Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My neighbor just planted about 5 broadleaf trees right at the property line. In my part of the country, they grow rapidly and will reach 200' tall with a 50' diameter crown. It'll take 50 years to get that large, but in another 5 or 10 years they'll be large enough to drop a ton of leaves on my property.....
You are really chomping on the bit for a problem

Five or ten years the trees could be dead, you could be dead....fifty years, if you're alive, you could be a refugee in friggin' China.

Ease up, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I think it's pretty clear why the neighbor planted trees on OP's side. Trees do a good job of blocking out problem neighbors.

Have you seen the OP's thread on the fence? I'm seeing a trend. Might be a reason for a dozen or 40 maple trees to be planted stat!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:29 PM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
You buy a leaf blower, and every fall, you blow them onto his property.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Get gutter guards
Gutter guards are a PITA. You have to remove the gutter guards to clean your gutter. Just clean the gutter. It has to be done anyway. There may not be a tree in 100 miles, but gutters will still fill up.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.
1. Sometimes people talk. The neighbor may have told someone what he did. Another neighbor may have seen him doing something strange, etc.

2. If you owe someone money, they can take your house if you don't pay it (except in Texas and maybe a few other states). The judge has nothing to do with that -- it's just the law.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
Oh my goodness. OK, here is my best advice to the OP.

If you are determined to control your neighbors, and make them either

1. destroy the trees they planted on their own property that they paid for with their own hard-earned dollars, or

2. do your yard and gutter clean-up for you because you are too lazy to do it yourself and too cheap to hire someone to do it,

then you need to MOVE.

I'd suggest renting an apartment on a month-to-month basis, because you will be moving pretty often.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 PM

724 posts, read 593,785 times
I feel very sorry for your neighbor.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
There is one retaining wall with a 6' tall fence on top. Their property is 4 feet higher than ours, separated by the retaining wall.

I do not think you are going to be able to justify trimming those trees.....10 foot of space above your back yard/patio....Those trees are going to be well above any area that you'll need to worry about trimming.

You said that your back yard/patio is only 20 feet from this back neighbor. I think you might want to sell and buy a property that has more space in the back.

The neighbors likely wanted to look at trees rather than your roof line when they looked out over their back yard.

Maple trees can be gorgeous in the fall, maybe you'll start to appreciate their beauty over time.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Nothing like looking 10 years down the road to "borrow trouble"! Gives you lots of time to get the gutter guards or talk them into cutting them down, I guess.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.

Not silly at all -- property damage is property damage. To wit . . .

Alabama fan receives 3 years for Auburn tree poisoning - CBS News

To the OP: With such a small backyard, I can understand your concern. I don't know why you are so adamant about not trimming anything that crosses your property line -- you will certainly have that right, and you are obviously concerned about it. So why discount it?

Personally, though, if the area is that small, I'm a little surprised they'd put that many trees in, considering how big they are anticipated to become. 200' is a bit of an exaggeration, since depending on the zone, etc. that you live in, most maples rarely exceed 50':

How Many Feet Tall Can a Maple Tree Grow? | Home Guides | SF Gate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate