Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 12:26 PM

1,416 posts, read 752,344 times

Advertisements

Oh, another thing I have to do myself with every new address I'm interested in is check the T-Mobile coverage map to see if our 5G internet gizmo will work there. That would be a handy button on a listing page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 12:29 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Um...am I missing something? ALL zillow listings I look at have a MAP link right in them...?

Old 02-02-2024, 12:56 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
My wife and I are house hunting, have been for months. We're searching over a fairly large area in Virginia with a pretty specific set of wants and needs. We've mostly used Zillow for this, but I'm annoyed with the number of additional steps I need to take to get details I want and collaborate with my wife and realtor.

When I find a property on Zillow that I like, I click the Heart icon so my wife can check it out at her convenience on her computer. That's nice, but she has to be logged in as me to do that. I don't mind that for my wife, but I don't want to give everyone access to my Zillow account. It would be so much better if there was some collaboration feature that let me share my "Favorites" with other people, like our realtor or friends/family who are keeping an eye on our search.

On a related thought, I would be nice if I could make notes about a listing that would be visible by other people I'm sharing with.

When I see a listing that looks interesting, before I click thru to the pictures, I map it. I do this because we don't want a place within earshot of a busy road. It would be terrific if Zillow (or someone) would partner with Google and add a button to the listing that saves me having to copy the address then switch to a different browser tab then paste in the address.

I love that I can filter my listings to only show homes with a certain minimum number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and acreage, but I have another filter I would like added. We are only interested in houses above about 2000 feet elevation. Again, before I even bother looking at pictures I have to copy the address and paste it into a webpage that tells me the elevation. Seems like this would be easy enough to integrate.

So, those things, collaboration, maps, and elevation, would make a Zillow-type site much better for us. Anyone have suggestions or "wants" of their own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Since it would cost money to implement a change like that, would you be willing to pay an access fee to Zillow? ...
Quote:
In a heartbeat.
How large a fee would you pay "in a heartbeat?" $100 month? $200/month?
You are asking for niche stuff that would require significant investment from massively unprofitable companies, companies which are burning mountains cash quarter after quarter, year after year.

Would you guarantee they could attain regular profitability by providing this data on a paid basis?
Or could you at least guarantee they could charge enough for the data to break even on the cost of providing it?

Old 02-02-2024, 01:21 PM

14,482 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Oh, another thing I have to do myself with every new address I'm interested in is check the T-Mobile coverage map to see if our 5G internet gizmo will work there. That would be a handy button on a listing page.
Elevation would be easier to add. At least it doesn't change (often)

Including data that changes frequently like cell phone coverage, is a good way to make it incorrect, quickly.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:41 PM

578 posts, read 303,251 times
I miss having access to crime data for locations and how far to nearest amenities. Realtor use to have that info but removed it making finding the right place harder. I know data has to be verified but this is unlicensed info and was programmed once but undone.

I’m suspecting either agw or wokeness biut could be wrong. Lol

Old 02-02-2024, 02:28 PM

1,416 posts, read 752,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Um...am I missing something? ALL zillow listings I look at have a MAP link right in them...?
They do, and while they're powered by Google maps, they are very limited. There's no street view, no satellite or terrain views, and no directions available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How large a fee would you pay "in a heartbeat?" $100 month? $200/month?
No. Drop a zero and I'd be in, though.

Quote:
You are asking for niche stuff that would require significant investment from massively unprofitable companies, companies which are burning mountains cash quarter after quarter, year after year.

Would you guarantee they could attain regular profitability by providing this data on a paid basis?
Or could you at least guarantee they could charge enough for the data to break even on the cost of providing it?
Well, I'm not asking for anything. This thread was just a wish list to start a conversation and solicit ideas.

I don't think some of the ideas I have would cost all that much to implement. As noted above, Zillow already partners with Google for maps. They may have their own business reasons for neutering the functionality, I'd like to see it there.

Would it be expensive to partner with a site like this one and include elevation?

Would it be expensive to add the ability to generate a hyperlink to my Zillow "favorites" that I could share?

Every cell phone company has a facility you can use to check their coverage for any address. I would bet they all have APIs that other websites can use to retrieve that data. How hard would it be to add buttons for ATT, Verizon, and T-Mobile to the listings?

Again, companies have reasons for not including features as often as they have reasons to include features. I'm not privy to that stuff, so all I can do is talk about it in appropriate places.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:14 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
It definitely matters in central and western Virginia. We spent last summer camped in the mountains and the difference when we would drive down into Roanoke or other areas below 1000 feet was dramatic.

We sold our Florida home last summer. We loved Florida for decades, but we're ready for change.
I used to have work out on Chincoteague and Assateague islands, sometimes in the summer. Despite being on the coast, that area is pretty darned hot in the summertime - and humid!

Yup, I hear you. We're preparing to bail from Florida as well, for a lot of reasons.

RM

Old 02-02-2024, 09:30 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Not for those of us in Florida.
That's because the highest point in Florida is 345'.
If you had real hills, they would be cooler.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:43 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Have you talked about this with your realtor? We have at our fingertips a very good MLS interface with all the same search features zillow has, and a map with satellite (and flood plain) and the ability to share feedback and notes back and forth with our clients. See if your local MLS has similar features.

We don't have elevation though, that's not stored in the MLS data
On land or home properties on MLS can small stream or creek be used as a selection? Where only properties with a stream or creek pop up?

Old 02-03-2024, 06:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
They do, and while they're powered by Google maps, they are very limited. There's no street view, no satellite or terrain views, and no directions available.

No. Drop a zero and I'd be in, though.

Well, I'm not asking for anything. This thread was just a wish list to start a conversation and solicit ideas.

I don't think some of the ideas I have would cost all that much to implement. As noted above, Zillow already partners with Google for maps. They may have their own business reasons for neutering the functionality, I'd like to see it there.

Would it be expensive to partner with a site like this one and include elevation?

Would it be expensive to add the ability to generate a hyperlink to my Zillow "favorites" that I could share?

Every cell phone company has a facility you can use to check their coverage for any address. I would bet they all have APIs that other websites can use to retrieve that data. How hard would it be to add buttons for ATT, Verizon, and T-Mobile to the listings?

Again, companies have reasons for not including features as often as they have reasons to include features. I'm not privy to that stuff, so all I can do is talk about it in appropriate places.
All of what youre asking for will cost zillow money in one way or another (even if its only internal programming costs). A lot of what you're asking for is VERY low demand; therefore, low return on their investment. Think of it like a retail store; is someone who needs special orthotic shoes popping into Shoe Carnival to shop?

A few of your requests are on other platforms. Movato allows you to save a listing with your own notes added to it. IIRC they also have a share button. As far as being able to see your favorites without logging into your account - sorry, I don't see tge big deal with that or it's usefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate