Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times

Advertisements

Zestimates are exactly what their name implies (Zillow estimates), it is not an appraisal. Of course some are closer than others. The saying YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. I was a Realtor for 5 years in Florida and before that I bought and sold my own home via For Sale by Owner. I do have a little perspective on the matter.
You don't sound like it.

As a Realtor you do realize if a seller lists the property above the Zestimate, the potential buyers see it as higher than it's worth then will "low ball" the offer. Of course, this all depends on market conditions, if it's like today; a buyer would not care and will offer above asking. But in a "normal market", you'd expect more offer lower than asking, or no offers at all.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:18 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Our rental is now up for sale. We rely on the RE agent to provide a pricing that s reasonable for a sale. It's what we pay her to do. Zillow is just one of the displays.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You don't sound like it.

As a Realtor you do realize if a seller lists the property above the Zestimate, the potential buyers see it as higher than it's worth then will "low ball" the offer. Of course, this all depends on market conditions, if it's like today; a buyer would not care and will offer above asking. But in a "normal market", you'd expect more offer lower than asking, or no offers at all.
How many years of being a Realtor do you have under your belt? I did admit that I was a Realtor. I never claimed to be a current Realtor. I offered an opinion based on my experience. You can disagree and I don't care. Zestimates are not currently considered an appraisal and were never meant to be used as such.

If a potential buyer chooses to make their offer based on one, they do it at their own peril. A seller is not obligated to accept an offer based on Zestimate, EVER !!! The seller can merely say next and wait for a different offer if they choose to.

In many markets, this is a seller's market with more buyers than available homes. Home prices are higher as the amount of new houses has been dramatically been reduced due to the increased cost of building materials and labor shortages during the Covid crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate