Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree that the OP's sexuality is completely irrelevant, so I'm also not sure why it was even mentioned. The advice is the same regardless of orientation.
Maybe because the OP was concerned it WOULD matter (that they're a gay couple), and didn't realize it's recommended to remove family photos regardless?

I didn't realize this was standard practice, since I've never sold a home... so it isn't unreasonable to believe they didn't know either, and were only worried about this specific aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
So, after all these people, only one didn't consider a house based on the stuff IN it, rather than the house itself. Then there are a ton of assumptions of what may happen without any facts to back it up, and ultimately, no one gives a flying rat's behind about whether the OP is gay or not outside of the SJWs thinking they're somehow making the world a better place by going off on inane rants.

Nor are they going to care whether they're buying a gay couple's house or a straight couple's house.

The dirty truth that no one wants to talk about? The VAST majority of the country couldn't care less whether you're gay or not. Sure, there's some that think you're going to burn in Hell for it, and plenty that think it's disgusting, but at the end of the day, they don't care one tiny bit what you're doing on your own time. But is it going to affect your home sale? Nope. Not at all.

The ones that DO care about who you get freaky with? The SJWs who continue to perpetuate the stereotypes that would have died decades ago had they not kept them alive. But they're not buying your house anyways, so forget about them.
Wrong. I read a story of a prominent Black millionaire who was trying to sell his million dollar house. The house was on the market and didn't sell. A friend told him to take down all his family photos. He did and the house within 48 hrs at full price.

Yes, buyers can have biases. Why are some people in denial that racism, sexism, homophobia exists?

Old 08-16-2018, 06:50 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I remove pics of family because of A) clutter b) because my appearance, and my family make-up, is no one's business. I want people to look at the house and not browse my hall of photos as if they are at a museum. I'm no model, and I hate the thought of strangers commenting or making judgments of me or my family while perusing our photo wall.

As a landlady, I had to enter our renter's apartment to make a repair and was taken by the sheer number of photos of themselves that our renters had on display. Literally 25 8x10 or larger photos of the wife, and the couple in a 4 room apartment, and zero pictures of their relatives (we knew the family and the each have several siblings, nieces, nephews, etc). Of course, I immediately made judgments about this person's self-absorption. That's not what I would want a buyer thinking about...I want them to think "Nice appliances, and what a big living room".

Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
I think It's common advice NOW to remove personal artifacts. However, that wasn't common advice years ago.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wrong. I read a story of a prominent Black millionaire who was trying to sell his million dollar house. The house was on the market and didn't sell. A friend told him to take down all his family photos. He did and the house within 48 hrs at full price.

Yes, buyers can have biases. Why are some people in denial that racism, sexism, homophobia exists?
*sigh*.... A story? OMG! One single anecdotal story! That's it...stop the presses! "Majority" suddenly means the exact same thing as "all", and one single case just brings the whole "majority" argument down!

Seriously....we're going to believe that a "prominent black millionaire" didn't have a realtor that's been in the game longer than a week that would have told him to take down the photos, and a random friend got his house sold? Sure....

Not to mention it's already been shown in this thread plenty of times that family photos can have a negative effect regardless of who the seller is. It's also been shown here that no ones cares if they're black or gay.

But there will always be people such as yourself that will continue to make an issue of something when there isn't one.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have NEVER in all my years seen personal photos in a staged model home....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I've been to most of the model homes in our county, and that's not something you'd ever see where I live. But, maybe things are different in other places.
I hadn't either, until I recently popped in on a group of model homes as I was passing through a city in a different part of my state. What struck me was that all of the photos, in several different houses, were of African-American families -- and this in an area that is predominantly white. I assume that the builders were trying to give the subconscious impression that black people would be welcome there, but to me it just smacked of PC, or even anti-white sentiment. (Yes, I know, I'm sure I was reading way too much into it. But people aren't always rational, and the builders should have taken that into consideration.)

It would have been much better if they had chosen to display pictures of an African-American family in one of their models, and a white family in another, and an Asian family in another, and so on. Or just omitted the family pictures altogether.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
I didn't read all comments, so maybe someone already said this, but as a Realtor, when I walk through a house with my sellers talking about staging, I ask them to remove all personal photos. I don't care if they're straight, gay, black, asian, white, all adopted so everyone's different color of the rainbow... I ask all pictures to be removed because it's hard for buyers to envision their own family in a home when they're constantly looking at pictures of the current family there.

Just make the entire house neutral. I also have my clients take down all name placards for the kids as you don't want your kids' names plastered all over the internet for creeps to see...

Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In general, ALL family photos should be taken down to stage the house.
I agree..this has nothing to do with lifestyle but with staging the home to sell. Anytime we sold a home it was suggested that we remove 'personal' items so buyers can get a 'feel' of living there themselves.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:17 AM

824 posts, read 705,982 times
stereotypes change, "previously owned by a gay..." is NOT a real estate negative thing.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Trust me, my husband and I hate clutter. Our closet is always organized.

The question is can we still have our clothes hung in there or do we need to remove all our clothes?
How would they know its not a single man that lives there? Is one of you 6'8 and the other 5'2?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate