Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:00 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

People buy houses with transmission line easements and transmission lines in the yard.
Usually, the easements and transmission lines are there first.

I wouldn't want it, but many people don't really care, and most rental property investors don't care and they get discount prices for their investment properties.
Many renters will rent stuff they wouldn't ever buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 11:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People buy houses with transmission line easements and transmission lines in the yard.
Usually, the easements and transmission lines are there first.

I wouldn't want it, but many people don't really care, and most rental property investors don't care and they get discount prices for their investment properties.
Many renters will rent stuff they wouldn't ever buy.
This is true. I would rent a house with overhead power lines but I would never buy one. Having had underground lines for the past 12 years I don’t think I could go back. Thankfully you can get the lines marked as often as needed for free if you want to do yard work.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
This is true. I would rent a house with overhead power lines but I would never buy one. Having had underground lines for the past 12 years I don’t think I could go back. Thankfully you can get the lines marked as often as needed for free if you want to do yard work.
I've had two houses with underground lines and three or four with overhead.

The underground is a cleaner setup, but I would never let it determine buy or pass on a property.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:59 PM

6,481 posts, read 10,353,739 times
When I lived in South Florida, there were very few underground utilities anywhere as the water table was very shallow and in some areas, due to the shell rock or limestone, with 12" or less of topsoil. Overhead utilities (cable, electrical, phone) were the norm there.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I've had two houses with underground lines and three or four with overhead.

The underground is a cleaner setup, but I would never let it determine buy or pass on a property.
I guess it depends on where you live. For example we have a hurricane on the way. They just changed the forecast and said it will be cat 1 when it crosses over us. They’re calling for widespread power outages. Those could last a long time. During Isabel my parents lost power for 3 weeks. My house has never lost power. Yes it’s a huge factor here. Actually it’s so huge that above ground lines aren’t used here any more and when there are road improvement projects moving the power lines underground is always part of the project.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
When I lived in South Florida, there were very few underground utilities anywhere as the water table was very shallow and in some areas, due to the shell rock or limestone, with 12" or less of topsoil. Overhead utilities (cable, electrical, phone) were the norm there.
They must have figured it out here because I’m about 8 ft above sea level.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have been looking at rental houses and on a good few new builds I have noticed power lines running over the yard. Is this something a lot of people have seen? I was just quite surprised this is allowed. I figured due to safety reasons they wouldn't put power lines over a yard. Also if there is an issue they would have to keep coming in your yard to access them?
There's a big difference between over your YARD and over your HOUSE. The former is normal. The latter is not - not in my city. How far into your property are the power lines? It it's 10 ft or less from a property line, it's a common distance for an easement or ROW to extend onto a lot, either from the road frontage, along a "common backyard" or alley shared by houses on adjacent streets., or both.

If it is officially designated as a utility easement, there is an obligation of the property owner (you or neighbor or whomever) to "maintain" it. YOU must mow, fix hazards, and abstain from building any permanent structures on it. This should have been discussed when you purchased your property, or if erected later, you should have been approached as an impacted property owner with a settlement amount for need of the easement.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There's a big difference between over your YARD and over your HOUSE. The former is normal. The latter is not - not in my city. How far into your property are the power lines? It it's 10 ft or less from a property line, it's a common distance for an easement or ROW to extend onto a lot, either from the road frontage, along a "common backyard" or alley shared by houses on adjacent streets., or both.

If it is officially designated as a utility easement, there is an obligation of the property owner (you or neighbor or whomever) to "maintain" it. YOU must mow, fix hazards, and abstain from building any permanent structures on it. This should have been discussed when you purchased your property, or if erected later, you should have been approached as an impacted property owner with a settlement amount for need of the easement.
Read the OP again. He'd be renting the place, not buying it!!

Old 08-03-2020, 03:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There's a big difference between over your YARD and over your HOUSE. The former is normal. The latter is not - not in my city. ....
It just depends on where the service entry is. Obviously standard practice is to locate it on the side of the house closest to the pole where they're pulling off. But the line may well run over an ell of the house.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Read the OP again. He'd be renting the place, not buying it!!
Said RENTAL HOUSES. This does not indicate whether OP is the renter or will be renting them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate