Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shared septic system
YES 2 4.08%
NO 47 95.92%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 07:39 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
Only if my neighbor was on the hook for 100% of repairs with money in escrow to cover that.

Why on earth would the neighbor be the only one responsible? That's silly.

I guess in my experience I've seen a lot of shared systems and easements, from wells to roads to septics. Sometimes there's good reason like geography that made it make sense. With a maintenance agreement that spells out when maintenance should happen and how money is collected and paid, it might be a very good way to share risk and cost. Again, depends on the specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 10:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
My family owned a 20-acre farm with 2 homes within about 200 feet of each other. Each home had a different septic tank and leach field from the other. My experience showed that a single septic system is needed for each home and never shared. Getting building permits would confirm that.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:26 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My family owned a 20-acre farm with 2 homes within about 200 feet of each other. Each home had a different septic tank and leach field from the other. My experience showed that a single septic system is needed for each home and never shared. Getting building permits would confirm that.
Yeah must be a heck of a large septic system to handle the volume that may be needed for 2 homes and 2 families.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:34 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Here you go, Becky.
And, questions:
Is there adequate repair area for a new leach field?
Are there funds in place to provide with replacement or repairs of the system?
Where are the wells? Also shared, or separate? Proximity to the leach field and repair area?

https://ehs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/oswp/docs...es-08-2017.pdf

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
SECTION .1900 - SEWAGE TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL SYSTEMS

Page 25/74

(2) Septic tanks for large residences, multiple dwelling units, or places of business or public assembly
shall be in accordance with the following:
(A) The liquid capacity of septic tanks for places of business or places of public assembly with a
design sewage flow of 600 gallons per day or less shall be determined in accordance with the
following: V = 2Q; where V is the liquid capacity of the septic tank and Q is the design daily
sewage flow. However, the minimum capacity of any septic tanks shall be 750 gallons.
(B) Individual residences with more than five bedrooms, multiple-family residences, individual
septic tank systems serving two or more residences, or any place of business or public
assembly where the design sewage flow is greater than 600 gallons per day, but less than
1,500 gallons per day, the liquid capacity of the septic tank shall be designed in accordance
with the following: V = 1.17Q + 500; where V is the liquid capacity of the septic tank and Q
is the design daily sewage flow. The minimum liquid capacity of a septic tank serving two or
more residences shall be 1,500 gallons.
(C) Where the design sewage flow is between 1,500 gallons per day and 4,500 gallons per day,
the liquid capacity of the septic tank shall be designed in accordance with the following: V =
0.75Q + 1,125; where V is the liquid capacity of the septic tank and Q is the design daily
sewage flow.
(D) Where the design sewage flow exceeds 4,500 gallons per day, the septic tank shall be
designed in accordance with the following: V = Q; where V is the liquid capacity of the septic
tank and Q is the design daily sewage flow.
(E) The minimum liquid capacity requirements of Subparagraph (b)(2) of this Rule shall be met
by use of a single two-compartment septic tank or by two tanks installed in series, provided
the first tank is constructed without a baffle wall and contains at least two-thirds of the total
required liquid

Old 12-18-2023, 07:09 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why on earth would the neighbor be the only one responsible? That's silly.

I guess in my experience I've seen a lot of shared systems and easements, from wells to roads to septics. Sometimes there's good reason like geography that made it make sense. With a maintenance agreement that spells out when maintenance should happen and how money is collected and paid, it might be a very good way to share risk and cost. Again, depends on the specifics.
To me it depends on the neighbor sharing this septic system - and as we all know, neighbors can vary from helpful and reasonable to irresponsible and combative. No matter how well written the agreement or easement may be, if the septic system fails and the neighbor refuses to cooperate in a repair you have a big problem.

Plus neighbors may change. You might buy the property and have a cooperative neighbor, and then they might sell it to someone who will not honor the agreement.

I would run away from a property with a shared septic system or well as far and as fast as I could. I have seen plenty of disagreements regarding the maintenance of shared access roads too.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:47 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
To answer some questions:

1) Yes, a shared system is allowed. The septic system is on the neighbor's property. Unfortunately,
the shared property can not accommodate a system.
2) They are both on city water, so no well.
3) There would be an inspection of the existing system and permit from the county. There would have to be enough room for a repair area.
4) There would be a shared agreement that states the responsibilities of each party and it would be recorded at the courthouse.
5) Each home is a small 2 bedroom home. The neighbor is the only one living in the property next door. I realize this can change but she has been there many years and intends to stay forever. The other property would have 3 adults living there.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:23 AM

351 posts, read 161,946 times
So if septic field saturates you will want to dig a new system in your yard, not in your neighbors. How can you be sure that your neighbor is not flushing grease and paper towels into the system?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
So if septic field saturates you will want to dig a new system in your yard, not in your neighbors. How can you be sure that your neighbor is not flushing grease and paper towels into the system?
The other yard didn't pass for a system but that was the initial plan. It was too small and the soil wasn't acceptable. You are correct, there's no telling. The market is so costly and tough here. Unfortunately you have to make sacrifices at this point. The questions is it worth it?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If all else was extremely desirable I would consider it. First I would have an attorney review the documentation to make sure everything was accounted for, signed off, enforceable and fair for all. A friend is on a shared well with 4 other neighbors and there are no problems, they each pay a small amount monthly into a special interest-earning account to be used for any future costs such as new pump or pipe replacement.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:12 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If all else was extremely desirable I would consider it.

And this is where I can imagine this being done. Around here, space and conditions for septics can be limited for highly desirable beach front properties, but they may be able to go in on a communal system located on a neighboring property. OK as long as it's well thought out and designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate