Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 07:11 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I know plenty. It's not like Portland, Oregon is the big city. I consider it backwater BFE compared to living in the Bay Area. But, it does sound like you are further out in BFE.
Portland is a major city. It may not be the Bay Area, but it certainly isn't nowhere.

I'm two hours from anywhere with a Costco/Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 07:54 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
rates are right in their normal historical range .

we just got used to lower rates but they were not the norm
My first mortgage was 8% and I was thrilled to get financed!

2% mortgages were not normal and people expect that forever.............well nope that's not happening

Old 11-15-2023, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Portland is a major city. It may not be the Bay Area, but it certainly isn't nowhere.

Yes, in fact Portland is bigger than Oakland, double the area, 200k more population. You can't compare a city to an "area". The Bay Area includes 9 counties and 101 municipalities (cities/towns).

Old 11-15-2023, 08:03 AM

333 posts, read 153,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokarK View Post
Inventory here is back to pre-lockdown levels, I don't get it. Rates are what, 3 times what they were at their lows? Prices have to return to reality.
Both the U.S. and Canada have seen record immigration rates in contrast with less housing starts than we had in the 70s. Its a classic "supply and demand" problem where demand for housing is outstripping the supply of housing at an ever increasing rate. Until this trend reverses to the point where supply begins to outstrip demand, prices will continue to increase.

Remember: The market doesn't care if YOU can afford a home, only that SOMEONE can afford a home.

As for the effect of interest rates on housing affordability, do you really think the average Joe who purchased a home for $1 million four years ago is going to take a loss of $400,000 and sell it for $600,000 just so housing becomes more affordable? When people have invested hundreds of thousands in their home they are not likely to sell at a loss unless it is the only economic option available, and even then will probably try to hold on until the mortgage holder forecloses on them.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:48 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
The thing is, houses are still selling to someone, regardless of the prices and interest rates. Until buyers stop buying, the prices won’t stall or go down. We’ve suffered through that happening. In 2010, we had a hard time selling our house, and the one we bought took about 8 years more to begin to appreciate.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

2% mortgages were not normal and people expect that forever.............well nope that's not happening
But what were the average purchase price to average earning ratios back then?

Around here, the best city in the area has a median sale price of around $400,000 with median household of around $50,000.

It's not really the rates that are the problems - it's very high prices and relatively low incomes in many areas.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:00 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
When the rate drops again in the near future, the home price will go EVEN HIGHER!
That isn't clear - there will be two factors:

1) demand will increase, as sidelined buyers will re-enter the market
2) supply will increase, as sellers will re-enter the market because of a reduced mortgage interest rate on a replacement home.

What happens to prices when both demand increases and supply increases?

It depends.

It depends on the slopes of the supply and demand curves, aka price elasticity of demand and price elasticity of supply.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:02 AM

106,589 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

real estate was booming here in nyc back in 1987 when i bought my first investment property .

i was thrilled to get 8-1/4%

Old 11-15-2023, 10:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

It's a free country. I have lived all over the place in my 60 years and I grew up poor and without parents. I never spent time whining about it though. The way you talk you never had any choice over where to live.

I think I know what BFE is and this Is it. When I lived on Ft. Richardson in 1984 they were finally building a Costco when we left in 1987 (food bills were outrageous in Alaska back in the day). I lived in Northern Idaho at a time there was just about zero (back in the 70's). Portland is BFE compared to the Bay Area (it was a shocking adjustment).

People do all kinds of things to get ahead in life including, but, not limited to living overseas, relocating for work and now working from home for a company at a great distance. It's your mindset. Do not act like you are married when you are not.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:08 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
COnsidering that my first Mortgage was at 16% (refinanced three years later at 12% VA) I don't have much sympathy when people complain that ' today's rates have gotten too high '.
It isn't the interest rate that is the problem. It is the ratio of the home price to income that is the problem. Interest rates were way higher back then, but in home price to income ratio was lower so it was more affordable despite the higher rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate