Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:58 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A wide angle lens only capable of taking wide panaramas is capable of telling the condition of a roof?

Mmmm, OK.
Yes, actually. It's not a home inspection, but you can certainly see if the roof looks straight and clean or sagging, moss-covered and streaked.

Hell, google earth images can tell our roof needs to be replaced. And we're doing that right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:37 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,527,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, actually. It's not a home inspection, but you can certainly see if the roof looks straight and clean or sagging, moss-covered and streaked.

Hell, google earth images can tell our roof needs to be replaced. And we're doing that right now.
Are you doing it with or without permission? On a property that's listed or anywhere you please? If someone sent me a solicitation with pictures they took of my property with a drone without my permission I'd find out the local ordinance right away and NEVER give them my business, EVER.

When I lived in a 26th-floor apartment building with units for sale, I had a drone fly right at me on my balcony and up and over the roof. It was enormous and I felt invaded, like the idiots on the roof across the street were having fun laughing at the look on my face.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
We have never taken drone photos of someone's house to solicit business. I did say that pretty clearly in the thread. Not because I think it's any different than a photo from the street or a photo from a helicopter that people sell all the time out here, but because it's not something we do.

We use ours to photograph our listings - clients we already have. And to film pretty local scenery, because it's fun.

Not to harass or scare people, or spy on them. Promise

Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Any drone flying lower than the tops of a few very tall trees on my property will get shot down.
Be sure you don't get caught as that is destruction of property, well over $1000 in value. The law just is not that clear yet.
Here are the rules they should follow:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 PM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
They did a nice exterior shot, probably from across the street but they definitely had to fly over the property. I looked up this agent and all of his listings are kind of formulaic in that they include the same types of drone shots that he included on this flyer.

I have no idea what the laws are in this area regarding drones.
Look up the laws in your city re: drones and privacy. You may be able to report this to police.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
They did a nice exterior shot, probably from across the street but they definitely had to fly over the property. I looked up this agent and all of his listings are kind of formulaic in that they include the same types of drone shots that he included on this flyer.

I have no idea what the laws are in this area regarding drones.
That would creep me out and **** me off. We had an agent take a picture of the front of our house, knock on the door and hand it to my 10 year old daughter asking her to give it to me. Needless to say she didn't get the listing.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,801,198 times
I would be clearly pissed off about this! This realtor would see me on his door step throwing his glossy flyer in his face. Just like the time I went down to the real estate office to throw the yard sign they placed on my property back at them. They had the balls to place a for sale sign in my front yard that was for a house down the street. Oh and David......keep shootin down those drones buddy!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I think there is huge difference between using a drone to photograph a property that is under a listing contract and using a drone to photograph property in the hope that someone might list. It should be illegal if it's not and it should be against the code of ethics, IMHO.

Way before drones, back in 1984, not long after my mother died, my father had a realtor knock on the front door asking if he would like to sell since he was living there alone now!

Disgusting!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Way before drones, back in 1984, not long after my mother died, my father had a realtor knock on the front door asking if he would like to sell since he was living there alone now!

Disgusting!
This and the creepy drone shots are what you get when the supply curve isn't really allowed to be adjusted on price.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:26 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Annie53, that is the lowest of the low. I'd like to think that those types are eventually weeded out of the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate