have a bathroom in the basement. I meant that I didn't think it was placed their by the original builder so that a future owner could build a bathroom.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM

154 posts, read 260,018 times
Wall to wall carpet in the bathroom and kitchen.

A build in aquarium that had been very neglected.

Yankee themed EVERYTHING. Kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. ALL of it was full of Yankee merchandise.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
We were interested in a somewhat neglected Victorian. Apparently the owners had gotten a divorce and left the house inhabited by three teenage boys. During our first visit accompanied by our realtor, our efforts to look in the basement were thwarted by a supposed power problem. As a result, we couldn't get a look at the furnace, hot water tank, etc. A few weeks later we went back with our realtor, and this time nobody was home. We opened the basement door, flicked on the light, and still no power. A ladder had been placed on the staircase. We moved the ladder aside, and found that the light bulb had been loosened in the socket. Of course it turned out that these juvenile delinquents had a massive pot farm growing in the basement.
Delinquents? I'd call them entrepreneurs!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,946 times
A book about Cannabalism in a kitchen among cookbooks.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
Recently drove by an open house a few weekends ago. Two huge flags loosely attached to the side of the house. One American flag and to the left but slightly higher on the wall a bigger Confederate flag. Seemed odd for New England...
Seems odd for Brooklyn as well, but I can tell you where to find a house with the same!

We were looking for a coop to buy and we walked into one place and it just gave you that creepy vibe. It was VERY dark in there and the realtor said, "The guy works at night, so..." At the time I worked at night and I still do and I don't make my ENTIRE apartment dark---he had stuff blocking out light completely even from the LR windows.

Anyway, he had so much CRAP everywhere---funky lights, weird water things, faux fur rugs, random naked lady pictures, etc. that I think it actually took away from the fact that the apartment looked like crap---giant cracks in the walls, the kitchen was falling apart, etc. The only thing that I liked about the apartment was that it was a nice size but it would have required too much work to get it where it would need to be for me to find it enjoyable.

Another time I was looking through different coops online and I had been looking through the pictures of one place. I started laughing because in one of the pictures, there was a HUGE box of Tampax on the bed, almost as if they were really trying to show it off---and it showed up in more than one picture too. I thought it was funny, since it almost seemed as if it was on display.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:55 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
A book about Cannabalism in a kitchen among cookbooks.
Does that mean I should remove the book "Women Who Kill" from the bookcase by my front door when I try to sell my apartment? Can "The Serial Killer Files" stay?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
It is the anniversary of when my wife and I closed on our house and I was laughing to myself about some strange things we saw house hunting and thought others might like to share as well. The two that come to mind from our search:

1. Toilet next to washing machine- One house we looked at had an unfinished basement that was one large open room. There was a functioning toilet positioned about a foot to the side of the washing machine. I assume it was placed there due to the convenient proximity to the necessary plumbing, but it was very strange. It is pretty funny to imagine walking into the basement only to find someone sitting on a toilet in the middle of the room.

2. Carpeted Kitchen- Another house we looked at had a kitchen that was fully carpeted. I'm not talking about a removable rug, but real tacked down wall to wall carpet. I can't imagine why anyone would think this would be a good idea. Gross!

What funny things did you see?
I have looked at hundreds of houses, and because I have a slim budget in a medium expensive area, I have seen lots of things.

The worst thing I have seen was blood splatter all over the ceiling, and a 12" blood stain on the floor.

Another house had mushrooms growing on the basement walls/ceiling.

The house I recently bought had a squirrel nest on the living room. All the bathroom vanities had been taken, along with the fireplace mantel and thermostat.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Seems odd for Brooklyn as well, but I can tell you where to find a house with the same!

We were looking for a coop to buy and we walked into one place and it just gave you that creepy vibe. It was VERY dark in there and the realtor said, "The guy works at night, so..." At the time I worked at night and I still do and I don't make my ENTIRE apartment dark---he had stuff blocking out light completely even from the LR windows.

Anyway, he had so much CRAP everywhere---funky lights, weird water things, faux fur rugs, random naked lady pictures, etc. that I think it actually took away from the fact that the apartment looked like crap---giant cracks in the walls, the kitchen was falling apart, etc. The only thing that I liked about the apartment was that it was a nice size but it would have required too much work to get it where it would need to be for me to find it enjoyable.

Another time I was looking through different coops online and I had been looking through the pictures of one place. I started laughing because in one of the pictures, there was a HUGE box of Tampax on the bed, almost as if they were really trying to show it off---and it showed up in more than one picture too. I thought it was funny, since it almost seemed as if it was on display.
Lol I am laughing hysterically because I got all the way to the end when I figured out you were buying and apartment and not a chicken coop. Co-op is not something in the country.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
I saw a tiny bathroom in a home, it was the only one too, it was the width of a small tub and had a small sink to the right of the door and a small toilet to the left, It looked like if you sat on the toilet your knees would hit the tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate