Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times

Advertisements

Our last house: water heater quit working within a couple months, on holiday weekend. Seller included 1 year home warranty and believe it or not it worked! Repair guy came from an hour away, determined the water heater was shot and ordered a new one that he installed less than a week later. Saved about $1000 IIRC. Have heard many stories about how useless home warranties are but good news for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 11:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I'm interested in real experiences where someone bought a home only to discover problems that they should have paid attention or asked the seller to fix (or as a result of being duped). Maybe the cost of fixing something turned out much higher than expected, or something didn't function, or undisclosed bug/rats problem, nearby pollution or noises, bad neighbors, upcoming fees/expenses, etc., etc.... Real-life incidents... Any to share? Thanks in advance.
My property was encroaching onto a vacant lot. Had no idea especially as a first time home buyer.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:46 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I bought a house with rats. I knew it had rats. I stupidly thought that if I got rid of the birdfeeders, cleared the brush, paid some guys $500 to fill the gaps in my foundation with steel wool and spray foam insulation, and continued to put out poison, I would be free of rats.

My bad. I still have rats. It seems that no amount of money can solve this problem.
Steel wool rusts really easily, so that's a bad choice. FYI.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Steel wool rusts really easily, so that's a bad choice. FYI.
Copper mesh is far better.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,011 times
It was my first time buying an already built house, built in 1986. I regret that I trusted my wife during inspection as I was out on a business trip. Bottomline, I have seen lots of issues that weren't found on the inspection report. But I charged it to my experience as a first time home buyer.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
It was my first time buying an already built house, built in 1986. I regret that I trusted my wife during inspection as I was out on a business trip. Bottomline, I have seen lots of issues that weren't found on the inspection report. But I charged it to my experience as a first time home buyer.
Are you saying that your wife should have found a lot of issues that the professional inspector was unable to find? Why would you think that your wife is so qualified in that field that she knows more than the inspector? Perhaps these "issues" weren't really significant issues as far as the condition of the house.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Copper mesh is far better.
Indeed. Those copper coated pot scrubbing pads are an inexpensive option.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:04 PM

27 posts, read 15,352 times
"Good luck. You're one if the kinds of reasons we lose sleep at night worrying about these deals falling apart over issues that aren't that hard to solve if people weren't so stubborn."

So you're turning the fact that a seller holding firm on what it's worth to THEM to sell the house is just a negative personality issue because it doesn't end up benefiting you. Got it! Buyer's agents...Seller's agents... You're all the same...no one is looking out for their represented party's best interest....just their own commission. And, you've proved that with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate