Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shared septic system
YES 2 4.08%
NO 47 95.92%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:04 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times

Advertisements

As one who has had a septic system in two different houses over the last 30 years, I vote an emphatic no. We know what goes in the septic, how much, when it was cleaned out, etc. We have had no issues with either septic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 07:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,360,322 times
I will go out on a limb and would have to guess that the 2 people who voted "Yes" in this poll have either never had a septic tank or have only had one for a short time. I have lived in a home with septic for many years and never had a problem, but I have had many friends who have had issues that required fixes more than $1K and up.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:08 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I will go out on a limb and would have to guess that the 2 people who voted "Yes" in this poll have either never had a septic tank or have only had one for a short time. I have lived in a home with septic for many years and never had a problem, but I have had many friends who have had issues that required fixes more than $1K and up.
$1K and up isn't the end of the world. If I was looking at potentially someday having to spend a fraction of one percent of what I paid for the house to remediate a septic problem, well, I wouldn't automatically let that sour a deal.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:38 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
$1K and up isn't the end of the world. If I was looking at potentially someday having to spend a fraction of one percent of what I paid for the house to remediate a septic problem, well, I wouldn't automatically let that sour a deal.

Could be.

The poll is actually meaningless when considering the more detailed input the OP has received.

I am not wholly comfortable with the prospect, for sure, but exploring to determine if a proper and acceptable deal can be reached between the parties, and finding that it may be possible, why not?

Never say, "Never."

Old 12-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Keep in mind that my $1K number was a lowball guess, perhaps only to pump out the tank and no need to repair anything.

I sold my farm back in 2006 and haven't had septic once I moved into the city limits. Depending on the situation and the location, a new drain field or a replacement tank could cost several $$ instead. My city no longer allows septic to be installed or replaced with a new tank/leach field within city limits. It must be municipal sewage and water where available. Of course, YMMV.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Never say, "Never."
I will gladly say "Never" when it comes to sharing a single septic tank. Environmentally speaking, septic tanks/fields can be very destructive.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I will gladly say "Never" when it comes to sharing a single septic tank. Environmentally speaking, septic tanks/fields can be very destructive.
Okey-Dokey.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:03 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
I didn’t vote yes or no… I’m a maybe, It depends :-)

And I’ve never had anything but septic tanks. I think that’s why I’m not particularly afraid of them.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I didn’t vote yes or no… I’m a maybe, It depends :-)

And I’ve never had anything but septic tanks. I think that’s why I’m not particularly afraid of them.
Yeah, my vote is "Never say, 'Never.'" I am not wild about septic tanks, having seen too many failures. But, people let them go bad or make them go bad. I do tell people that I like College Boys to bring me my water and take it away when I am done with it.
But, in the right circumstances, I would not quail at the concept of on-site septic tanks.

People too readily unleash "Never" without analysis.
A couple of examples:
"I would NEVER buy a house with polybutylene water lines."
"I would NEVER buy a house with aluminum branch circuit wiring."
The fixes in many markets are a drop in the bucket, a very small percentage of the purchase price, and in a dearth of inventory, I WOULD consider either. Heck, we are in a polybutylene-plumbed house for 22 years without issue.
I expect it would sell for ~$600,000+/- and a full, turn-key replumb would be in the max $15,000-$18,000 range.
Hardly a reason not to own it, as it is very suitable otherwise in features, and location, location, location.
Eagerness to say, "Never," would have put us back in a 2002 market with very little suitable inventory. We had given up at the time.

The OP's family member needs to weigh what is, and what is achievable, in a torrid local market.
If acceptable parameters of a deal can be reached, "Why not?"

Old 12-21-2023, 10:13 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
I never really thought about it, but we've used shared septic systems in pretty much every campground we've ever stayed at. I can only imagine what the campground owners must deal with over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate