Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times

Advertisements

In my census tract, anything listed goes pending in a week or less unless it’s a problem property or priced way beyond the market. The only houses on the market under $1 million have been listed 5 days or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 06:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,362,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's not going to happen overnight for sure but it will be interesting to see what happens and when.
What do you mean “it’s” not going to happen overnight? Foreclosures? I still doubt that there will be more foreclosures that result in prices going down. It will need to be the other way around IMO. Prices will need to come down first, and then more people will go into foreclosure. Right now there’s not really a reason for anyone to go into foreclosure because if they can’t make the payments they should be able to sell and pay off what they owe with the equity (but like I said I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen which would still increase supply and potentially lower prices).

But I agree it will be interesting to see what happens overall. But the way I see it, even if prices drop 20% or so, that basically just puts them back to what they were like 2 years ago. So the only people that would be underwater would be those that bought in that time period. And due to the crazy market, many of those people put a lot of money down so shouldn’t have much incentive to walk away from their houses or anything, especially if interest rates go up and they have a lower rate.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:26 AM

125 posts, read 122,365 times
It’ll crash and there will be many forclosures and a ton of inventory coming onto the market. The need to live in rural areas will pass and people will realize that being far away from the action sucks. City living will begin to come back into style. Businesses are realizing that teleworking pretty much translates to “tele-not doing crap and getting paid” and returning to the office will become the standard.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:51 AM

30,684 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Yes, I'm seeing softening in MD/VA area.

Interestingly, the Biden administration wants more people in houses so the FHA is loosening standards in how high student loan debt is weighted when applying for a mortgage. It's also lowering credit requirements.

It has to do with income driven repayment loans. Recap of article: If you have $200,000 in student loans, it was assumed your repayment was 1% or $2,000/month. However, borrowers are entering into income-driven repayment plans where they might only have to pay $300/month (because of your income) and the balance is forgiven after 20-25 years.

Here's a link https://www.wsj.com/articles/hud-aim...bt-11624008602 Sorry, there's a paywall, but that was the only place I could find an explanation in my quick search.

I used a loan simulator and if I had $200,000 in loans, $50,000/year, 5% increases in income per year, I'd pay between $257-803 until 2041. I'd pay off 116,888 and 185,666 would be forgiven.

Wow. Here' s the link to the simulator https://studentaid.gov/loan-simulato...nel:info-panel)
While the loan simulator has some issues right now, this is exactly how I've been doing things. I have north of $233k in loans (principle and interest) remaining, primarily consisting of law school debt. I'm enrolled in an income driven repayment plan. Being military, only my base pay is considered as income for tax/loan repayment purposes; the generous monthly tax free housing and sustenance payments are not counted as income. Thus, my repayments have been much less than they would have been for someone taking home a similar amount of money after taxes.

When I bought my place back in 2016, my lender didn't take the principle balance into account much, but rather the monthly payment, which was around $220 . . . thus, in my experience, this isn't a new thing. For context, I qualified for a $600k loan at the time and bought a condo for $469k. The fact that I haven't been making payments on my loans for over a year due to the Covid-pause notwithstanding, my current payment obligation is around $320 a month.

Note, I'm enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, so only expect to continue making loan payments until the Fall of 2025, which will be here before you know it. In other words, considering that the current Covid-pause in loan repayment runs through September of 2021, I'll have less than 4 years of income driven payments to make until my loans are forgiven.

As long as the income driven repayment plan is a thing, I do think that lenders should continue to take how much your monthly payment obligation actually is into account as opposed to how much you owe when deciding whether to give you a mortgage.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
It’ll crash and there will be many forclosures and a ton of inventory coming onto the market. The need to live in rural areas will pass and people will realize that being far away from the action sucks. City living will begin to come back into style. Businesses are realizing that teleworking pretty much translates to “tele-not doing crap and getting paid” and returning to the office will become the standard.
Aren’t a lot of city markets already pretty hot too though?

Old 06-20-2021, 08:46 AM

613 posts, read 946,854 times
I moved to S. NH (Seacoast region) in 2015 where houses like mine were selling in the $370's. Now, similar houses are selling for around $475. I have a search on one of the R.E. sites for 6 or 8 towns in this area. Most of the listings are marked pending w/in a few days. In bleeping NH! I can only imagine that the Boston area has gone even more insane than when I left. Also D.C. area, nice towns in N.NJ, etc.

Really high quality towns & areas rarely go down much in my experience. They might level off for awhile during a recession.....

Old 06-20-2021, 08:53 AM

110 posts, read 75,699 times
Again, short memories. It’s never “one thing” that causes or prevents a market from collapsing. It’s a series of things, left unchecked, that conspire to exacerbate existing structural weaknesses in the market. In 2008, it wasn’t just subprime loans; there were multiple factors that had been building for years and contributed to the collapse. It will be the same with 2022. There are numerous large, rapidly expanding cracks in the real estate market. It would take a policy miracle to patch them all simultaneously and keep the market from crashing.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:51 AM

13,673 posts, read 9,752,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Clearly some Ultra High Net Worth Individuals (UHNWI) employ mortgages and some do not; it is employing leverage, and some people are more comfortable employing leverage than others. It is about personal risk tolerance rather than net worth.
It also depends on whether one regards one's primary residence as a consumption-item or an investment-asset. If, after maintenance and insurance and other running-costs, after decades of ownership the house has outpaced inflation, then arguably it's an asset. If not, not. To borrow money to buy an asset makes sense. To borrow to indulge in an expense, makes less sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
...you can design a portfolio with the same expected return as 100% equities but with a lower quantity of risk, or you can design a portfolio with the same quantity of risk as 100% equities but with a higher expected return.
Details?

Old 06-20-2021, 03:13 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,507,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Why would people walk away if they're locked in before rates rise (which I also think they will)? Being underwater only matters if you're selling or tapping the house equity to live, no?
Opportunity.

The house I'm in was a foreclosure. The previous owner bought it in 2007 and it was foreclosed on in 2009. They paid about $100k more than it was worth.

According to my neighbors, they were well off and could make the payments but walked because they were able to buy a new place after the crash for a really good price and got away from being $100k underwater.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While the loan simulator has some issues right now, this is exactly how I've been doing things. I have north of $233k in loans (principle and interest) remaining, primarily consisting of law school debt. I'm enrolled in an income driven repayment plan. Being military, only my base pay is considered as income for tax/loan repayment purposes; the generous monthly tax free housing and sustenance payments are not counted as income. Thus, my repayments have been much less than they would have been for someone taking home a similar amount of money after taxes.

When I bought my place back in 2016, my lender didn't take the principle balance into account much, but rather the monthly payment, which was around $220 . . . thus, in my experience, this isn't a new thing. For context, I qualified for a $600k loan at the time and bought a condo for $469k. The fact that I haven't been making payments on my loans for over a year due to the Covid-pause notwithstanding, my current payment obligation is around $320 a month.

Note, I'm enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, so only expect to continue making loan payments until the Fall of 2025, which will be here before you know it. In other words, considering that the current Covid-pause in loan repayment runs through September of 2021, I'll have less than 4 years of income driven payments to make until my loans are forgiven.

As long as the income driven repayment plan is a thing, I do think that lenders should continue to take how much your monthly payment obligation actually is into account as opposed to how much you owe when deciding whether to give you a mortgage.
Could you still afford your payments during the “covid pause”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate