Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times

Advertisements

Be sure you do nothing to damage or kill the trees.

MY daughter about 12 years ago in California had some beautiful cottonwood trees about 15 feet inside her line in the back yard. Made her backyard a very nice place to be in the summer. Her neighbor hated trees, so used an injector to send weed killer down 4 feet, to kill the roots of her trees.

My daughter took him to court herself, and collected just over $40,000 for the value of the trees, plus the costs to take them out, plus replace them. It is amazing how much the court thought each tree was worth at the size they were. The court put a lien on his property, that had a 3 month time frame to pay my daughter in full, or they would lose the home to her. Really broke the other property owner, financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Won't you get the benefit in beautiful trees in your back yard? Trees aren't cheap.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Won't you get the benefit in beautiful trees in your back yard? Trees aren't cheap.
as well as privacy IMO

Old 08-17-2016, 03:15 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Be sure you do nothing to damage or kill the trees.

MY daughter about 12 years ago in California had some beautiful cottonwood trees about 15 feet inside her line in the back yard. Made her backyard a very nice place to be in the summer. Her neighbor hated trees, so used an injector to send weed killer down 4 feet, to kill the roots of her trees.

My daughter took him to court herself, and collected just over $40,000 for the value of the trees, plus the costs to take them out, plus replace them. It is amazing how much the court thought each tree was worth at the size they were. The court put a lien on his property, that had a 3 month time frame to pay my daughter in full, or they would lose the home to her. Really broke the other property owner, financially.
Good for her.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
To answer your original question, the answer is no. You can't bill him for that. You just have to suck it up and deal. We have a majestic, heritage red oak in our backyard that dumps leaves into our adjacent neighbor's driveway. The magnolia also dumps leaves along its radius. Every fall leaves from our trees blow anywhere and everywhere. By the same token, leaves from their trees fall in my yard and I have to deal with it. Sure there are property lines but the trees are everywhere. They can be a pain to clean up but they provide shade, privacy and simply look better than a plain bare yard. We specifically moved to our development to get mature trees all around. Thankfully all of my neighbors appreciate the trees around them.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
No, trimming vertically along the property line won't solve the problem.
Yes it will. And it is your ONLY recourse.

Also you may be held responsible for removal and replacement costs if you do anything to kill the trees and are caught at it.

Sorry, but this is entirely common along property lines. Expecting your neighbor to clean up YOUR YARD is not going to fly at all. Even if the leaves are coming from "his" trees.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:33 PM

757 posts, read 839,333 times
I would like to know what type of tree grows so fast in the time frame the OP gave that his gutters are at risk and what tree will have such a large canopy at full maturity.

Just asking. Curious.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
Saltwater. But you didn't hear it from me.

We had a neighbor years ago who planted a row of pine trees down the edge of his driveway on a one foot wide strip he owned. It created a tremendous mess for my parents to deal with.
One may want to have some legal advice before proceeding with such a tactic.

Since when is a natural enhancement to nature viewed as negative. We need more trees, not less in urban settings. Besides which, I question what trees grow to be 200 feet in height. Sequios? Australian Mountain
Ash? Not many more than that.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My neighbor just planted about 5 broadleaf trees right at the property line. In my part of the country, they grow rapidly and will reach 200' tall with a 50' diameter crown. It'll take 50 years to get that large, but in another 5 or 10 years they'll be large enough to drop a ton of leaves on my property.
Wow--if Maple trees grow to 200 feet in your area, you must have really good soil! What type are they--Acer sequoia?

If your neighbor just planted them, though--and if you're really that distraught about some nice Maple trees--offer to help him replant them a bit further away. Your best bet is to just get gutter guards and enjoy the shade--many years hence, of course.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
if your neighbor put these trees in an area where they probably shouldn't go - this odd, terraced-sounding space at the border of your lots, then get off the internet and walk around the corner and introduce yourself and provide them information.

For example, I am dealing right now with some ungodly Leyland Cypresses that were planted by the owner before me, but now have reach full height, maturity, and PITA factor. So, I talked to my neighbor. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate