Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 19,187 times

Advertisements

My town does not allow the sell "as is." The buyer wants the bathroom but because the town requires all homes to get a CCO when they are being sold, the building inspector must come out and then you are required to bring everything up to code prior to the closing on the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 01:45 PM

Because my town makes everyone obtain a CCO upon selling the home, the new code applies and everything must be corrected that is not part of the original property card. In essence, because they don't have a record of it, they ask you to behave as thugh you are putting that bathroom in today.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:48 PM

It's construction codes that they are talking about. The bathroom is safe but for instance doesn't have the height clearance (7 ft)or an exhaust fan. Because its not on the original town property card from 1921, they are asking me to either bring it up to day's code (which may not be possible, especially for the height part) or take it out. They do this because they ask each seller to apply for a CCO which brings the inspector out to the property. I wish we had taken it out prior to the inspector coming.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
I still can't believe something like that isn't grandfathered... and I can't believe anyone would actually buy something in that town if they knew the rules could change at any time.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:00 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7216 View Post
Because my town makes everyone obtain a CCO upon selling the home, the new code applies and everything must be corrected that is not part of the original property card. In essence, because they don't have a record of it, they ask you to behave as thugh you are putting that bathroom in today.
Does your state law allow a city to make that sort of rule? have you talked to a local lawyer about the issue?

Ask for a copy of the relevant code sections from the city. They can't just tell you "it's a secret". They may not have it on the web because they use a copyrighted code from outside. Which is ridiculous.

What city is this? Or state, if you don't want to reveal the city.

What's a CCO?

Old 07-28-2021, 06:17 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
We already didn't include it as part of the listing as we knew it was a potential problem. My town mandates CCOs for all home being sold. So it was still inspected by the building inspector and must wither be brought up to code (a long process that will delay the sale), or removed. Another odd thing is that my town does not have the code available for viewing on the web. It's the only town I've ever seen that does this.
That is just about the craziest thing I've ever heard of. I can't believe they're making everyone bring their house regardless of age up to current building code regardless of the home's age. Insane! That's quite an unfair burden to put on homeowners.

What town is this so that I can make sure never to move there?

Quote:
Their paperwork could very well be faulty but they don't care. They still require all home sales to get a CCO. then the building inspector comes out, tells you to get a permit, get a lumber, electrician, the works. It winds up costing so much. The bathroom may very well be up to code from 1940. But it doesn't matter to them.
That's just crazy. Are homes of this age common where you live? Sounds like some plumbers and electricians weren't busy enough and greased some local official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Does your state law allow a city to make that sort of rule? have you talked to a local lawyer about the issue?

Ask for a copy of the relevant code sections from the city. They can't just tell you "it's a secret". They may not have it on the web because they use a copyrighted code from outside. Which is ridiculous.

What city is this? Or state, if you don't want to reveal the city.

What's a CCO?
Maybe she meant COO (Certificate of Occupancy)?

Not sure the OP is going to get anything changed in regard to local regulations in time for their home to sell.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Certificate of Continued Occupancy CCO

Old 07-29-2021, 09:38 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
OP - it is difficult figuring out which comment you are responding to if you don't include at least part of the comment/question or at least the name of the person who asked the question in your response.

I find it surprising that a professional plumber working in the town doesn't know what the code is. I would call the town office and ask how you can get a copy of the relevant sections of the town code. They should at least have a reference copy available at the office that you can look at. It would help to know where you are (at least state and county/township/other higher government entity)

How was this not known when you bought the property? I also find it odd that every time a property is sold it has to be reinspected and brought up to current code. What does your real estate agent say about this?

Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
OP - it is difficult figuring out which comment you are responding to if you don't include at least part of the comment/question or at least the name of the person who asked the question in your response.

I find it surprising that a professional plumber working in the town doesn't know what the code is. I would call the town office and ask how you can get a copy of the relevant sections of the town code. They should at least have a reference copy available at the office that you can look at. It would help to know where you are (at least state and county/township/other higher government entity)

How was this not known when you bought the property? I also find it odd that every time a property is sold it has to be reinspected and brought up to current code. What does your real estate agent say about this?
The thing is, I've heard of a variety of that, but not to the extreme the OP is referring to. As in, I've heard of "My husband and BIL installed a basement bathroom in 2009" and having that cause problems. But typically once it's sold once, its settled.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:06 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Certificate of Continued Occupancy CCO
Never heard of that one before. Around here, we only have Certificates of Occupancy. Either you're allowed to live there or you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

The code has to be in writing somewhere. Otherwise, how do tradespeople learn the local codes in order to meet them? Trial and error? That wouldn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The thing is, I've heard of a variety of that, but not to the extreme the OP is referring to. As in, I've heard of "My husband and BIL installed a basement bathroom in 2009" and having that cause problems. But typically once it's sold once, its settled.
Unpermitted work often causes an issue in a home sale. I've never heard of a building department requiring work as old as the OP's to be brought up to code. This sounds like a very local issue though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate