Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 07:33 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times

Advertisements

They do, and while they're powered by Google maps, they are very limited. There's no street view, no satellite or terrain views, and no directions available.

Agree to disagree - I just chose ONE at random - and it had satellite and directions. I think terrain view is a bit of a big Ask in terms of local altitude - but otherwise - very little more information I could hope for in a real estate ad...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 08:08 AM

1,409 posts, read 749,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
They do, and while they're powered by Google maps, they are very limited. There's no street view, no satellite or terrain views, and no directions available.

Agree to disagree - I just chose ONE at random - and it had satellite and directions. I think terrain view is a bit of a big Ask in terms of local altitude - but otherwise - very little more information I could hope for in a real estate ad...?
We don't need to disagree, I would be happy to be shown differently. Here's one that we're looking at.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...94623291_zpid/

When I scroll down just a bit, I see a map and ...

I just for the first time clicked the double arrow icon in the upper right corner of that map and see it opens a view that adds satellite and directions. Very nice, I can't believe I missed that before. Still no street view, but given how remote a lot of the places we're looking at are, there isn't usually any street view available. Clicking the Google logo in the bottom left takes me to full featured maps, but loses the address in the transition. A minor issue, though. Thanks for causing me to go look deeper.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:21 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I miss having access to crime data for locations and how far to nearest amenities. Realtor use to have that info but removed it making finding the right place harder. I know data has to be verified but this is unlicensed info and was programmed once but undone.

I’m suspecting either agw or wokeness biut could be wrong. Lol
Because crime data in its current form is basically useless if you consider its compiled by zip code, which on average cover around 100 square miles. Crime isn't widespread and almost always is largely restricted to a few hotspots. The likelihood of winding up in one of those areas is slim and if at all perceptive, visually obvious.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:47 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post

Still no street view, but given how remote a lot of the places we're looking at are, there isn't usually any street view available. Clicking the Google logo in the bottom left takes me to full featured maps, but loses the address in the transition. A minor issue, though.
Don't forget that Zillow doesn't create any maps or street views, Google Maps does instead. Google doesn't do a street view for every address in the US and you cannot expect Zillow or any other company to provide it automatically, every time. Zillow and other sites like this are tools. Until you have to "pay to play" you can only use what is available for free at an address.

I am not trying to be difficult, just playing devil's advocate in this discussion.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:50 AM

1,409 posts, read 749,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that Zillow doesn't create any maps or street views, Google Maps does instead. Google doesn't do a street view for every address in the US and you cannot expect Zillow or any other company to provide it automatically, every time. Zillow and other sites like this are tools. Until you have to "pay to play" you can only use what is available for free at an address.
Well duh. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:54 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
You're welcome. Funny you mention that, I remember a TV commercial that had a recurring character in multiple versions called "Captain Obvious" and was for Hotels.com. Very funny series of commercials.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:58 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
On land or home properties on MLS can small stream or creek be used as a selection? Where only properties with a stream or creek pop up?

It would pop up if the listing agent mentions it in the description (and you search for that), or if they list water/creek in the territorial features.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:03 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Did you know there is a Share button right next to the Favorite (heart)? Couple of steps because it goes through email but it works.

I wish I could more easily see my favorited properties.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,305,461 times
In Zillow, wish I could make text comments on saved properties. Comments for myself that can only be seen by me.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
My realtor used an app called Homesnap, that allowed me to flag which ones I was interested in, and comment on them or others with my thoughts.

As for things like elevations, car traffic, and crime....even if an app tried to add those filters, it would be subjective. What you call heavy traffic might be normal to me. They couldn't simply flag 'highways' because some highways are low traffic and some side streets are heavy traffic.

Crime maps can convey the wrong meaning. A nucleus will show up on a crime map at any bus stop, big box retailer, city park, etc. Simply because that's where people are when they realize their wallet or phone are missing (and oftentimes, they just dropped it, they weren't pickpocketed). So using a crime map to screen out addresses would likely rule out perfectly safe properties. And what you call 'high crime' and what I call 'high crime' are different things.

In short, there's no app that can take the place of your own knowledge of the area, and no app that can read the mind of every single person and apply personal preferences and definitions.

But last time I checked, zillow allowed you to draw your own search map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate