Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 11:25 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding this: it isn't doing me any good. I'm not selling so all it has done for me is to raise my property taxes. I just got reappraised by the tax man and everything is about $50,000 more than last year. My son's house was reappraised for $100,000 more than last year.
My cabin is up $74,000 in the last 30 days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 11:27 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
......Now, for sale signs appear - and stay. I drive past same signs for few weeks now..........

The For Sale sign doesn't mean the house is still on the market. Many agents leave them up until after escrow closes because it is good advertising for them and they will get phone calls and new clients off that sign.

My son bought a house with a long escrow and even though the house was already sold, the listing agent left the ad up for the entire four months showing that they had the house available. They must have received hundreds of calls inquiring about that house and could convert some of those callers into clients (Sorry, that one is no longer a available but I have another one I can show you). My son bought that house before it even hit the listing service, so it was never available, but the listing agent got four months of advertising off of it anyway.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
I finally had to go remove the sign when I bought my most recent house. I called and called and called the RE office, to no avail. I cut it up and then it fit in the garbage can...

Been thinkin' about putting a "For Sale" sign out there, just for the heck of it! (Give the neighbors something to celebrate, too!) Might even advertise "POOL" too. (Too bad I don't have a pool, LOL!)

List a phone # to someone I don't like, maybe, LOL!

Old 06-19-2021, 11:38 AM

21,942 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Not seeing it where I am. If it's slowing down, it's only because there is ZERO inventory.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:41 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
After the last crash, there were private lenders offering 15 year fixed at 10 5/8, with 30% down, and 30 points... yes, 30. Seems crazy, but consider people were paying 20k for houses, where the previous owner/borrower had a mortgage for 150k...at about 6%, but even if it was 0% the shark bait is much better off. Anyone with a mortgage has the potential to default, often strategically. Down-payment is still the best indicator of potential for default. That is why the FHA system is so vulnerable. 20% down would have kept the six hundred pound gorilla in his cage decades ago.
Well yeah, if you have a junk-ish loan then yeah I could see being underwater causing issues.

But if you bought in recently with an affordable mortgage payment and don't need to sell/move anytime soon what's the issue with technically being underwater? I'll immediately contradict myself and say I think there is a chance that with today's prices, the eventual and and recovery might be on such a long timeline that lots and lots of people would be selling at a loss (i.e., eventually most people move).

Old 06-19-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Everyone’s first friend Tom? Lol. My buddy grew up with him here in San Diego and last I heard he’s living in LA.

Are you certain everyone paid cash? Did you look on the MLS or ask them all personally? The reason I ask is I know some ultra wealthy people and they all have mortgages because they can make more off their money than having it tied up in a house. I’ve actually talked to them about it. Credit is cheap, especially when you’re wealthy. Why tie up a few million when you can make a guaranteed return multiple times of what you can borrow it at?
Exactly! That's what we did. 2.375%.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

There is no right answer, of course, and it has to do with your personal risk tolerance and attempting to have your total portfolio on the Pareto-efficient frontier (if this last statement doesn't make sense to you, just ignore it). .
Exactly true. I remember my dad telling me pay off your house because you will always have a place to live. That was the plan I was on. Our current mortgage paid off in 4 years. I would have accelerated but at 2.875%, why?

And when deciding what level of mortgage to take out on our new house, I wanted lower but I understood the concept of leverage and the fact that inflation allows us to pay off the loan with cheaper $$ than $$ now. So we balanced in between those two. I know if my husband retires/gets laid off, we could pay it off. But I definitely had to overcome the pay off your house ASAP mentality.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:52 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
First, this warning: ANECDOTES AHEAD! NOT HARD DATA!

I have two friends (well, one is a sibling), who live in areas where sales exploded during COVID with a bunch of WFH buyers leaving major metros. In this case, Boston and NYC.

They've said the frenzy reached the peak around Feb/Mar, and since then--partly due to seriously depleted inventory--it's slowed notably. And my friend used to be a small-time flipper so has some ties to the RE world in his area and he's hearing agents starting to talk about buyers' remorse fueled by a growing pressure to return to in-office work.

All of the above seems feasibly logical, and maybe there'll be some price relief if there's a bit of a sell-off in some areas?

END OF ANECDTOES

Old 06-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I think we will see a lot of suburban homes up in the next year or so. As you said, people fled with WFH and now either need to go back to the area, or they moved just far enough away that the commute will be bothersome and entice a move back.

The other trend we could see is people reeling from companies reducing salary based on their new location and cost of living. They may have been sitting pretty on a NY salary in the middle of nowhere, but now that they will receive the local adjustment, they'll be living beyond their means.
Yeah, doubtful. We are moving to Florida in 3 weeks. I will let you know if they reduce our pay.

It's interesting that the same people who think no matter where you live, you should still pay super high taxes think you should get a pay cut if you move to a lower COLA.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:00 PM

351 posts, read 321,263 times
Will be more buyer's remorse since so many are bidding with no inspection clauses.
https://magazine.realtor/daily-news/...buyers-remorse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate