Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:54 PM

4,416 posts, read 2,939,412 times

Advertisements

My point was more that most households should be able to afford a decent home. Not necessarily max out a mortgage. More of a point on household income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Debt service, including both mortgage and car loans, CC debt, etc, should not exceed 30% of income.

Many people are not able to save the money for a 20% down payment. If you pay less than 20% down, you also have to include PMI with the mortgage. There are also many other expenses involved in home ownership over and above the mortgage that also need to be considered...HO insurance, property taxes, repairs and maintenance, increased utilities versus a rental (most renters don't pay sewer/water/garbage and have smaller places, so less elec/gas), furnishing the home, doing or hiring yard maintenance. It's also important to have an emergency fund in place for the $12,000 needed to replace your HVAC system when it blows up in February.

Two income families often also have childcare costs in excess of $1000/month. Don't forget medical/dental insurance costs if the employer doesn't pay those (could be up to $2000/month without subsidies). Add into all this that many people have bad credit ratings, less than a year in their current job, insecure marital situations or other family issues. It's actually really easy to see why so many people don't own homes.
I'm always curious because there are young adults (under 35) with homes, small children etc. I know they make less than me and my wife and always wonder how they are able to afford it.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
My point was more that most households should be able to afford a decent home. Not necessarily max out a mortgage. More of a point on household income.
Only a home that costs the maximum of what a dual income couple can afford (on paper) qualifies as a "decent home?"

Are you taking anything else into consideration outside of this hypothetical mortgage? The inevitability of rising taxes and homeowner's insurance? Maintenance costs? (The bigger and grander the home, the more expensive the maintenance costs in general--and maintenance is an ongoing expense even in a new home.) Utilities? Furnishing said home?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 AM

4,416 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Only a home that costs the maximum of what a dual income couple can afford (on paper) qualifies as a "decent home?"

Are you taking anything else into consideration outside of this hypothetical mortgage? The inevitability of rising taxes and homeowner's insurance? Maintenance costs? (The bigger and grander the home, the more expensive the maintenance costs in general--and maintenance is an ongoing expense even in a new home.) Utilities? Furnishing said home?
Yes. All that is taken into account. I wasn't saying people have to get the max they qualify for.
I guarantee you are one of those people preaching home ownership as a good "investment".

Old 01-22-2020, 07:14 AM

218 posts, read 213,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'm always curious because there are young adults (under 35) with homes, small children etc. I know they make less than me and my wife and always wonder how they are able to afford it.
I would say that many, if not most, of those young adults are what they refer to as "trust fund babies." In my area this is extremely common and everyone is away of it. It's a lot of smoke and mirrors. A combination of "help" from parents in some way, shape, or form, and/or over-extending themselves. Even 40+ age group are having mother or father pick up the tab. The unfair truth is that they will get everything they want with no consequence once the parents pass on. This is life...

Old 01-22-2020, 07:54 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yes. All that is taken into account. I wasn't saying people have to get the max they qualify for.
I guarantee you are one of those people preaching home ownership as a good "investment".
And three houses in, you'd be dead wrong in your assessment (or "guarantee" as you put it).

My house (and the two houses that I owned with my former husband prior to the ownership of my current house), is *not* an investment, but it *is* an asset in which I so happen to live. I did choose my neighborhood carefully when I bought this house (I once lived here as a renter, so I knew the area well) partially with the thought that if I or a family member should have to either sell it or rent it out, they'd have a relatively easy time doing so and make a bit of money in the bargain.

In an area where it's often less expensive to own rather than it is to rent (especially if a buyer is able to put down a full twenty percent when buying a house as I did and plans on remaining in the house long-term as I am), it was a wise move for me to buy when I sold my last house even with the ongoing costs of maintenance.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-22-2020 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
I would say that many, if not most, of those young adults are what they refer to as "trust fund babies." In my area this is extremely common and everyone is away of it. It's a lot of smoke and mirrors. A combination of "help" from parents in some way, shape, or form, and/or over-extending themselves. Even 40+ age group are having mother or father pick up the tab. The unfair truth is that they will get everything they want with no consequence once the parents pass on. This is life...
It’s really a shame, because you didn’t used to need to be a trust fund baby to buy a home. In the late 70s, my brother was able to buy a home with an auto mechanics job at Goodyear, and his wife was able to be a stay at home mom. I don’t think people fully realize how drastically the economy has changed for the working class.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
With today's low interest rates, the rule of thumb is that one would qualify for a mortgage that's about 5-6x one's annual income. And I know people who have to do that, because the cost of housing is so high where they live. For those of us who don't live in such high cost housing areas, I know families who bought right up to the max, and I know people like me, who bought houses that were about 1-2x household income, because I am financially cautious, and an average house was enough for my family.
5-6x our household income is bonkers.

Families need to work backwards. Figure out how much money they are bringing in. Deduct all monthly expenses and a cushion for emergencies. Then look at what's left and let that determine how much you can reasonably spend on a mortgage.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 AM

218 posts, read 213,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s really a shame, because you didn’t used to need to be a trust fund baby to buy a home. In the late 70s, my brother was able to buy a home with an auto mechanics job at Goodyear, and his wife was able to be a stay at home mom. I don’t think people fully realize how drastically the economy has changed for the working class.
Yup! While I wasn't alive during that time period, I was raised to be hyper aware of costs/finances from the past and present. The cost of living and housing has drastically changed. The working class has the choice of staying in the desirable areas (being in significant debt, living paycheck to paycheck, etc.) or being forced out with all low income earners and commuting back in. But it's funny, because the working class is needed to operate inside these desirable areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
5-6x our household income is bonkers.

Families need to work backwards. Figure out how much money they are bringing in. Deduct all monthly expenses and a cushion for emergencies. Then look at what's left and let that determine how much you can reasonably spend on a mortgage.
Yes, you're right. But what I have noticed is that human desire takes over more often than not. I'm sure we've all been there at least once at the dealership when we were younger. That shiny new car looks amazing. You think to yourself that your friends and family would be so impressed, even jealous. All of a sudden the question looming in the back of your head as to whether or not you can swing the payment disappears and you give in. It's all good driving off the lot until the payments, insurance, and cost of ownership catch up.

There are also plenty of homes out there that used to be absolutely beautiful years ago only to now look run down, used as crack houses, condemned, etc. No body thinks about affording the upkeep and taking pride in such as large "investment."

Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 AM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

What sort of home did he buy?
I find that average expectations of today's first timers, or small families, are significantly different than what expectations in the 1970's were.
We see smaller families wanting as many bedrooms as larger families did in the 1970's

And, stats on average new homes support that home sizes have ballooned dramatically.
This is from the Census, 2010, but still holds true, I think:
https://www.census.gov/const/C25Ann/...medavgsqft.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate