Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 04:42 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Could you still afford your payments during the “covid pause”?
Yes, I could have. But I didn't have to pay, so chose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 04:45 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Opportunity.

The house I'm in was a foreclosure. The previous owner bought it in 2007 and it was foreclosed on in 2009. They paid about $100k more than it was worth.

According to my neighbors, they were well off and could make the payments but walked because they were able to buy a new place after the crash for a really good price and got away from being $100k underwater.
That's weak.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:59 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, I could have. But I didn't have to pay, so chose not to.
I wish I could understand this sense of entitlement. I think.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:00 PM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
My cabin is up $74,000 in the last 30 days...
This happened to a relative of mine, property is up $95k in 2 months!! Crazy!

Old 06-20-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I wish I could understand this sense of entitlement. I think.
Well, I did have a right so to speak not to pay on my student loans for over the past year. The president signed an executive order (well, several orders were signed) establishing loan forbearance due to Covid-19. The loan forbearance, which applied to federal student loans, automatically applied to everyone who held such loans. I didn't ask for forbearance to be applied to my situation, but once placed in forbearance, I wasn't going out of my way to get out of it. If the federal government declared a tax holiday due to the pandemic, I wouldn't have volunteered to pay any taxes either. I'm not going out of my way to give the federal government more money than I am required to.

Now, I would view things differently if people had to actually opt in to receive forbearance on account of some pandemic related financial hardship. But as I mentioned, that wasn't the case here. I'm not going to go out of my way to pay what I am not required to pay in order to feel noble about myself. I violated no rule or law by taking advantage of the forbearance.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:02 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Well, I did have a right so to speak not to pay on my student loans for over the past year. The president signed an executive order (well, several orders were signed) establishing loan forbearance due to Covid-19. The loan forbearance, which applied to federal student loans, automatically applied to everyone who held such loans. I didn't ask for forbearance to be applied to my situation, but once placed in forbearance, I wasn't going out of my way to get out of it. If the federal government declared a tax holiday due to the pandemic, I wouldn't have volunteered to pay any taxes either. I'm not going out of my way to give the federal government more money than I am required to.

Now, I would view things differently if people had to actually opt in to receive forbearance on account of some pandemic related financial hardship. But as I mentioned, that wasn't the case here. I'm not going to go out of my way to pay what I am not required to pay in order to feel noble about myself. I violated no rule or law by taking advantage of the forbearance.
(Federal) student loan forbearance was automatic for all borrowers when it was imposed by the government last year. You had to purposefully opt out if you wanted to continue paying. I found this quite odd, as I had automatic (ACH) payments set up for my my and my spouse's loans, and suddenly these were "turned off". That meant I had to go in an manually pay our loan payments on a monthly basis since the forbearance was started.

A minor inconvenience, but I'm not going to stop paying our student loans if I don't have to, especially because they've stopped charging interest, so we might as well take advantage of knocking down the principal while we have the opportunity...

RM

Old 06-20-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
(Federal) student loan forbearance was automatic for all borrowers when it was imposed by the government last year. You had to purposefully opt out if you wanted to continue paying. I found this quite odd, as I had automatic (ACH) payments set up for my my and my spouse's loans, and suddenly these were "turned off". That meant I had to go in an manually pay our loan payments on a monthly basis since the forbearance was started.

A minor inconvenience, but I'm not going to stop paying our student loans if I don't have to, especially because they've stopped charging interest, so we might as well take advantage of knocking down the principal while we have the opportunity...

RM
It was very odd. I wasn't even tracking forbearance initially until I saw that my automatic loan payments stopped, too.

In your case (and in the case of many), paying interest free into your loan obligation definitely makes a lot of sense as it eats into the principle in a manner that wouldn't have been possible without the forbearance. In my case, since I'm under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program and will only pay back a fraction of my loans regardless (assuming that Congress doesn't eventually end the program before 120 qualifying payments have been counted), this period presents an unprecedented 19 month freebie/savings opportunity that let over $6k remain in my pocket. Best thing about this forbearance that payments missed during the pause still count as if you made qualifying payments towards forgiveness under the program.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:41 PM

110 posts, read 75,594 times
Quote:

So wait, you haven’t been paying your student loans and mortgage for over a year? Or just your student loans?

Old 06-20-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby60611 View Post
So wait, you haven’t been paying your student loans and mortgage for over a year? Or just your student loans?
Oh, I never stopped paying my mortgage. Just the student loans. But my mortgage was never put into forbearance and I refused to opt into the programs that allowed you to temporarily stop paying your mortgage, which would have added years onto your payment obligation period.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:55 PM

136 posts, read 106,005 times
Massive inflation will come before any sort of housing crash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate