Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's amazing how much you can tell about people from a fish magnet on their car.
I see that one doesn't have to be religious to be holier than thou....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I see that one doesn't have to be religious to be holier than thou....
Yes, she certainly proved that.

This whole thread is just disheartening.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Yep - this thread makes me want to move to Wyoming or someplace where I will have no people around me, just animals. What has happened to people that they are so mean these days? I'm curious how the OP can make a decision to not like a potential buyer who is just looking at a house next door. I realize this is allegedly hypothetical but I don't think you can tell much about someone by just looking at them walking from their vehicle to the front door. Were they carrying a machete? Had lots of tattoos that you don't like? Were they carrying a Confederate flag? How can you make a snap judgment about who should be your neighbor by their appearance?

Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
House across the street from us was for sale - it was vacant for the first 3 years we lived here. Being curious (and possibly a little nosey) we would peek out the window to see who was viewing it. Our only concern was that we were used to not having any one living there. The only time we had any opinion about who was viewing it was when a fairly young couple with four kids in tow and another on the way were viewing it. As soon as the kids were out of the car, they were running around like the Energizer bunny. Just a little too much energy for our stodgy old selves (and too many people for a 900 sf 2 bedroom house).

In the end, they were not the purchasers of the house.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
House across the street from us was for sale - it was vacant for the first 3 years we lived here. Being curious (and possibly a little nosey) we would peek out the window to see who was viewing it. Our only concern was that we were used to not having any one living there. The only time we had any opinion about who was viewing it was when a fairly young couple with four kids in tow and another on the way were viewing it. As soon as the kids were out of the car, they were running around like the Energizer bunny. Just a little too much energy for our stodgy old selves (and too many people for a 900 sf 2 bedroom house).

In the end, they were not the purchasers of the house.
You can have any opinion you want. The problem is when you actively try to prevent people from moving in.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can have any opinion you want. The problem is when you actively try to prevent people from moving in.

True. I would never do anything like that. Heck, there may have been prospective buyers that didn't like the way we looked and decided not to buy.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You folks know how much Harley Davidson's Cost? People buying them have money. They are considered a luxury Motorcycle. Guys my age ride them. Younger guys ride them, Women ride them. Many of my friends ride them. I am not currently an owner but would love to have one. Not all of them are loud. Many people retain the original pipes to keep it quiet. Doctors, Lawyers, Business owners, Nurses, Actors, people of all colors ride Harley Davidson's. One of the guys I work with rides a beautiful bike. He also owns a 2012 Porsche 911 and a Ford F350 that he pulls his trailer with. His wife has a Mercedes SUV and a Mercedes Sedan. You going to discourage this guy from buying a home on your street if he drives the Harley up? He not part of the same class of people that you are because he has a Harley?
Really? Because the last time I checked anyone with a pulse can lease or get a loan for almost any vehicle they want. I don't doubt that many dirvers do have some money stashed away, but seeing someone in almost any kind of vehicle gives no indication to their financial well being.

In fact, I'm more likely to assume that someone driving around in a Toyota Camry or a Honda Odyssey has more savings and a nicer house than someone driving around in a Lexus or a Cadillac. Perhaps not always, but in many cases the former is just more frugal/savvy than the later.

Why else would you see so many people driving around in Escalades, Mercedes, and Audis? A lot of those same drivers have little, none, or negative savings and are likely massively in debt. It doesn't help that our government likes to backstop people's stupid decisions (at the expense of middle class savers) via the welfare system.

Why would a motorcycle be any different? Anyone can get a loan and the manufacturers, dealers, and creditors are more than happy to extend credit to the suckers willing to take it so they can drive/ride around in something shiny for awhile. Creditors want people trapped into the perpetual monthly payment cycle. All they have to do is offer something shiny....for awhile at least.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:36 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon432 View Post
I know the saying that 'you don't get to pick your neighbors'.... but here is a question contrary to that...

Say the house next door to you was for sale. You notice one afternoon some very unsavory looking individuals (for whatever reason, insert your favorite bias here) are looking at the house. Knowing full well at that moment that you wont be able to live next door to those people if they decide to purchase, you need to nip it in the bud.

For example, say you knew of a deficiency in the property or the area that might deter a buyer, would you initiate a conversation with the individuals at that moment and warn them of this? Would you make something up in hopes of sabotaging their interest? What other way would you attempt to derail the situation immediately?

Surely someone will say a person has no right to do such a thing and the answer is to move. However, if that is not possible and your comfort, sanity and safety are on the line by these unsavories, what would you do?
I once was at home and had the doorbell ring. I opened to find a nice couple who asked about the house next door. I said "Oh, you're thinking of buying it?" They said "Yes" I just started laughing maniacally and closed the door....They didn't buy it... I was just messing with them, but they obviously didn't like to live next to a practical joker...

Old 11-24-2018, 04:32 PM

127 posts, read 95,232 times
"How about if some dirtbag rides up on a very loud Harley to look at the place and you dislike loud noises. You know he is going to disturb the peace regularly."

I would much prefer to live next door to a Harley rider than someone who rides a "crotch rocket", "rice burner", etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
I don't know what was so "unsavory" about the potential buyers, and the OP has stated that it had nothing to do with race or any other obvious bias like that. It had to have something to do with how they appeared/came across in a matter of a few seconds, so please, OP, enlighten us. What was it, exactly? We're curious. Everyone is off on the loud motorcycle tangent which may have had absolutely noting to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate