Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just doubt the OP will get a custom home as desired @<$200/SF including land.
I think we're talking about a land/home package from a regional builder/developer.
With material costs what they are currently? Not a chance. I'd bet you wouldn't get $200/ft from a good builder on your own lot. We were getting quotes of $180-200ft in the Charlotte area back in 2018, not including land purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
With material costs what they are currently? Not a chance. I'd bet you wouldn't get $200/ft from a good builder on your own lot. We were getting quotes of $180-200ft in the Charlotte area back in 2018, not including land purchase.

Eh. You shoulda had (paid) an attorney and an architect.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:08 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
In contract now home being built by century homes…. Nice lot…..chose a lot of upgrades……..2750 square feet…….$396000……..that’s $144 a Sq foot.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:44 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Having built custom homes and spec homes with builders, here is my advice:

1.) Have a clear idea of what you want. Work out the details with the builder or architect (if you're using one.)

2.) READ THE CONTRACT. KNOW THE CONTRACT.

3.) Inspect the site daily.

If you've never built a house before, you MUST prepare yourself for a roller coaster ride that will last months. It's stressful as heck, and will occupy a great deal of your time if you do it right. That being said, building a house means you get things the way you want them, and not some cookie-cutter spec home setup that you may end up being unhappy with.

If you're not willing to devote a great deal of time to the process and be actively involved, don't do it. Period.

RM
Be aware most new home construction contracts state you must make an appointment to tour the construction site so there is someone there with you. This is for both safety and protection sake. I work for a Semi-custom home builder and we had a buyer who because of his showing up at all hours of the day and night delayed many aspects of his home due to interrupting the workers, questioning every nail, board, measuring - etc. Just being a PITA. He was there on Thanksgiving day and calling the builder 3-4 times with stupid questions and concerns. Our Subcontractors were fed up with him. He started asking for their cell phone #'s so he could contact them on additional things he wanted. He was a total jerk. We now have a separate document each buyer signs that states their contract can be cancelled due to their interference during the construction phase. If you want to drive by, fine, maybe walk the exterior when there isn't anything going on - but remember it is a construction site you can be injured.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:53 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Be aware most new home construction contracts state you must make an appointment to tour the construction site so there is someone there with you. This is for both safety and protection sake. I work for a Semi-custom home builder and we had a buyer who because of his showing up at all hours of the day and night delayed many aspects of his home due to interrupting the workers, questioning every nail, board, measuring - etc. Just being a PITA. He was there on Thanksgiving day and calling the builder 3-4 times with stupid questions and concerns. Our Subcontractors were fed up with him. He started asking for their cell phone #'s so he could contact them on additional things he wanted. He was a total jerk. We now have a separate document each buyer signs that states their contract can be cancelled due to their interference during the construction phase. If you want to drive by, fine, maybe walk the exterior when there isn't anything going on - but remember it is a construction site you can be injured.
That guy was out of line………..however if I’m having a 400K home built.. you can bet I’m going to walk around and check out the quality of work…….I am making it a habit to NOT inspect when workers are actively involved. However…..here in Texas its constantly HOT, I know what construction does to you when its hot. Couple days ago I walked onto my homesite and handed one of the framers a $20………..you and your Amigos deserve some cervasa’s………..and Good job. I know those guys are not paid a big enough piece of the “pie”

Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
In contract now home being built by century homes…. Nice lot…..chose a lot of upgrades……..2750 square feet…….$396000……..that’s $144 a Sq foot.
Well, my comment was about custom home builders, but that's a pretty good price! Where is the home being built?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh. You shoulda had (paid) an attorney and an architect.
Right?

Old 08-27-2021, 02:36 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,371,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
True, but I didn't say be intrusive.

I have built several custom homes and a number of homes through national builders. We rarely went to the job site during the business day. We would walk the site daily, but most always in the evening after the trades workers were done for the day. we wore appropriate shoes and clothing so as to not endanger ourselves.

Doing so would allow us to compile a punch list of sorts, not every day, mind you, but we usually found a few items of concern on a weekly basis. Depending on the issue and phase of construction we would bring it to the attention of the job superintendent. Some examples:

1.) Drywall contractor nailing rather using drywall screws. Drywall screws were specified in the contract documents. Stepped in and advised contractor on the spot, showed them a copy of the construction documents. 10 minutes later after a trip to their trucks the drywallers were using drywall screws.

2.) Checking doors and walls for being plumb. Found one wall that was grossly out of spec (no more than 1/2" deviation in a 10' run, if I recall correctly.) Framing carpenter also screwed up and used a 2x4 instead of a 2x6 for a wall that had a 4" dryer vent running in it. Wonder how they were going to make that work?

3.) Finish carpenter roughed in for a medicine cabinet in a bathroom that had the medicine cabinet redlined on the plans. Had we not caught this one the drywallers would have roughed out the opening as well.

4.) Controls for a spa pump and heater to be inside lanai "per the model" were left out. Pointed out the requirements in the specifications for such to the job superintendent. Electrician had to come out and install controls.

Nearly every one of these errors or omissions was the result of the contractor or tradesperson not paying attention to the plans or reading the specifications. Nearly every issue we've encountered over the years with builders whether they were spec or custom came down to communication.

RM

Old 08-27-2021, 05:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That's good. I don't need to have a custom home at all.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Where we want to live they don't have that much houses but more empty lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate