Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:13 PM

29 posts, read 19,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am selling my 100plus years old home and the bathroom was never on record with the town though it was there prior to our purchase. My town no longer grandfathers in preexisting work so we are opting to remove the bathroom prior to sale. Bringing it up to code will take too long and delay the sale.

My question is how complete must the removal be? Can capped pipe be visible? Or must we sheetrock over? Can the bathtub remain but faucet and shower removed?

Sorry if these are silly questions. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
It's a local question. What do others in your town do when confronted with this issue?

Old 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7216 View Post
...My town no longer grandfathers in preexisting work so we are opting to remove the bathroom prior to sale. Bringing it up to code will take too long and delay the sale...
I always thougt 'bring it up to code' applied to things that had to be fixed if you did something that 'opened up' that particular area... and not until. If ever. Can't you just declare it on the disclosure and let the new folks deal with it?

Old 07-26-2021, 01:40 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Hi all,
I am selling my 100plus years old home and the bathroom was never on record with the town though it was there prior to our purchase. My town no longer grandfathers in preexisting work so we are opting to remove the bathroom prior to sale. Bringing it up to code will take too long and delay the sale.

My question is how complete must the removal be? Can capped pipe be visible? Or must we sheetrock over? Can the bathtub remain but faucet and shower removed?

Sorry if these are silly questions. Thanks for your help.
This is a local ordinance so you will have to find out what their requirements are to have it considered removed.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:28 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Maybe it just can't be figured into the price/description of property. Rather than listed as a two bathroom you can only count it as a one bathroom, which would effect what it regarding financing. But you should contact your city/county regarding on conforming bathrooms/non legal bathroom. Do they have a website

Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I agree, its really a question for the people that are enforcing the rule. My stance might be that THEIR paperwork is faulty, because clearly it has been there a long time.
The other question is what exactly is not to code? And which code are we talking about? 2021 regulations are so much different than say, 1950 codes. Codes might not even been used in your area 100 years ago.
You might be able to tell when the bathroom was put in by the code inside the toilet tank. That might give you ammunition when arguing. Say the toilet says 1972, and they didn't have any regulations then about bathrooms, then you are really not out of compliance. But trying to argue with City Hall is sometimes frustrating.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:36 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Are you being asked by a buyer to take it out? Or are you just doing this preemptively?

I ask because places sell all the time with unpermitted bathrooms and additions. It isn't always an issue to every buyer.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Hi all,
...My town no longer grandfathers in preexisting work so we are opting to remove the bathroom prior to sale....
That doesn't really make sense to me.

Are you telling me that if the house was built in 1920 and someone did a modification in 1925, if that didn't show up on the tax rolls, you have to remove it or make it compliant to 2021 codes? I'd challenge that all day long. Do you REALLY think they still have all the records back 100 years?

Being taxable and being compliant to construction codes are two different things.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Generally speaking, the code that applies was the one in effect when the work was done and not today's unless you're remodeling above a certain dollar amount (typically 50% of house value).

If today's code was applied to sales then no house older than a few years would pass, especially electrical code, because the codes get revamped/updated every couple years.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That doesn't really make sense to me.

Are you telling me that if the house was built in 1920 and someone did a modification in 1925, if that didn't show up on the tax rolls, you have to remove it or make it compliant to 2021 codes? I'd challenge that all day long. Do you REALLY think they still have all the records back 100 years?

Being taxable and being compliant to construction codes are two different things.
Not only that but "code" as required for new construction and "code" as in "you can't sell or get a mortgage with this like that" (health and safety code) are very different.

A Kerosene or gasoline stove in the kitchen is a big no-no. A sink or shower that doesn't have anti-scald valves isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate