Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 08:19 AM

43,311 posts, read 77,154,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
what is your best advice in current market ?
Recognize your local market dynamics.
Make a decision to pony up(if you can) or sit back.

No shame in either decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Be prepared for multiple offer situations. Offer what you feel what the home is worth to you, so that if someone pays more you can sleep at night w/o regrets. There is no magic number to offer. Buyers like to ask if they should offer 5% or 10% over, or what's the normal number a house sells over asking price. Forget normal. Offer what it's worth to you.

If you aren't willing to do that, it may be better for you to wait a few years, 5 years, however long it takes for the market to crash.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll add a couple:

4 - Find their Facebook page of the owners AND their relatives (it's pretty easy to find those names, too). You'd be amazed what people put there.

5 - Have a look at the tax assessor records. If they haven't paid their RE taxes, you KNOW they have a problem.
Not everyone uses their real names on FB and some are smart enough to make the FB pages private. If you were to gain access to my page, unbeknownst to you my info is fake: birthdate, occupation, etc. I also sure as heck do not list all of my relatives, but good luck there, too. But hey, that's what phishing is for?

If you are looking to flip homes, there are easier ways to do it than to go all debt-collector and potential sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I had a client google her buyers years ago.
It probably cost her at least $30,000. Maybe more.
"They cannot afford my house." So-o-o-o.... They just went down the street and paid cash for a similar house.
IOW, people often have no idea what to do with what they find on social media or the internet in general.
She closed months later for $25,000 less, after doing a list of unnecessary expensive "updates" and repairs for a listing agent who charged her more.
Ironically, no one has any real idea of what a buyer can afford or not other than the buyer.

Quote:
Okay, my guess is that you are looking to buy a home and seen homes you were interested in not only sold fast, but some may have went for $$$ above asking price.

The good news is that this sellers' market is winding down... well, at least where I live. Regardless, if you live in an area where it gets cold --and I am not talking about LA/San Diego 'cold', or Florida 'cold'-- you will have better luck searching over the winter months.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:19 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The good news is that this sellers' market is winding down... well, at least where I live. Regardless, if you live in an area where it gets cold --and I am not talking about LA/San Diego 'cold', or Florida 'cold'-- you will have better luck searching over the winter months.

Well in my part of Maryland the market shows no sign of slowing. a house near here just sold 20% above the same floor plan (and in better condition) than one a block away did six months ago. Agents are just about begging for empty nesters to to put their house on the market. The minute a house has a 'coming soon' sign it seems to be replaced by an 'under contract' one. Problem is new house prices have gone up or the projects been delayed because of material availability and cost. And people are now looking at only a couple days a week in their DC area office and are willing to live further out for good community and good schools. I get an average of two calls a week from agents either looking for 'a family that desperately wants to move to our school district' or 'because now is a great time to sell'. I ask them 'Then where would I move?' It isn't local agents calling any more it is from 30-75 miles away in the Baltimore and DC suburbs. I've actually changed my message on the house phone to 'If you are a real estate agent I have no intention of selling my house. Anyone else please leave a message and I'll call you back when i get it'

Old 07-20-2021, 02:21 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
OP - All sellers are motivated. Some are motivated to get out of the house, others are motivated to get as much out of the house as they can.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:18 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
One way would be for either you or your agent to check recently-filed probate cases and then contact the executor or personal representative to see if they will be selling a property. Or check death notices and then see if the decedent owned property. I'm in the process of selling my mother's house and I can't tell you how much I've been inundated with phone calls and letters from agents and investors inquiring about the house. (And since the house is already on the MLS, I've warned agents that they are in violation of Standard of Practice 16-4 of NAR's Code of Ethics for them to solicit me. And I added that I didn't want to hear the excuse that they were too lazy to check the MLS before contacting me.)

After my MIL died, realtors started texting my cell asking about her house. I'd reply they have the wrong person. Even after it sold, I still got texts. All they had to do was google the address to see it on zillow.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
After my MIL died, realtors started texting my cell asking about her house. I'd reply they have the wrong person. Even after it sold, I still got texts. All they had to do was google the address to see it on zillow.

Once you're in scumbags' databases, it is difficult to get out, and worse if your contact information is shared or sold.

If you are on the Do Not Call, texts and calls are considered the same violations.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:02 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Once you're in scumbags' databases, it is difficult to get out, and worse if your contact information is shared or sold.

If you are on the Do Not Call, texts and calls are considered the same violations.

I'm clueless how my number got out but I've had it for 20 years, so I guess it's expected.

Not sure about the do not call, think I did it years ago. Will have to look. I'm sure it wouldn't stop people from doing it.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I'm clueless how my number got out but I've had it for 20 years, so I guess it's expected.

Not sure about the do not call, think I did it years ago. Will have to look. I'm sure it wouldn't stop people from doing it.
The DNC is a ten year deal, as I recall. You probably need to re-up.

I was wrong. Just checked: https://www.donotcall.gov/register.html Mine was registered in 2003. I just registered my wife's number as I was checking.

I would suggest you engage any agents who call/text, get name and contact information, and then try to cash in on their violations. Nice money, if you can get it. But, I am serious. Hanging up just prompts them to bother someone else. Or, to call you back tomorrow and see if they have worn you down.

My number is "out there" enough, and used for business, so I just let it lapse years ago off the DNC.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:

The Do Not Call List is useless and was only effective when it was first introduced. The spammers quickly changed their tactics and that was the end of that. I have been registered on the DNC since it first became available with the same phone # I have had back then. I simply don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the phone #. My philosophy is that if the call is important enough, the caller will leave a message and I will decide whether or not I will call back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate