Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 01:36 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

It doesn't mater how desperate the seller is, in this market, the house is going to sell for the listing price or more in very little time. Desperate sellers are not having to sell their property for half price in order to get it sold fast.

If the seller has a good agent and tells the agent he needs the house sold fast, the agent will list it at an attractive price and it will sell fast. That means 1-2 thousand under market, not 60% off.

You can do that postcard mailing thing and post "we buy houses" signs around town and hope to catch someone who hasn't listed yet.

You have a better chance of getting a lower price if you can do some fixing yourself. But know what fixing will cost because in my town, at least, the fixers are not priced to leave room to fix them all up. The fixer will end up total cost all included, more than buying a finished turn key house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 01:39 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I've seen websites where they list foreclosures. Can't remember what they are called. You could probably google it.

Your county tax assessor will post the address of houses to be auctioned off for unpaid taxes or foreclosure. That list will be at his office and is probably in the local paper in the classified section.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:03 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've seen websites where they list foreclosures. Can't remember what they are called. You could probably google it.

Your county tax assessor will post the address of houses to be auctioned off for unpaid taxes or foreclosure. That list will be at his office and is probably in the local paper in the classified section.

The real concern for the listing agent and the buyers agent, and it is material information to share:

1. Is the house headed for foreclosure, as in, has the seller received notice?
2. Can the seller afford to sell the house? Does seller have equity or funds to bring to closing so title can be cleared?
These are material facts which a seller should be asked to confirm.

Being behind in payments is not really material, as long as the house can be sold and closed.
Being on notice or "short sale" bound certainly should be disclosed.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:16 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There seem to be any number of 'code words' in 'Realtor-Speak' that mean something else:

Motivated seller/'bring all offers': Overpriced, but willing to drop price and negotiate; Alt. 'It's been on the market for a while and owner is finally willing to begrudgingly drop the price'
Charming/cozy: Small
Must See: Tough sell, but, maybe if the realtor can get you there in person
Ocean/water view: Stand on toilet and look between buildings for a glimpse of the water
Needs TLC: In poor condition
etc.

And then, there are the wide angle pictures that make a closet look like a den ... and kitchen appliances appear to be 5ft wide.
LOL, I've noticed this, too. The distortion makes any room cavernous!

Misleadingly so....

Old 07-17-2021, 11:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
how can we find the most motivated sellers in a particular community

those who are
moving for their job and have to sell
getting divorced
going into foreclosure and cannot keep up with payments ?

Is there a way to get this information or just agents have that ?
I do a bit of data mining when I'm buying a house.

1 - Moving for job and have to sell - Pretty much impossible to find out unless the seller or his/her agent tells you.

2 - Getting divorced - Local divorce courts often have case search features. Run the names and see if anything comes up.

3 - Foreclosures - Might also show up in a court records search.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:54 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I do a bit of data mining when I'm buying a house.

1 - Moving for job and have to sell - Pretty much impossible to find out unless the seller or his/her agent tells you.

2 - Getting divorced - Local divorce courts often have case search features. Run the names and see if anything comes up.

3 - Foreclosures - Might also show up in a court records search.
I'll add a couple:

4 - Find their Facebook page of the owners AND their relatives (it's pretty easy to find those names, too). You'd be amazed what people put there.

5 - Have a look at the tax assessor records. If they haven't paid their RE taxes, you KNOW they have a problem.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:04 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll add a couple:

4 - Find their Facebook page of the owners AND their relatives (it's pretty easy to find those names, too). You'd be amazed what people put there.

5 - Have a look at the tax assessor records. If they haven't paid their RE taxes, you KNOW they have a problem.

Eh. I would not pay my taxes if selling. Let the closing attorney/title company take it out of my proceeds.
Now.... If they are unpaid for a few years, that's a potential issue.

I had a client google her buyers years ago.
It probably cost her at least $30,000. Maybe more.
"They cannot afford my house." So-o-o-o.... They just went down the street and paid cash for a similar house.
IOW, people often have no idea what to do with what they find on social media or the internet in general.
She closed months later for $25,000 less, after doing a list of unnecessary expensive "updates" and repairs for a listing agent who charged her more.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 857,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.james View Post
Good luck with that in the current market(s) unless your particular location is the exception to the current rule.
I will be looking in about six months
willing to buy a house which needs a LOT of cosmetic work as long as it is livable and no major structural problems
willing to wait as long as needed for the right property

Old 07-19-2021, 07:45 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I will be looking in about six months
willing to buy a house which needs a LOT of cosmetic work as long as it is livable and no major structural problems
willing to wait as long as needed for the right property
You don't get deals right now regardless of seller motivation. Deals happen in a buyers market where there is a surplus of listings.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:17 AM

1,320 posts, read 857,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You don't get deals right now regardless of seller motivation. Deals happen in a buyers market where there is a surplus of listings.
what is your best advice in current market ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate