Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:57 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So do most people hire attorneys when they build a house?
Yes. And an architect. And those who buy existing homes (newly built or existing) too.
That is the ones who know to ignore what the house salespeople say about it. Even out west.

Short of Court time (if ever needed) it's CHEAP money to CYA. Do so.
In the event it gets nasty... then you'll be glad you already know who to call.
Having that person in on it all from the get go should also reduce the likelihood of it ever getting nasty.
- - -

Again... if you're actually mean building custom from scratch (as some of your comments seem to imply)
then the first stop is an architect and BEFORE picking a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 09:05 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes. And an architect. And those who buy existing homes too.
That is the ones who know to ignore what the house salespeople say about it. Even out west.
LOL. Tempered by the fact that I assume the OP is a real person with real and sincere questions, and I don't believe the OP posted here to be played with.

"Most people hire an architect?" No. They do not. And, nearly never on existing houses in the OP's price target.
The OP isn't going to engage an architect for a <$500,000, 2500 SF house.
@<$200/SF, including land, this house is going to come out of a plan book, or out of a builders' file.
That is how new homes are kept within affordability for some folks.

At that, what specific interaction should the OP expect from an architect from start to closing?
Exactly how will the attorney play into the process from 1st contact through closing?
FWIW: These questions come from a guy with utmost respect for architects and attorneys.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tempered by the fact that I assume the OP is a real person with real and sincere questions,
and I don't believe the OP posted here to be played with.
Well done Mike!

You recognized what was clearly a typo level misstatement,
and despite being clarified a few lines below and clear at the beginning of the thread...
but rather than clarifying the commonly discussed point and actually helping the OP...
you chose to jump right into denigrating the entirety of the post ... and continue to mislead.
Are you proud of yourself?
- - -

To reiterate the several points/contexts:
Most buyers, the newbies and infrequent especially, can be served well by a Realtor.
But EVERY buyer needs an attorney of their own. Even out west.
Someone who knows the local details to consult, to manage the closing, to have a number to call if/when.

Buyers dealing with new construction builders need an attorney even more so. (Step One)
Buyers considering new CUSTOM construction need to start with an architect. (Step One)
Then get the attorney on board before signing anything.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-26-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
A lot depends n where you are starting. Do you have a developed lot? Lot development is very expensive and does nto add any value above building on an already develop lot. Developing the lot means you have to put in sewer, water, gas power, telephone and or cable, a driveway, drainage, grading, top soil, landscaping.

Next will depend on how custom you make the home. Very custom especially high end adds a lot of cost without adding a lot of value. If you put something in like a swimming pool it can cost $50,000 to $150,000 (or even more) but buying a home with a swimming pool does not cost $1 more than buying one without swimming pool. Things like stamped concrete driveway, or a 100 year roof cost a lot and do not add value. There is a laundry list of items like this tankless water heaters, radiated heat, high end flooring, designer coordinated decor, high end appliances, an extra sump pump, a finished basement. .. all of these things do not increase the selling price of a home at all.

A good example: we have a partially finished basement. There are two large bedrooms with big walk in closets. Each bedroom has an escape window well (required by code to allow a bedroom in the basement. There is a nice two room bathroom with a fancy steam shower jacuzzi tub also a very large living room or whatever you want to call it with a suspended ceiling and 24 fluorescent lights so it is bright and cheery. All of this is well finished and wired with extra features (remote controlled lights and ceiling fans, multiple types of lights, extra outlets, etc). I did almost all of the construction work myself but it still cost about $65,000 to complete. It adds 1300 s.f. of living space. None of it counts. the bedrooms or bathroom cannot be listed in real estate listings and in an appraisal we either get $20,000 added for having a finished basement, or in most cases nothing. In other words that $65,000 improvement (figure $100,000 with labor) adds $0 to the price of the home. Whomever buys our home gets it for free.

Likewise if you put in a Bosch dishwater, you are not going to get $800more for the house than you would with a Whirlpool dishwasher. But you are going to spend $800 more.

So, how much more a custom build house costs over buying a mass produced home depends on what you do with the custom built house. Figure a custom house will likely cost 30- 100% more than a similar house mass produced.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Why do I need a real estate attorney?
You don't. Unless you live in a state where you must use an attorney to transfer real property. Those states are not common.

You do need title insurance though. Even if you have cash.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
We are considering to build a house. How much more expensive is it then just buying a house already built.

I know nothing about this process or where to eve start.
Start with the General Contractor. We found one we liked by looking at the homes he had under construction. We had our own lot and he did everything.

You won't get a solid price out of him - prices are too fluid. You'll get a ballpark price and usually you are under no obligation to buy the home he has just built. We certainly weren't and neither was my sister in California. But when Sis wanted to make changes, he just brushed her off saying, "If you don't want the house, I'll take it." So it can be a brutal process.

I would not do it that way again. Today, I would shop for the home I want, or something pretty close.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well done Mike!

You recognized what was clearly a typo level misstatement,
and despite being clarified a few lines below and clear at the beginning of the thread...
but rather than clarifying the commonly discussed point and actually helping the OP...
you chose to jump right into denigrating the entirety of the post ... and continue to mislead.
Are you proud of yourself?
- - -

To reiterate the several points/contexts:
Most buyers, the newbies and infrequent especially, can be served well by a Realtor.
But EVERY buyer needs an attorney of their own. Even out west.
Someone who knows the local details to consult, to manage the closing, to have a number to call if/when.

Buyers dealing with new construction builders need an attorney even more so. (Step One)
Buyers considering new CUSTOM construction need to start with an architect. (Step One)
Then get the attorney on board before signing anything.

And, you failed to answer the questions.
The OP has reasonable questions, and you are unable to tell us WHY OP might hire those professionals, and WHAT the OP might expect from them.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, you failed to answer the questions.
No. I consider the answer to "why have an attorney" to be self evident.
ALL buyers should have an attorney (even out west).
Similar to the other question wrt custom builds... starting with the architect.

And you know all of this.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
No. I consider the answer to "why have an attorney" to be self evident.
ALL buyers should have an attorney (even out west).
Similar to the other question wrt custom builds... starting with the architect.

And you know all of this.

And, we aren't talking about me.
I gave the OP some pretty good detailed advice. But, I gather your implication you have no clue why you tell the OP stuff you cannot explain.
Got it.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:09 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
We are considering to build a house. How much more expensive is it then just buying a house already built.

I know nothing about this process or where to eve start.
Having built custom homes and spec homes with builders, here is my advice:

1.) Have a clear idea of what you want. Work out the details with the builder or architect (if you're using one.)

2.) READ THE CONTRACT. KNOW THE CONTRACT.

3.) Inspect the site daily.

4.) Ask questions if you don't understand.

5.) Document deficiencies and report them in a timely manner.

6.) When it's time for a draw, make darned sure everything is completed. Period, no exceptions or no money. Money will be the biggest motivator for your builder.

7.) Document, document, document.

8.) Refer to #3.

9.) Don't make changes after the fact unless it's absolutely necessary. They will cost you substantially.

10.) If you do want to make changes to the design or layout, make them up front. It's far cheaper and easier to add that additional three feet to the pool deck in the design process that doing it after the fact. And - you'll pay for less for it.

11.) As with #10, realize that a minor change such as described might add $5,000 or $10,000 to the cost. That's pennies on the dollar when it comes to your mortgage, and far cheaper than trying to do it after the fact. Yes, you're spending more, but it's something you'll amortize over time and not have to pay out in a lump sum.

If you've never built a house before, you MUST prepare yourself for a roller coaster ride that will last months. It's stressful as heck, and will occupy a great deal of your time if you do it right. That being said, building a house means you get things the way you want them, and not some cookie-cutter spec home setup that you may end up being unhappy with.

If you're not willing to devote a great deal of time to the process and be actively involved, don't do it. Period.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate