Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The chart has no bedrooms that's where my red dot would be,
Actually my red dot wouldn't be in the bedroom either. I only sleep there - but not right now because all the bedrooms are currently empty while I repaint and repair.

One bedroom will be for sewing and all my fiber work. One I will sleep in. And one will be my pottery. Otherwise I would need a workshop, this way my workshop is in the house. Much cheaper and - as another poster noted - way easier to sell than a 1 BR house with a workshop. LOL!

When I was in the market for my first home, I specifically laid out my wants and do-not-wants to the realtor, and the two most important items were firstly that I WOULD NOT be going over budget for any reason, and that I DID NOT want a formal dining room.

She repeatedly broke both strictures and did not seem to have any ability whatsoever to stick to things I would actually consider buying. Ultimately I found a house for sale via the newspaper myself and bought that. What a maroon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:11 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
I love all the dots on the toilet seat and only 1 dot in front of the bathroom sink!

Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, but that was 60+ years ago - 71 years ago for the first houses (I grew up going to the Levittown school district although not in a Levitt house).

People's tastes and standards have changed. The average new home size keeps going up, so I think it's a fair statement to say that in general, the home the average American dreams about is larger than what someone imagined in 1947.

That doesn't mean everyone shares that dream, of course, but if people didn't want bigger houses, builders would be building more smaller ones. They build what they can sell for the most profit they can get, and if the bigger houses sell, it's what they build
it's kind of like the cannolis I got from Whole Foods tonight.

The small cannolis were $2.49 apiece. Plenty of sugary goodness for any one person. They were about 1/2 the size of the large cannolis, at $2.99 apiece. Which ones were purchased?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

The small cannolis were $2.49 apiece. Plenty of sugary goodness for any one person. They were about 1/2 the size of the large cannolis, at $2.99 apiece. Which ones were purchased?
I would buy the smaller ones because I don't need the extra calories. No question.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would buy the smaller ones because I don't need the extra calories. No question.
maybe you would, but I think the reality is most people would buy the bigger ones, and say it's worth it because you are getting so much more for just a small amount more money.

The point being that a larger house is less expensive on a square foot basis than a smaller one, so people justify buying more house since it's not that much more money. Whether they actually need more house or not.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
I suppose rooms in a house are a lot like clothes in a closet. There are some things I wear several times a week (underwear, gym clothes, shoes, coats, etc.) There are some things I wear less often, but still wear regularly and definitely need in my wardrobe (I may not wear a specific shirt more than once a month, but I still need shirts).

Then you have the optional items such as a nice suit, dresses, my husband's tux, etc. We may not wear those things very often, but I'm glad we have them. Just like I'm glad we have a guest bedroom, even though we only have guests staying with us once or twice a year.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
I was looking at the map, thinking about which areas of our house we really use all the time. One thing that's funny about us is we hang out on the porch most of the time and don't really spend much time in the living room. But I wouldn't buy a house without one.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Actually my neighborhood doesn't have any homes below 2500 sq ft and there is a definite price difference with additional space. A 2500 sq ft home costs about 100k less than a 3500 one.

People shouldn't have to justify their home purchases, really. It actually costs more money purchasing a larger home when you factor in the purchase price, heating and cooling, etc. etc.

Larger homes have been around for ages, just look at some of the older victorians. Not sure why it's considered some type of recent phenomenon.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I'd buy the larger one and eat it. Because I'm a sugarholic.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Actually my neighborhood doesn't have any homes below 2500 sq ft and there is a definite price difference with additional space. A 2500 sq ft home costs about 100k less than a 3500 one.

People shouldn't have to justify their home purchases, really. It actually costs more money purchasing a larger home when you factor in the purchase price, heating and cooling, etc. etc.

Larger homes have been around for ages, just look at some of the older victorians. Not sure why it's considered some type of recent phenomenon.
In Victorian times, there were usually two reasons a house would be more than 3000 s.f.: they were rich, and/or they had a large family.

My neighbor's turn-of-the-century Victorian house is about 4000 s.f. The original owner was the founder of the Stambaugh hardware store chain. On a different side of town, there are large houses built in the teens and twenties, by the local steel mills, for the workers in those mills. These houses were large, because the families were often very large. It wasn't unusual for a family to have 10 kids, back then. This is also why you see those big old farm houses out in the country. Farmers were often relatively wealthy, and had large families to help with all the work.

Generally, the people buying large houses today (3000 s.f.+) aren't rich, and usually don't have large families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate