Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 06:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What are your damages?
This. A lawsuit is only as valuable as the damages. So, what are you out? Seems like the only thing you have lost is the ability to live somewhere you wanted to. So, let's say the judge awards you the ability to live there...do you really want to live with a bunch of people who clearly don't want to live with you?

You aren't out money, so the judge won't award you money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 07:44 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
OP is a musician. It didn't require a background check to find out he has no job and/or regular income. Which makes declining to accept him as a tenant perfectly legal - and smart.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:50 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy7 View Post

So we have a quick tour and they ask me a few questions.
Sounds like you did have a sort-of interview. What did they ask you and what did you answer?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
Ya know, this actually crossed my mind! It is literally a crime to like women or even respectfully approach a woman.

You know this isn't true, and the fact that you would say it indicates to me why you might have been rejected. Lose the hostility, OK?

Old 09-09-2021, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 11,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP is a musician. It didn't require a background check to find out he has no job and/or regular income. Which makes declining to accept him as a tenant perfectly legal - and smart.
Ummm wow. I make around 6 figures so you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
You know this isn't true, and the fact that you would say it indicates to me why you might have been rejected. Lose the hostility, OK?

I said nothing like this during the interview and was not hostile at all.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:23 AM

865 posts, read 440,674 times
Quote:
Hello guys and girls,

I'll try to make this short...

I'm in California and I inquired about residency at a membership-based co-living agency...

For those that don't know, it's basically a building where people share common areas and bathrooms and sleep in pods...and they also have private rooms (which is what I was interested in)

So they directed me to the website to apply, and there was some type of system error on their website that was making the application page malfunction....

I notified them of the problem and they told me they would go ahead and schedule me for a virtual tour and they will have the website fixed in the meantime...

So we have a quick tour and they ask me a few questions. So today I receive an email from the girl that gave me a tour that they rejected me for membership. And I'm baffled because the girl and I had a very brief tour and I didn't even get to apply because the website is down????

I also don't look weird and didn't say or do anything weird on the virtual tour so I'm confused???

Is it legal to deny some before they even apply?? I didn't even make it to the application? Not even a background check, credit check, or income inquiry?????

This can't be legal.... ESPECIALLY IN California????
No. Why waste your time and money to force someone to accept you? Move on.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:27 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
No. Why waste your time and money to force someone to accept you? Move on.
And if he's a straight single white male, good luck proving discrimination.

It does happen.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:18 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
To quote Star Trek TNG, "We are Borg, resistance is futile" and so would a lawsuit over a rejection by a Co-Op like the OP is asking about.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
... So we have a quick tour and they ask me a few questions. So today I receive an email from the girl that gave me a tour that they rejected me for membership. And I'm baffled because the girl and I had a very brief tour and I didn't even get to apply because the website is down????

I also don't look weird and didn't say or do anything weird on the virtual tour so I'm confused???
Again (as someone else asked you): what did they ask you and how did you answer? And what, specifically, did the email say when they rejected you? They didn't give any reason?

In your other thread about your ex-wife, you finally came out and said you "suffer from ASPD" ... anti-social personality disorder, also known as sociopathy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353928 : "Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental disorder in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others. People with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others harshly or with callous indifference. They show no guilt or remorse for their behavior."

Old 09-09-2021, 12:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
You can probably consult with an attorney who handles housing discrimination cases for no charge. They will be interested in whether there is any reason to think you were turned down on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, religion, or any of the other state or federal protected categories. If not, they probably won't consider it even worth investigating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate