Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:23 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

I explained that I am really busy at the moment, but work will let up in a week or so and I can be more flexible. That's all. That is not unreasonable.

If that is truly the case, maybe you should have waited until all this work frenzy was done and avoided all the angst about what the buyers were doing.

As long as he's not being intrusive or disrespectful, I still think the buyer should be given every opportunity to view a place as HE desires, if I really want to sell.
Maybe you should have waited to put the house on the market? I know in my case, I'd visit several times before making such a big purchase decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 03:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I had someone come 3 times to my suburban house, last time with a contractor. Never got an offer. Her realtor finally told mine that she was incapable of making a decision, mine was the 3rd or 4th house she did this! And I was standing in the driveway in the heat, with 2 large leashed dogs and my 3 cats inside in crates.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
If you think potential buyers are a nuisance...wait until you have to pack and move.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I understand, but I have to work and make a living. I find it hard to believe that potential buyers can't understand that. Since they don't seem to understand, I will assume 2 hours for the rest of the appointments.

My agent has asked the other agents to text her when they leave so that she can text me. We thought that would work so that I won't interrupt them and if they leave early I can get back to work. None have done so.
See this is your problem. Your agent needs to tell them they have an hour and you will be back then because you work from home. Then you go home in one hour. That is what I always tell my clients that work from home. Buyers will push the time frame all the time. Show up and they will go as planned.

So I sell a lot of acreage property and an hour for a showing with 7 acres is very normal. Anything less than that is hard to look at the outbuildings, and the land itself. It has also been my personal experience that buyers chit chat on the property which can be done at another location. Sometimes they just bask in the view, which is fine, but not at the expense of you being able to work.

So, if you were my client, I'd tell you to return home an hour later and go back to work.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's not the looking that often takes a long time... it's the thinking and the talking. That's the part that shouldn't be rushed.
Think and talk outside, ask if you can take pictures. That's what I did with my re agent when looking for a home. One time we did have to go back in to look at something I had forgotten but it was quick.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
If you are home during the day, just tell them to look at the office first and then go back in the office and let them stay looking at the rest of the house and if they need to check something in the office again to just knock.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
So I need to quit my job or get fired for missing excessive work so I don't stand in the way of a sale?
I would check in a hotel if I needed my house sold. You don't seem that desperate. Besides, who says you HAVE to leave the house.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 PM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
We are under contract right now and we went and saw the house we are buying twice and definitely stayed the full hour each time. It's a big decision!

Edited to add after reading more of your replies - I think your realtor has to be firmer. Ours told us 'we've got an hour'. We respected that.

Can you schedule showings in the evenings? Maybe that might be a way to get around people dragging their feet?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:25 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This. If someone has come back to your house multiple times and is looking at it that thoroughly, then they must be seriously considering the house.

I don't know what it is that you do from home, but if you have a dedicated office or some particular space, simply tell the realtors that after an hour, you need to return to work, and will be in the office, but they can stay longer if they need to.

I don't know what type of work you do, but is it something that you could work on while at a library or a coffee shop, with a laptop and a cell phone?
and if you don't, then you need to figure such a space out. "Thank you so much for showing the home. However, on that day, I have a conference call at the end of your hour. I will be in X room. Please make sure you're done with that room, and preferably the inside of the house, by X pm"

Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
It's a hassle. Just be grateful they aren't jumping on your beds, fooling around on your computer, or any of a number of things that have happened to us and to other buyers.

Is your husband walking he property line with potential buyers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate