Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:23 PM

257 posts, read 177,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
I'm not here to coddle you. please be polite. This isn't about your sexuality nor do I need to know that info

Nice intro, btw guess you reap back what you sew

But apparently you need to be coddled if the OP's post scandalizes you so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM

257 posts, read 177,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well you, yourself said "Screw PC" - the SAFEST thing to do is to take down ANYTHING that might offend anyone.

But, in this case, I would not.

Do you REALLY want to deal with people who hate your sexuality? Who you are? Your spouse? Selling a house is a long drawn out process. You will be dealing with these people for a month at the very least - maybe more.

It could be difficult and annoying. Or worse, the deal could fall through.

We looked at a house with Klan memorabilia. We just walked out. We don't want to deal with haters.

I don't know, our seller and his seller's agent were PITAs but our buyer's agent dealt with them. I'd have no problem with dealing with people who had a problem with some aspect of my lifestyle for that little amount if it meant getting asking price or above. It's the realtor's job to deal with the buyer.

Walking away from a house with Klan memorabilia, though, even though your seller's agent, not you, would be dealing with them, I'd say you made the right decision there. Even once they were gone, you gotta wonder about the culture of a neighborhood that klansmen would feel comfortable in.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,880 times
So, after all these people, only one didn't consider a house based on the stuff IN it, rather than the house itself. Then there are a ton of assumptions of what may happen without any facts to back it up, and ultimately, no one gives a flying rat's behind about whether the OP is gay or not outside of the SJWs thinking they're somehow making the world a better place by going off on inane rants.

Nor are they going to care whether they're buying a gay couple's house or a straight couple's house.

The dirty truth that no one wants to talk about? The VAST majority of the country couldn't care less whether you're gay or not. Sure, there's some that think you're going to burn in Hell for it, and plenty that think it's disgusting, but at the end of the day, they don't care one tiny bit what you're doing on your own time. But is it going to affect your home sale? Nope. Not at all.

The ones that DO care about who you get freaky with? The SJWs who continue to perpetuate the stereotypes that would have died decades ago had they not kept them alive. But they're not buying your house anyways, so forget about them.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
We were in another City a few weeks ago and visited several new builder model homes. All of them were staged. All of them had photos -
I have NEVER in all my years seen personal photos in a staged model home....

Old 08-15-2018, 03:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
But apparently you need to be coddled if the OP's post scandalizes you so.
I agree that the OP's sexuality is completely irrelevant, so I'm also not sure why it was even mentioned. The advice is the same regardless of orientation.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
I don't know, our seller and his seller's agent were PITAs but our buyer's agent dealt with them. I'd have no problem with dealing with people who had a problem with some aspect of my lifestyle for that little amount if it meant getting asking price or above. It's the realtor's job to deal with the buyer.

Walking away from a house with Klan memorabilia, though, even though your seller's agent, not you, would be dealing with them, I'd say you made the right decision there. Even once they were gone, you gotta wonder about the culture of a neighborhood that klansmen would feel comfortable in.
Although, when bought our house from the nice little old man, we introduced ourselves to the neighbors. And when they made sure it was a real business transaction, they alerted the rest of the neighborhood that we were okay, and had nothing to do with “him”.

No one has ever really said what the deal was, but after him, we were golden.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:17 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
A few things to declutter:
Personal photos.
Stuffed safari kills .
Religious trinkets.
Decals.
Extension cords.
Seems odd but I recall a realtor saying..it gives the notion that you will need more outlets for all your over used power outlets.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In general, ALL family photos should be taken down to stage the house.
That's what we were told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We were told to remove all family photos, as well as collections and anything that might in any way be controversial. Basically, anything that that reflects your personality can be distracting.
Ditto.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree that the OP's sexuality is completely irrelevant, so I'm also not sure why it was even mentioned. The advice is the same regardless of orientation.
I suspect that you are not really confused at all, but it's your way to say you disapprove.

The OP is simply asking if gay marriage photos may turn off certain buyers.
OP was very open that he was not worried about PC and just wants to sell his house.

I would guess that the fact that the advice is the same across the board was not known to him or he would not have asked.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have NEVER in all my years seen personal photos in a staged model home....

I was thinking the same thing. I've been to most of the model homes in our county, and that's not something you'd ever see where I live. But, maybe things are different in other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate