Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:59 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times

Advertisements

Real property is by far the most expensive thing an ordinary human will buy in his/her lifetime.

I don't think you really want the process to be "easy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 09:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My biggest beef is the mortgage process where one is made to feel like a money launderer and overall crook.
From my earlier reply to somebody complaining about the mortgage process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've always been a bit mystified by people who get indignant when they don't get mortgages. At it's core, it's a lender loaning hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) to an individual. They want/need to get paid back, and they need/expect to make a profit for risking their money.

Yes, I know those loans are collateralized by the home. But have you ever looked at the legal process, time and cost to foreclose? While the institution isn't making any profit off that asset? Then the cost, time, hassle, loss of income when they have to resell the house?

I'm betting that most of you folks would be damn careful about lending just $5,000 to someone. When I've been the lender, I want and expect to get paid back.

And yes, I've had the unpleasant experience of being turned down for a mortgage. I was upset, but I understood. Then I fixed the barriers that the lender had issues with.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My biggest beef is the mortgage process where one is made to feel like a money launderer and overall crook.
Don't forget that this is due primarily because of the careless lending in the early 2000's when banks were writing loans without properly qualifying buyers resulting in the huge housing crash of the mid to late 2000's. As a result, several lending policies were enacted to prevent such an event from happening again. Try buying a car or a house with a briefcase full of cash and you will see even much more scrutiny.

If I was a bank, I would like to know that the folks that I am lending to have the means to pay back that loan. Short sales and foreclosures are very expensive to process for the banks. It's nothing personal, it's just business. Welcome to the 21st century.....

Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that this is due primarily because of the careless lending in the early 2000's when banks were writing loans without properly qualifying buyers resulting in the huge housing crash of the mid to late 2000's. As a result, several lending policies were enacted to prevent such an event from happening again. Try buying a car or a house with a briefcase full of cash and you will see even much more scrutiny.

If I was a bank, I would like to know that the folks that I am lending to have the means to pay back that loan. Short sales and foreclosures are very expensive to process for the banks. It's nothing personal, it's just business. Welcome to the 21st century.....

I get ads now for NO-DOC loans for investment properties....
As if....

People who invite third parties to participate in a personal process shouldn't get overwrought when those third parties have conditions and standards.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:24 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
My last two purchases were cash purchases, new construction from developers. Other then a punch list of minor stuff needing to be finished, the purchase went smooth as silk.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:41 AM

494 posts, read 370,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Welcome to the reality of buying and/or selling a house. I have done it twice myself and my mom has done it at least 5 times since the 1970's. Any time the government gets involved there are always more hoops to jump through.
yes it was my first (2) experiences doing so. My parents have done it 3 times I believe since the 1980s.

The government is terrible

Old 09-12-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Pay cash.
>No prequal/preapproval
>No Appraisal.
>No Commitment Letter
>Far fewer closing costs

Pay list price, at terms dictated by the sellers
>No counteroffers.

Have attorney draft a contract beforehand
>Skip Attorney Review

Waive inspections.
Waive any repairs.
Waive walkthrough.

Now we have reduced the burden to:
Offer/Acceptance/Contract.
Deposit.
Closing day with fewer costs.

Easy-peasy.
LOL are you trolling?

I don't have millions of dollars in cash, and even if I did I wouldn't pump it into real estate, and be at the mercy of a future buyer. I'd rather use the bank's money. Not my own.

I'd never waive inspections. Thats crazy. Thats asking for a money pit.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
4th time doing it in the past 2 years.. its not that bad. I usually close in 30 days. About to close again on the 8th...

Lets see how selling my house goes... i know that will be much easier. Much more easier since im in Austin LOL

God bless you sir. 4 times in 2 years proves to me you have incredible patience, will power, and are okay with stress.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:05 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
LOL are you trolling?

I don't have millions of dollars in cash, and even if I did I wouldn't pump it into real estate, and be at the mercy of a future buyer. I'd rather use the bank's money. Not my own.

I'd never waive inspections. Thats crazy. Thats asking for a money pit.

Not trolling at all.
Just removed a lot of fluff that seems to complicate things for you.

Observe:
"I'd rather use the bank's money."
IOW, you want a third party to be at the mercy of future buyers. And, you want them to assume that role with little risk or effort on your part?
As if it actually works like that?

As I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

People who invite third parties to participate in a personal process shouldn't get overwrought when those third parties have conditions and standards.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:09 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
Not all states require an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate