Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 AM

604 posts, read 839,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Thanks for all of the replies and input. The problem is the job, the rural area plus the dogs. I knew it would be inconvenient so I just need to deal with it.
A lot of people didn't see this post by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Jesus, there are a large number of people who have reading comprehension issues!

She said she is many miles away from any coffee shops, libraries or other options.

And 5 hours over 3 visits - ridiculous. That’s just someone who can’t, or won’t, make up their mind.
I agree! The original post was asking if it was normal to go over a scheduled showing time. Isn't that a legitimate question? My agent told the agents showing the house that they needed to stick to their time. My agent also told me it was best if I vacated the house and take the dogs with me to make anyone viewing the house more comfortable. The other agents did not stick to the time limit. They should have reminded the potential buyers of the time and advised they could always ask for another visit later if they want. My agent asked the other agents to text when they left so that I wouldn't be stuck driving around. None did that. My agent is fine, but the others do not comply with instructions. One left my house unlocked. Isn't that a big no-no?

I guess it's more fun to attack me rather than read my reply posts. One poster accused me of having a short attention span since I couldn't work with people in the house. I guess that poster has a short attention span since they didn't read the posts where I was not in the house during showings.

Another posted something about "adamant refusals to take any of the reasonable advice that's been offered". What did I refuse? Some suggestions were simply not do-able in my area or because of my dogs. I can't take 2 dogs to a library or coffee shop. I can't afford to move into a hotel or another house for an indefinite period. That's not feasible. But adamant refusal? Really?

My agent told me that I should leave the house and take the dogs during showings, period. She said if they ran over to drive around for a little while and give them a little more time. Then go back home, take the dogs in the house, keep the dogs in the house and let the agent know I would be working in the office while they finished up outside. So that's what I did on the last appointment that went over. It was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM

On another note, shouldn't agents that show the house leave their business card? I thought that was common practice. That way the seller knows who was in the house. Only one of the agents showing the house left their card.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
On another note, shouldn't agents that show the house leave their business card? I thought that was common practice. That way the seller knows who was in the house. Only one of the agents showing the house left their card.
Re card... they should, but many dont because the lockboxes send all of the agent info and time to listing agent when opened. If you needed to know who was there you could ask agent. Like if something was damaged.
I leave card in occupied homes, so seller knows it was shown.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Re card... they should, but many dont because the lockboxes send all of the agent info and time to listing agent when opened. If you needed to know who was there you could ask agent. Like if something was damaged.
I leave card in occupied homes, so seller knows it was shown.
Ah, Ok. So when they open the lockbox electronically it identifies them. I didn't know that.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
This is one of those things that varies widely by area, so a local answer will be the only one that matters. In some markets it's optional or uncommon, in our market, it's actually required and we can be fined if we do NOT leave a card.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:47 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:

It IS a common practice in many areas, but not everywhere.
Here's a thread on leaving cards:

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-showings.html

Old 06-02-2018, 05:16 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
One thing sellers need to realize is that once you put your home on the market, it is no longer yours. If you really want to sell it, you have to put up with the inconveniences that go with placing the home on the open market. As a number of people have noted, it is not unusual for people to take an hour or more to view a home and it is not unusual for them to come more than once. This is likely the largest purchase a buyer is ever going to make so they should take their time and make sure the home is what they want and suited for them. You should be considered honored that buyers are seriously considering your home. It obviously has interest and that is good. Jay
With all due respect, this is patently not true. The house is still yours, your rules, your decisions. The phrase is the equivalent of saying that once you agree to go on a date your self is no longer yours. You are merely agreeing to share for a brief time in order to convey information. You don't need to put up with anyone's baloney. That being said, you do need to always keep the end goal in mind.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
A lot of people didn't see this post by me.

I agree! The original post was asking if it was normal to go over a scheduled showing time. Isn't that a legitimate question? My agent told the agents showing the house that they needed to stick to their time. My agent also told me it was best if I vacated the house and take the dogs with me to make anyone viewing the house more comfortable. The other agents did not stick to the time limit. They should have reminded the potential buyers of the time and advised they could always ask for another visit later if they want. My agent asked the other agents to text when they left so that I wouldn't be stuck driving around. None did that. My agent is fine, but the others do not comply with instructions. One left my house unlocked. Isn't that a big no-no?

I guess it's more fun to attack me rather than read my reply posts. One poster accused me of having a short attention span since I couldn't work with people in the house. I guess that poster has a short attention span since they didn't read the posts where I was not in the house during showings.

Another posted something about "adamant refusals to take any of the reasonable advice that's been offered". What did I refuse? Some suggestions were simply not do-able in my area or because of my dogs. I can't take 2 dogs to a library or coffee shop. I can't afford to move into a hotel or another house for an indefinite period. That's not feasible. But adamant refusal? Really?

My agent told me that I should leave the house and take the dogs during showings, period. She said if they ran over to drive around for a little while and give them a little more time. Then go back home, take the dogs in the house, keep the dogs in the house and let the agent know I would be working in the office while they finished up outside. So that's what I did on the last appointment that went over. It was fine.
It sounds like there are multiple agents not sticking to the time limit and you live in a more rural and remote area. If this is a common issue, wouldn’t it make more sense to suggest to realtors *before* they make the appointment that they might want to add in some extra time because other visitors have been overstaying. There’s no harm in adding in an extra 30 minutes because they can always leave early.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 AM

718 posts, read 599,519 times
Could you have a time limit of 30 minutes on the interior of the house and up to an hour or so additional on the outside acreage? That way you can still give potential buyer's time without totally inconveniencing yourself.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM

266 posts, read 245,695 times
Quote:
I understand that selling a house does create some inconvenience. My husband and I gave perfectly reasonable guidelines for showing the house, but people just can't seem to follow them. Doesn't the seller set the guidelines of when they are willing and able to show their home? Sellers don't give up control of their home to RE agents and potential buyers. If someone wants to see a house they can't wait 24 hours? Really?

For what it is worth, I did not specify 1 hour appointments. The agents set all of the appointment times and said they would stick to them since I work from home.

This is not a "distress sale" and we are not in a rush. We put the house on the market and simply asked for 24 hours notice and that agents and potential buyers respect the appointment times since I work from home. I explained that I am really busy at the moment, but work will let up in a week or so and I can be more flexible. That's all. That is not unreasonable.

We live in a rural area so there is not a Starbucks on every corner for me to sit and work if someone is viewing my home. My work requires internet service and a large monitor. I also have 2 dogs and I can't take them to work at an alternate location. One of my dogs is an elderly 95 lb Labrador and it's hard for me to get him in and out of cars. So yes, it's hard to plan work and clear everyone out at the drop of a hat.
Selling a house is a full time job, from keeping it clean inside and out, to showings.

Can the dog stay at home during the showings, or at least some of them? I know in our case we did leave him home in a few instances. He is such an anxious dog, and after an initial greeting, doesn't really care what is going on.

24 hour notice really turns into 12 hours notice because most times the agent is asking the night before. They are trying to work around your guidelines, and the potential buyers.

Your choice is to keep your rigid guidelines and lose potential buyers, take the house off the market, or understand selling a home is a big PIA, and these are all the things that go along with it. If you are saying the homes around you have been on the market for a long period of time, consider yourself very lucky that you have so much interest.

I get it, we went through this last summer. I drove around with my anxious dog for hours as they did back to back showings on night. It was not fun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate