Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
You are pretty dim to not realize the difference between a transient farm laborer and a farm laborer that owns or rents a property. In one case you have documentation of a person that is attached to a property legally, and can be attached to a crime they commit. A transient laborer most often uses a false name and a false passport, so they can not be tracked for a crime.
Ah - the Mexican murderers and rapists that Mr. Trump spoke of so elequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
You are pretty dim to not realize the difference between a transient farm laborer and a farm laborer that owns or rents a property. In one case you have documentation of a person that is attached to a property legally, and can be attached to a crime they commit. A transient laborer most often uses a false name and a false passport, so they can not be tracked for a crime.
Sounds like a "dog whistle" code for illegals.

Sorry about what happened to you but it seems like you are allowing your personal fears to cloud your judgement regarding transient farm laborers and stereotyping them all as potential rapists .
Also what does her being a Realtor have anything to do with what she is attempting to do with her own property?
I'm sure this realtor is quite aware of the Zoning restrictions on her property and what she can or cannot build.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Quote:
In one case you have documentation of a person that is attached to a property legally, and can be attached to a crime they commit.
What makes you think every landlord has a lease? Sometimes people rent houses to others with a simple handshake.

Quote:
A transient laborer most often uses a false name and a false passport, so they can not be tracked for a crime.
I've never required identification for rentals. And even landlords who do wouldnt know it if the id was fake. I dont think you understand the process.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Seems to me this is pretty straightforward. Not understanding why there is an issue with some of the posters answering the OP's question. The area is zoned for one thing and this realtor is trying to use it for something that is not allowed in that area. The realtor has been public about what she wants to do with it. She's breaking the law. Report her and keep reporting it. If that doesn't help go to your local newspaper or news station. They are usually quite helpful when you can't get any help from local government.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:28 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,760 times
Thanks everyone the official complaint has been filed. I've been working with the County on this for several months, we were waiting for the right time to go after her. The fact that we now have in writing that she is illegally converting a shop into labor housing pretty much will get her illegal residence and labor housing project red-tagged. The woman was cited for an illegal marijuana grow several months ago...so there is a lot more to the story then what I have shared.

The laborer that has been living in his car about 50' from my property everyone calls "serial killer dude" because he is super creepy...he's a white dude.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone the official complaint has been filed. I've been working with the County on this for several months, we were waiting for the right time to go after her. The fact that we now have in writing that she is illegally converting a shop into labor housing pretty much will get her illegal residence and labor housing project red-tagged. The woman was cited for an illegal marijuana grow several months ago...so there is a lot more to the story then what I have shared.

The laborer that has been living in his car about 50' from my property everyone calls "serial killer dude" because he is super creepy...he's a white dude.
It really would have been more helpful if you had shared that information from the beginning.

I'm sorry for what happened to you previously. No one should have to go through that.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:18 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times
Quote:
Hah, a legal permit to build a barn that she plans on living in...the County has been given a head's up.

The farm labor building, she listed publically on a community email list that she was converting a shop over to farm labor housing. I have a screen shot of that email. She is not zoned for farm labor housing.
Are you in Washington state? This is what someone tried with a friend of mine. Next door to her house. She called the city and they came out. Eventually they had to tear it down.

I would turn the agent into the state board of realtors. I see a huge connection, don't care if others don't. After the real estate fraud that lead to the recession, that was due in part by unethical real estate agents.

Real estate is this woman's business. Ethics, integrity, and morals all go into our personal lives. Whether we are at work or not.

Agent is a bad seed and needs to be investigate.

The term REALTORS is marketed as a higher integrity lvel than just a real estate agent. She isn't showing it

Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
There are housing standards and licencing requirements for farm workers even if the landlord is not a farmer or a farm labor contractor. The Migrant and Seasonal Worker's Protection Act (aka MSPA) may be applicable. That is different than leasing a home to a family where the adult(s) happen to work in agriculture. DOL assesses meaningful financial penalties and will likely act promptly. Hopefully you have, or will immediately take, photos of the living conditions to use as evidence.

The nearest office to you, I think, is Eugene. File a complaint. It doesn't take a special form. A letter will do the job, pictures help.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
Quote:
And priests live in a church and are well known To their parishioners and many of them are rapists. So I'm not sure your argument holds water.

I was raped by a HS classmate. My ability to identify him was not a deterrent.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So... it looks like you are assuming that anyone who is transient farm labor is usually by definition a criminal?
Ok, you think its so great, I'll buy the property next door to you and turn it into a boarding house full of transient laborers.

They aren't "by definition criminal." But, the facts are that many of them are criminals because they don't have any other options. They take whatever labor jobs come to them and follow the work. I've worked among many of them. And again, not all are criminals, but it wasn't unheard of either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
What makes you think every landlord has a lease? Sometimes people rent houses to others with a simple handshake.

I've never required identification for rentals. And even landlords who do wouldnt know it if the id was fake. I dont think you understand the process.
MOST landlords that let someone live in their house run a credit and background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate