Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I live in Indiana where homes are relatively cheap. I've ran the numbers for a couple who makes 100k a year total, which should be easy in Indiana and has $1000 in monthly debt. So maybe 2 car payments and credit cards. Then I put in a 10k downpayment. Well the mortgage came out to 300k, which is a nice home! That would buy a nice home in Indiana! Help me understand what I'm missing.
I'm not sure why you care, but I think your monthly debt is quite low.

The average person in Indiana carries nearly $7K just in credit card debt:

https://www.businessinsider.com/aver...#34-indiana-18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We qualify for a large mortgage. Larger than we would ever consider.
We qualify for a spiffy luxury car or two. We won't be doing that.
We qualify for nicer furniture. With "18 months NO INTEREST." Nope. No, thanks.
We qualify for platinum/titanium/cesium/toxic levels of credit cards. Huh-uh. Have a nice day.

We qualify for.... blah, blah, yadda, yadda....

The reason some people don't worry about their next move is because they don't buy or grab everything in sight that they "qualify for."
I tell those buyers who want to buy on a one income qualification, rather than to max out, "Smart. Your home should be your shelter from the storm, not a burden and a worry every month."
But, I am truly aware of some markets where buyers are under terrible stress to find housing they can afford.
Exactly.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 AM

215 posts, read 190,398 times
I know everybody uses the combined income to qualify and buy but one thing to consider.
Doing so stretches your ability to pay. One person loses their job (economy crash) and the other will struggle with expenses. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:18 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Seems like it is easy for most household to buy and qualify for a 300k home, so why don’t they?

You're assuming their monthly expenses at only $1000 a month? When we applied for our mortgage, my health insurance alone was $700 a month. So anyway, I said "we" applied, but I had to apply myself because my fiance has poor credit. So that is another reason. I barely got approved for a $100,000 house, with an income of about $88,000, with a credit score of about 780. But I had a good amount of debt, as I was out of work for 10 months before and right after a back surgery. I think you're assuming squeaky clean credit, low debt and low expenses on most people, and I think there are a lot of factors affecting why more people aren't homeowners.

Today, more and more people are also getting their income via contracting jobs with no guaranteed income, which also makes it harder. I held an unconventional job that proved very difficult to verify to their satisfaction. Despite 2 decades of tax returns showing high income, it almost resulted in our being rejected.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm not sure why you care, but I think your monthly debt is quite low.

The average person in Indiana carries nearly $7K just in credit card debt:

https://www.businessinsider.com/aver...#34-indiana-18
"My monthly debt?" I was posting an example, not my personal situation.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You're assuming their monthly expenses at only $1000 a month? When we applied for our mortgage, my health insurance alone was $700 a month. So anyway, I said "we" applied, but I had to apply myself because my fiance has poor credit. So that is another reason. I barely got approved for a $100,000 house, with an income of about $88,000, with a credit score of about 780. But I had a good amount of debt, as I was out of work for 10 months before and right after a back surgery. I think you're assuming squeaky clean credit, low debt and low expenses on most people, and I think there are a lot of factors affecting why more people aren't homeowners.

Today, more and more people are also getting their income via contracting jobs with no guaranteed income, which also makes it harder. I held an unconventional job that proved very difficult to verify to their satisfaction. Despite 2 decades of tax returns showing high income, it almost resulted in our being rejected.
Debt is what is factored into your loan qualification, not monthly expenses from the calculator I used. And you had employer health insurance for $700 a month!?! Sounds abnormal.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Mortgage calculators don’t take into account living expenses outside of debt. Expenses like medical/dental bills, car insurance, day care, cell phone plans, cable/internet bills, and retirement fund contributions - just to name a few.

Most people take these other expenses into account when determining mortgage affordability. Or at least they should.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:51 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We qualify for a large mortgage. Larger than we would ever consider.
We qualify for a spiffy luxury car or two. We won't be doing that.
We qualify for nicer furniture. With "18 months NO INTEREST." Nope. No, thanks.
We qualify for platinum/titanium/cesium/toxic levels of credit cards. Huh-uh. Have a nice day.

We qualify for.... blah, blah, yadda, yadda....

The reason some people don't worry about their next move is because they don't buy or grab everything in sight that they "qualify for."
I tell those buyers who want to buy on a one income qualification, rather than to max out, "Smart. Your home should be your shelter from the storm, not a burden and a worry every month."
But, I am truly aware of some markets where buyers are under terrible stress to find housing they can afford.

Love this.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
What you are missing is 100k is a pretty good income in Indiana, you don't have to spend 300k to buy a first house there, and banks will loan you enough money to keep you broke after making the payments.
the median household income in IN is $54K.

As astounded as people may be at the homes of athletes and entertainers, they could actually buy much more expensive homes. But if $10MM gets you everything you want, why spend $40MM?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:52 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Debt is what is factored into your loan qualification, not monthly expenses from the calculator I used. And you had employer health insurance for $700 a month!?! Sounds abnormal.
Many people have to pay for their own health insurance.

What you are missing is life.

Some people want to go on vacations rather than be house poor.
Some people went to college and have massive school loans.
Some people have children and pay for daycare.
Some people take care of an aging parent.
Some people had a health issue and are making payments on health care debt.
Some people got divorced and have credit issues as a result of that.
Some people don't plan to stay in Indiana and are actively searching for jobs elsewhere.
On and on...

So the bottom line is that people don't do it because they don't want to or they can't because of life circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate