Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 06:43 AM

604 posts, read 840,158 times

Advertisements

So my house is on the market. It's in a rural area and I work from home and have 2 dogs. My agent put in the MLS that owners need 24 hour notice for showings. I did not expect showings right off the bat due to the area I live in. I should have been prepared for immediate showings, but I didn't expect it based on other houses in the area that sit on the market for usually at least 3-4 months.

Long story short, every potential buyer has gone way over their appointment time, even though they are told I work from home and they must finish on time, or shortly after. Some potential buyers have been to my house 3 times now and they went over on their appointment yesterday by 1/2 an hour. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:52 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
How long of an appointment time do you allot? We usually spend about an hour each time we look at a house. We are also looking in more rural areas since we want some land, I think we would spend less time if it weren’t for the need to check out the land as well.

We’ve only put an offer on one place so far. We only needed to look at it once. Three showings seems excessive.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
How long of an appointment time do you allot? We usually spend about an hour each time we look at a house. We are also looking in more rural areas since we want some land, I think we would spend less time if it weren’t for the need to check out the land as well.

We’ve only put an offer on one place so far. We only needed to look at it once. Three showings seems excessive.
Most appointments were an hour. One was 1.5 hours. We do have 7 acres with a house and pond. But frankly, agents should know if they need more than an hour. Shouldn't they?

The people who have been 3 times have spent almost 5 hours at our home and had my husband and the agent walk the property line. My husband suspects they are very interested, but trying to find issues so they can get a lower price. He's probably right.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Most appointments were an hour. One was 1.5 hours. We do have 7 acres with a house and pond. But frankly, agents should know if they need more than an hour. Shouldn't they?

The people who have been 3 times have spent almost 5 hours at our home and had my husband and the agent walk the property line. My husband suspects they are very interested, but trying to find issues so they can get a lower price. He's probably right.
They may have a short list, with your house on it. If I really loved two properties, it might take me a while to decide, too.

Or they could be nervous first-time buyers, trying to work up the nerve to make such an enormous commitment.

Either way, be patient. It's a huge investment and a huge decision, not a pair of socks.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:43 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Try not to imagine malice where there is no evidence of any.

I know it's a hassle, but repeated showings that run long are a good sign they are very interested in the house.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
The amount of time a client will want to spend looking varies greatly. We have had some clients who have a checklist and measurements they want to take and they spend this effort at every potential property.

Rural properties with acreage and/or outbuildings always take longer with clients who are seriously interested.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The amount of time a client will want to spend looking varies greatly. We have had some clients who have a checklist and measurements they want to take and they spend this effort at every potential property.

Rural properties with acreage and/or outbuildings always take longer with clients who are seriously interested.
Shouldn't the agents know this and plan accordingly?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Try not to imagine malice where there is no evidence of any.

I know it's a hassle, but repeated showings that run long are a good sign they are very interested in the house.
Diana’s first sentence is spot on. We looked at 8 houses, we overstayed just one of those those showings - and it was the house we put an offer on and ultimately purchased. We weren’t looking for problems
or issues, we were about to make the biggest financial decision of our lives thus far and we needed more than hour to be sure it was the right one.

OP, you have 7 acres and a pond. A smart buyer will want to walk the land and view the pond in addition to viewing the house. That will take longer than an hour.

Have your agent ask the buyer’s agent if their buyer will be submitting an offer? If there are any questions or concerns that you can address. It does sound like they are seriously interested in your property.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:00 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Shouldn't the agents know this and plan accordingly?
Hopefully.
Stuff happens.

I have to say, if it is happening repeatedly, perhaps your agent should attend showings, or certainly the 2nd and 3rd showings, to help set a pace.

Some people need an hour in a simple subdivision property, $400,000 house on 1.5 acre.
I can imagine needing more time on 7 acres with pond.

But, something isn't lining up when multiple people need more time than scheduled.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Diana’s first sentence is spot on. We looked at 8 houses, we overstayed just one of those those showings - and it was the house we put an offer on and ultimately purchased. We weren’t looking for problems
or issues, we were about to make the biggest financial decision of our lives thus far and we needed more than hour to be sure it was the right one.

OP, you have 7 acres and a pond. A smart buyer will want to walk the land and view the pond in addition to viewing the house. That will take longer than an hour.

Have your agent ask the buyer’s agent if their buyer will be submitting an offer? If there are any questions or concerns that you can address. It does sound like they are seriously interested in your property.
I understand that buying a house is a big decision. But I feel like 5 to 5.5 hours is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate