Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times

Advertisements

Yeah.... one person/business is not going to revive Waco.

And it's history (Branch Davidians) leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I've pretty much stopped watching because all of the homes started to look the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Branch Davidians were not Waco people--Waco thought they were weird outsiders
They just found cheap land and built their compound and did not really mix with people in Waco except to get certified for food stamps (illegally) and Medicaid--

Please don't imply that Waco created or destroyed that group of people
It was the FBI from out of state (Janet Reno) and ATF that lit the fuse, if I remember correctly...
One reason that the Murrough building was chosen by MacVey for revenge for Branch Dravidians was that it was a Federal bldg--
He didn't blow up the courthouse in Waco...

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A couple featured on HGTV's hit show "Fixer Upper" is listing their home in Waco, Texas, for nearly $1 million.

1-bed 'Fixer Upper' home lists for $950K - CNN Video
It's stupidity. Why even list it unless it's for sale by owner. It will never appraise for that so you can't get a mortgage. Who is dumb enough to throw $950 K at them?

Plus if you want a home done by them, just reach out to them and find out what homes Fixer Upper are redoing and look into buying one from them.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Didnt read prior posts

Old 07-09-2017, 12:17 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,885,469 times
Fixer Upper: Show Seen on HGTV Show Selling For $1 Million | Money

I guess they think any publicity is good publicity. But don't people turn off by greed?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
agree that they all look the same, but I would assume that's what people are going for, they know they are getting a "Joanna Gaines house" and would presumably be disappointed if it didn't look that way.

It's interesting to me because I would say objectively, she's very good at what she does and the houses look very nice, but subjectively, they aren't really my taste. Sure, I like certain individual elements, but overall it's too rustic/farmhouse/shabby chic/whatever adjectives are being used these days for me
I especially don't like the corny framed quotes she hangs up, or other words, like ESPRESSO hanging somewhere in a kitchen. Tasteless, immature and unimaginative. For example.

I won't put any art of any kind on my walls that contains words.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 AM

121 posts, read 84,389 times
The Gainses have turned out some great looking redos but like most designers, Joanna refuses to incorporate televisions into most of her spaces, even though television is a major part of most Americans' lifestyles. That would disqualify her as a real designer given that any design project must have a design program which is developed from the client's taste and lifestyle requirements. That the Gainses are Jesus freaks should not make its way into their design projects and is unprofessional when it happens.

Having said that I think the projects that required her to think outside of her shiplap/corny words-on-the-wall/scalloped everything/awnings inside the rooms/everlasting trite old clocks on the wall- box were her best challenges and she rose to them, for the most part. The house for the bachelor with the double islands was good and the contemporary house with concrete walls was good. Mrs. Gaines has terrific ability to visualize spaces and is what she does best. She should be pursuing a career in architecture and not futzing around with flouncy bedspreads and knick knacks and hanging pots of herbs inside houses, where they not only can't be watered but won't grow. (The Gainses deserve credit for many things but not landscape design. Most of their 'landscaping" consists of a few weedy looking liriopes, rangy, untrimmed shrubs, and the same half-dead lawn.)

When they pull it off, their projects are good. The "rustic Italian" was a great space. When they miss, they miss big time. The "barndominium" was just bad design. It was unlivable. Who is going to go up and down stairs forty-five times from the kitchen to the dining room every time you have company? And they didn't even put in a dumb waiter to make that doable. Bad thinking - not a comfortable house. No wonder the people want to sell it.

The Gainses have helped to reinvigorate a tired, ugly old town run by church ladies and old Baptist dinosaurs, and that's a good thing. The residential neighborhoods like Woodway are hilly and green, beautifully treed with live oaks and full of potential. Snazzy new industrial design like the Silos area brings new life and fun to the downtown and will encourage further development there. I'm a native Texan, from both Dallas and Houston, lived abroad many years and could easily go back to Europe, and a designer myself. Yet I am even thinking of moving to Waco now, given the still-affordable property there and slower pace of life, now that I am approaching retirement. Looks like an interesting place to get in on the ground floor.

Last edited by Caro42; 10-18-2017 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A couple featured on HGTV's hit show "Fixer Upper" is listing their home in Waco, Texas, for nearly $1 million.

1-bed 'Fixer Upper' home lists for $950K - CNN Video
I saw that episode. The thing doesn't look worth more than $100k

Old 10-18-2017, 05:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Looks like both the shotgun house and barndominiun are still on the market at their original list prices. Definitely seems to have just been for the publicity.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,458,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I especially don't like the corny framed quotes she hangs up, or other words, like ESPRESSO hanging somewhere in a kitchen. Tasteless, immature and unimaginative. For example.

I won't put any art of any kind on my walls that contains words.
I'm with you on that. And the worst ones are the words that order you to do something, like "Eat" or "Enjoy."

I also find the style repetition tiresome, and I have a high tolerance for HGTV repetition . I dlslike all the old junk and books "decorating" the places. No one will read those books, and the junk is not interesting or beautiful, to me. Maybe I'm jealous of how much cheaper things are in Waco, than in the area in which I live.

I actually like more of exterior landscaping than others here seem to.

In any case, their clients seem to love their work, so they are obviously responding well to what the market in Waco demands. Different strokes, and all that...there are plenty of other shows for me to watch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate