Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

how can we find the most motivated sellers in a particular community

those who are
moving for their job and have to sell
getting divorced
going into foreclosure and cannot keep up with payments ?

Is there a way to get this information or just agents have that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It would be wrong for an agent to disclose a client's motivations without permission from the client.

IF YOU were selling, would you want all buyers to know your wife tossed you for sowing more wild oats?
Or, that you were a bum who didn't pay your bills?

It is the agent's job to cash in that asset for the best price they can get without compromising their client with gossip.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
It's our job to keep the things that can hurt a Buyer or Sellers position confidential unless they tell us it's OK to disclose.
You'll never know they lost their job, getting a divorce or have health issues.

You might see in the description "highly motivated" or "bring all offers" or similar, but in todays market that's fairly rare.

I've had Sellers be home at showings start talking about their situation and after we left and decided to make an offer I told my Buyer Client "Well that just cost them $10,000". One reason Sellers should not be at home for showings. They talk too much.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:53 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post

those who are
getting divorced

One way would be for either you or your agent to check recently-filed probate cases and then contact the executor or personal representative to see if they will be selling a property. Or check death notices and then see if the decedent owned property. I'm in the process of selling my mother's house and I can't tell you how much I've been inundated with phone calls and letters from agents and investors inquiring about the house. (And since the house is already on the MLS, I've warned agents that they are in violation of Standard of Practice 16-4 of NAR's Code of Ethics for them to solicit me. And I added that I didn't want to hear the excuse that they were too lazy to check the MLS before contacting me.)

Old 07-17-2021, 10:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
One way would be for either you or your agent to check recently-filed probate cases and then contact the executor or personal representative to see if they will be selling a property. Or check death notices and then see if the decedent owned property. I'm in the process of selling my mother's house and I can't tell you how much I've been inundated with phone calls and letters from agents and investors inquiring about the house. (And since the house is already on the MLS, I've warned agents that they are in violation of Standard of Practice 16-4 of NAR's Code of Ethics for them to solicit me. And I added that I didn't want to hear the excuse that they were too lazy to check the MLS before contacting me.)
Have to agree with you 110% Such activity would make me feel that I needed a tetanus shot after talking with such an agent.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:10 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
There seem to be any number of 'code words' in 'Realtor-Speak' that mean something else:

Motivated seller/'bring all offers': Overpriced, but willing to drop price and negotiate; Alt. 'It's been on the market for a while and owner is finally willing to begrudgingly drop the price'
Charming/cozy: Small
Must See: Tough sell, but, maybe if the realtor can get you there in person
Ocean/water view: Stand on toilet and look between buildings for a glimpse of the water
Needs TLC: In poor condition
etc.

And then, there are the wide angle pictures that make a closet look like a den ... and kitchen appliances appear to be 5ft wide.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:12 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:

those who are
getting divorced

OP, whatever you do, don't ask your Realtor to do it for you. If you do it on your own, that's another issue you can deal with yourself. If I was a "motivated" seller and you contacted me, I would be largely offended unless the home was a FSBO and I marketed/advertised it that way. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:

those who are
getting divorced

No you don't get that info from agents. I wouldn't disclose this info to my agent. They can't tell you anyway.

Just because someone needs to sell - for whatever reason - doesn't mean the house will be a bargain basement price.

When my grandmother died my mom was the executor of the estate. She took 2 years to sell the house. Why? She had to answer to her 4 siblings and a judge. There was an appraisal done and the house could not be sold for much below the appraisal. It wasn't. It was sold for more than the appraisal.

Foreclosures are entirely different. You're dealing with the bank and they are a pain. They take weeks to respond and frequently won't go lowering than the listing price.

Getting a divorce? You want to be a part of that mess? Divorces can drag on for years and years. Just because there's a divorce doesn't mean either party is in a hurry to sell. They each have their own agenda.

Many of these scenarios are not going to be the land of cheap houses or quick and easy closings.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:13 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Back in the day, my sister was in the market for a home. Dad visited local fire stations inquiring about locals who were elderly and may need to sell. He got a lead on a fixer which he financed for sis.

Finding a property before it is listed where there will be a motivated seller takes work and shoeleather.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:16 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Find out the owner from the assessor database and see if they died, etc.. You might even find their drama on social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate