Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 11:03 AM

104 posts, read 98,256 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing rural property.

The sellers initially answered "YES" for "Are there presently any encroachments, unrecorded easements or boundary line disputes with a neighboring property owner?", on the disclosure form.

That being said, we extended our due diligence period, just in case we needed to do more digging on this matter. When the extension request was submitted, the sellers came back and said that the question was answered incorrectly and should've been a "NO". However, they did agree to our extension.

This morning I received the Title Commitment statement and spoke to my attorney. She said there were no easements uncovered in the title search and that all of the exceptions noted under Schedule B are standard.

Question for the experts. Should I be concerned and do more digging on this issue (e.g. make direct contact with the neighbors to confirm)? I walked the property and the surrounding lots are undeveloped so there are no encroachments that I could see.

Just seems a bit strange that the sellers would answer yes to an explicit question on the form then retract their answer afterwards. They also answered yes to another question regarding government allotments which they also retracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 11:17 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times
If you confirmed with the title agency and your attorney, I don't see a problem to worry about in this case. If you want to pay (your cost) for a new or updated survey you have that option. If the current owner can provide a fairly recent survey, I see no issues.

I am not an attorney or title agent, just my opinion.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
What does "Rural Property" Mean?

800 acres or 1/4 of an acre outside the city? Look at the survey if you have one. But also talk to the Title Company. They are Insuring the Title.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:29 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb808 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing rural property.

The sellers initially answered "YES" for "Are there presently any encroachments, unrecorded easements or boundary line disputes with a neighboring property owner?", on the disclosure form.

That being said, we extended our due diligence period, just in case we needed to do more digging on this matter. When the extension request was submitted, the sellers came back and said that the question was answered incorrectly and should've been a "NO". However, they did agree to our extension.

This morning I received the Title Commitment statement and spoke to my attorney. She said there were no easements uncovered in the title search and that all of the exceptions noted under Schedule B are standard.

Question for the experts. Should I be concerned and do more digging on this issue (e.g. make direct contact with the neighbors to confirm)? I walked the property and the surrounding lots are undeveloped so there are no encroachments that I could see.

Just seems a bit strange that the sellers would answer yes to an explicit question on the form then retract their answer afterwards. They also answered yes to another question regarding government allotments which they also retracted.

Given everything you've said, I would take them at their word that it was an honest mistake.

I don't know where you are, but the disclosure forms in our state are VERY tedious and difficult it is easy to misunderstand or misread the questions. Asking for clarification is always the most important first step. You got that, and more going for you now.

If you want, you can always just go ask the neighbor about the property lines and whether there's ever been a dispute.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What does "Rural Property" Mean?

800 acres or 1/4 of an acre outside the city? Look at the survey if you have one. But also talk to the Title Company. They are Insuring the Title.
It's 10 AC in a rural mountain town.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:11 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
If you're really worried about it, call the Sellers and ask them about it. It doesn't sound like much to worry about, though, as long as the title company will provide title insurance and your attorney is okay with everything.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:22 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
What everyone else said.

The forms are onerous and repetitive, making it easy to goof up. If a title search came back clean, I wouldn't worry about it myself. I would trust the title company more than a form completed by the owner, as they have far more skin in the game if they're wrong.

RM

Old 06-30-2021, 03:14 PM

Thank you everyone for you replies! I feel much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate