Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Discrimination laws protect people who are in a protected class of people. Not all discrimination is illegal. Only discrimination against a protected class for illegal reasons. Thus, you can discriminate against a black person because they are rude, or short, or they smell like pot. However you cannot discriminate against hem for any characteristics of being black.

Protected classes are race, gender, age, sexual preference, probably some others that I am not thinking of. It also varies from state to state. Within those classifications, usually only certain subgroups are protected. For example, you are not going to get anywhere claiming someone discriminated agaisnt you because you are white.
Do these anti-discrimination laws govern club memberships or is this employment and housing only? OP was trying to join a club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 08:29 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The picture is coming into focus here.

By any chance Justaguy, did you come on to the woman doing the interview?

My guess is her Spidey-sense was tingling. If you have prior experience with a sociopath you can spot them a mile away.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP is a musician. It didn't require a background check to find out he has no job and/or regular income. Which makes declining to accept him as a tenant perfectly legal - and smart.
OP refutes the income statement, but the concept of doing a little background work on the part of the "landlord" is exactly what i was thinking.

You don't have to answer any questions; your (all of ours) entire life is out there on the internet for anyone doing even just a modest amount of work.

They "checked you out" OP, and didn't like what they saw. Could be anything.

Preserve your sanity and forget the whole thing ever happened and move along. You didn't really want to live there anyhow.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy7 View Post
Hello guys and girls,

I'll try to make this short...

I'm in California and I inquired about residency at a membership-based co-living agency...

For those that don't know, it's basically a building where people share common areas and bathrooms and sleep in pods...and they also have private rooms (which is what I was interested in)

So they directed me to the website to apply, and there was some type of system error on their website that was making the application page malfunction....

I notified them of the problem and they told me they would go ahead and schedule me for a virtual tour and they will have the website fixed in the meantime...

So we have a quick tour and they ask me a few questions. So today I receive an email from the girl that gave me a tour that they rejected me for membership. And I'm baffled because the girl and I had a very brief tour and I didn't even get to apply because the website is down????

I also don't look weird and didn't say or do anything weird on the virtual tour so I'm confused???

Is it legal to deny some before they even apply?? I didn't even make it to the application? Not even a background check, credit check, or income inquiry?????

This can't be legal.... ESPECIALLY IN California????
You poor darlin. Your feelings were hurt and you want someone else to pay.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:24 PM

20,114 posts, read 9,028,155 times
you didn't make the cut, let it go. they don't want you, there is no law suit here.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:07 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
You can sue anyone for anything. The question is will you prevail? Ask a lawyer what they think. Lawyers only work on contingency in certain cases and I doubt this qualifies.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:06 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
I cannot imagine why suing would be a good idea in this instance.

-You aren't out any money so there are no damages. What lawyer is going to take this case on contingency? You're going to waste a lot of money.

-You have not listed any reason to suggest you were discriminated against for a reason that is protected by law. I would chalk this up to the person interviewing you either didn't like some of your answers or didn't get a good in-person vibe when you met. They may also worry that as a musician, you might wish to practice your instrument on the premises.

I would simply move on and look for a different place.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:14 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I think https://www.ambitiouscoliving.com/OP wanted to live. Does anybody else think the gorgeous women (supposedly residents) in the photos have something to do with OP's desire to live there? And why he's so annoyed about being turned away?

Old 09-18-2021, 02:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think https://www.ambitiouscoliving.com/OP wanted to live. Does anybody else think the gorgeous women (supposedly residents) in the photos have something to do with OP's desire to live there? And why he's so annoyed about being turned away?

Link didn't work but I figured you meant this: https://www.ambitiouscoliving.com/ .

Just an aside, I hate it when "creative" is used as a noun, as in, "As a creative, you deserve to live in LA where all the action is." (I couldn't write that without laughing!)

It's like, "As a smart, you deserve to live in Boston where all the brilliant students live."

Old 09-21-2021, 04:12 PM

166 posts, read 96,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Link didn't work but I figured you meant this: https://www.ambitiouscoliving.com/ .

Just an aside, I hate it when "creative" is used as a noun, as in, "As a creative, you deserve to live in LA where all the action is." (I couldn't write that without laughing!)

It's like, "As a smart, you deserve to live in Boston where all the brilliant students live."
That link/place is hilarious. More than "creatives" they really advertise access to model/talent agencies, access to red carpet bookings, etc. Obvious from their pics, it's housing for beautiful peeps only. Imagine the primping, preening, muscle flexing, and conversation around the pool. May offer industry connections.
Screening based on superficiality. No doubt the video tour is simply screen out based on looks. So
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate