Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 11:08 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are plenty of affordable homes available in most states, they just are not where people want to live.
This is what I believe as well.

Many folks do not want to move to where they can afford a home and it seems that less are interested in fixer uppers.

They think it's a unique to them issue but many of us have lived in places we didn't love because it was what we could afford.

Just using OP's example of San Antonio - there are (according to Realtor.com) 1,327 homes for sale for $250k and less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 11:11 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
For about 6 or 8 years during the 1980s, I argued the exact same thing. I looked around Silicon Valley and said to myself, "in a few years, networking technology will improve to the point where the high paying engineering jobs will be sent overseas and to remote places in the USA to be done by telecommuters -- so I'm not going to buy that overpriced condo/townhouse/single-family-home becaus the price of real estate is going to plummet like an anvil attached to the leg of Wiley Coyote in a Road Runner cartoon."

Well, as you can see, I suck at forecasting the future. Hell, I have a hard enough time forecasting the past.
Yup
In the early 2000s people told me don’t buy, it’s going down, it can’t stay up.
After waiting year after year it didn’t and prices went up .could have bought for,275k
I bought at 600k and sold a year later at 700k.
It did drop to about 550k during the recession. Today it’s about 1.2 million.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:28 PM

16 posts, read 17,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Just using OP's example of San Antonio - there are (according to Realtor.com) 1,327 homes for sale for $250k and less.
Those are homes that were probably closer to $100k 2 or 3 years ago, this is the part people seem to be glossing over. Some were probably under $100k.

The people buying them were only able to afford around that. A lot of San Antonio is pretty rough and old, and those prices reflected that.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:43 PM

I opened up a random house on zillow in this area, and this is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

You're supposed to shell out or finance an extra $250k 3-4 years later because? I don't really know. And again, inventory is back to normal here, and rates are 2x higher than they were in 2019.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Both the U.S. and Canada have seen record immigration rates in contrast with less housing starts than we had in the 70s. Its a classic "supply and demand" problem where demand for housing is outstripping the supply of housing at an ever increasing rate. Until this trend reverses to the point where supply begins to outstrip demand, prices will continue to increase.

Remember: The market doesn't care if YOU can afford a home, only that SOMEONE can afford a home.

As for the effect of interest rates on housing affordability, do you really think the average Joe who purchased a home for $1 million four years ago is going to take a loss of $400,000 and sell it for $600,000 just so housing becomes more affordable? When people have invested hundreds of thousands in their home they are not likely to sell at a loss unless it is the only economic option available, and even then will probably try to hold on until the mortgage holder forecloses on them.
The average Joe who purchased a house for $1 million 4 years ago would probably list their house for closer to $2 million now, that's what I'm talking about.

I don't know what kind of immigrants are buying houses in that price range in south central Texas either, or what kind of average Joe can afford a house for over a million in the first place.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:39 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
But what were the average purchase price to average earning ratios back then?
That is about as relevant as the average waistline-to-IQ ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Around here, the best city in the area has a median sale price of around $400,000 with median household of around $50,000. It's not really the rates that are the problems - it's very high prices and relatively low incomes in many areas.
(Median sale price)/(median household income) is a meaningless ratio.

You can purchase a house with ZERO income when you're just executing an asset class transfer. It isn't always about income; sometimes it is about wealth.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 11-15-2023 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 02:05 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokarK View Post
...what kind of average Joe can afford a house for over a million in the first place.
How about an Average Joe engineer or low-level engineering manager who works for Apple or Amazon or Meta (Facebook) or Dell or Google or Tesla or Cisco or Intel or AMD or X (Twitter) or IBM or Oracle or Salesforce or Service Now or Adobe or Qualcomm or SAP or Intuit or... well, you get the idea.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:09 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
How about an Average Joe engineer or low-level engineering manager who works for Apple or Amazon or Meta (Facebook) or Dell or Google or Tesla or Cisco or Intel or AMD or X (Twitter) or IBM or Oracle or Salesforce or Service Now or Adobe or Qualcomm or SAP or Intuit or... well, you get the idea.
Maybe he should have said “average salary Joe” instead? I get that the houses being sold are affordable to the people who are buying them. But you seem to ignore the large segment of the population that have “decent” salaries who still can’t afford to buy in some areas.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:47 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokarK View Post
I opened up a random house on zillow in this area, and this is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

You're supposed to shell out or finance an extra $250k 3-4 years later because? I don't really know. And again, inventory is back to normal here, and rates are 2x higher than they were in 2019.
You can't just look at prices like that. What if that house was a fixer and the seller put $150,000 into it to improve it? Just looking at the price history doesn't tell you if there were significant improvements along the way.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can't just look at prices like that. What if that house was a fixer and the seller put $150,000 into it to improve it? Just looking at the price history doesn't tell you if there were significant improvements along the way.
It's the whole market, not just one house. Houses are priced 70% to 100%+ over what they were in 2020. There are no real improvements on these homes, if anything they're older and potentially have more issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate