Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 10:36 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Yeah, no - I don't need a play by play here.

How is the deed meaningless? Isn't it a legal doc showing transfer of ownership? If the town has the deed for 10 Church St., showing Jane Cook owns it, how is it possible that someone else can record a deed for that same property with the same town clerk's office? Is it b/c the town clerk does not check?
The deed doesn't have pictures of the owner on it. The scammer pretends to be the owner and sells the property, transferring the deed to the new buyer. You can do an entire sale without having an attorney or title company involved. The only thing to get around if you have a cash buyer is the notarization of the deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 02:30 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Happens at all price points.

"A Long Island doctor claims a nearly $1.5 million house is being built on the vacant Connecticut lot that’s been in his family for 70 years without his knowledge because of a stunning fraud scheme, according to a federal lawsuit.

Dr. Daniel Kenigsberg’s jaw dropped when he swung by what used to be his empty lot in Fairfield, Connecticut — only to find a partially constructed three-story house on the property.

The pricey home, which boasts four bedrooms and four full bathrooms, has transformed a parcel previously covered in trees into a now-stalled construction project.

“I was living my life normally until May 31st,” Kenigsberg told the Washington Post, “and all of a sudden, this happened.”

The property was fraudulently transferred to Sky Top Partners LLC for $350,000 in October 2022, according to the federal lawsuit obtained by The Post."

https://nypost.com/2023/08/02/connec...ledge-lawsuit/

Scam that led to surprise $1.5M house in CT might have been multi-state scheme, officials say

"As legal wrangling intensifies over a house in Fairfield built on land the developer bought as the victim of a scam, the FBI appears to have evidence the fraudulent sale was part of a multi-state swindle, perhaps by the same people."

https://www.ctinsider.com/columnist/...i-18574404.php

Old 03-21-2024, 10:41 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
It happens because Buyers do not perform sufficient due diligence to ensure it is not a scam/scammer. Many land only transactions wind up being without title searches/title insurance which can help prevent that. There are many seller to buyer direct transactions that have no middleman/third party safeguards against this.
Who would do that? A title search is so basic.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:45 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Do you understand what a deed is and how recorded deeds work? The deed showing Jane Cook as the owner will be replaced with a deed showing Frank N. Beans as owner if Jane Cook sells/transfers the ownership to Frank. Plain and simple.
Right, but we're talking about a situation in which Jane Cook has not transferred ownership to the seller. So how is a deed meaningless?

Old 03-22-2024, 04:14 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Who would do that? A title search is so basic.
A title search will not detect whether a recorded document is forged. That's the problem.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Right, but we're talking about a situation in which Jane Cook has not transferred ownership to the seller. So how is a deed meaningless?
A Deed isn't meaningless--it's essential. I have no idea why Rabrrita chose to call the Deed in these cases "meaningless." Probably just a poor choice of words. (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.)

Old 03-22-2024, 06:24 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
All transfer of ownership involves a Deed.

Generally, recording offices do not check the veracity of a Deed. They simply don't have the resources to do so. If presented with a notarized Deed in the proper form, they generally go ahead and record it.
100% accurate. If one steals or fabricates one of those notary stamps you can do a lot of damage.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:31 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
A Deed isn't meaningless--it's essential. I have no idea why Rabrrita chose to call the Deed in these cases "meaningless." Probably just a poor choice of words. (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.)
I meant meaningless as in it's not like a car title that requires the owner to provide that physical/original State issued instrument to the buyer. In most places, Real Estate Deeds are just a new written legal instrument each time that essentially is filed to replace the existing one. As mentioned by others, if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's accepted as a duck. I think there are many who think one gets an official paper deed from the government that they hide away under the mattress and like on TV or the movies, when selling it gets signed over at the kitchen table to be legal. But, i see how my use of "meaningless" wasn't explain fully.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I meant meaningless as in it's not like a car title that requires the owner to provide that physical/original State issued instrument to the buyer. In most places, Real Estate Deeds are just a new written legal instrument each time that essentially is filed to replace the existing one. As mentioned by others, if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's accepted as a duck. I think there are many who think one gets an official paper deed from the government that they hide away under the mattress and like on TV or the movies, when selling it gets signed over at the kitchen table to be legal. But, i see how my use of "meaningless" wasn't explain fully.
Well...okay. But car titles can be forged, too. Just like passports, driver's licenses and official-looking I.D. cards.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:19 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Well...okay. But car titles can be forged, too. Just like passports, driver's licenses and official-looking I.D. cards.
Ahh but according tot he FBI, the vast majority of title frauds falls into one of three groups:
1. The title is a pure fake (counterfeit) or the seller alters a real title in which case it should (probably wont) be accepted by the state so legal transfer of the vehicle ownership will not occur.
2. The seller uses duplicate titles to sell the vehicle to multiple people at the same time. Each state handles this differently with most initially accepting the original tile over a duplicate to establish new ownership.
3. The seller is conned into legally signing over the title in some scam or con. Again, each state handles this differently depending on the circumstances with most motor vehicle accepting the legal valid signature as a transfer.

If they get hold of the actual physical tile, sure signatures and identity can be faked but that title will be needed in hand. Without the legitimate physical title or E-Title access codes, there is no transfer of ownership. Real Estate just need new written papers, the old physical paper deed really are not required in this transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate