Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Just a quick note to check in.

Hammy...........I'll bet you are heaving a big sigh there!

I am so anxious to be leaving for NY to see my daughter on Monday!! WOOHOO!! And I'll also get to see hubby for a few hours. He is going up this weekend to help her move into her new house and isn't leaving until Tuesday. I think he's wanting to "cuddle" after DD goes to work Tuesday morning.... My flight doesn't get into 11pm Monday night, though, and that is only if my flight from Charlotte through Detroit to Syracuse is on time! Hopefully Delta is doing it right on Monday!

Talked to DH last night and our reator wants to do an open house after Easter. Originally we told them that we were really not interested in having lookie-loos just traipsing through the house, but they seem to think it will help. We'll have to see. Our area is one of low prices just because of the rural location, so I'm not seeing the possibility a lot of REAL buyers coming through.....just nosy neighbors and potential thieves and I don't feel like opening it up for that. He also said the $8000 is bringing out a lot of people in the area, but for the most part they are only interested in houses in the $50k - $60k range, which means 100 year old falling down row houses downtown on postage size lots and not remodelled split levels which is 3 times the size on 1.2 acres, which is still priced less than $175k. He says that it appears they are people wanting to use the credit as the downpayment they don't have.

Everybody have a great weekend and Easter holiday!!

WE sold three homes thru an open house. Try it. Roth how much have you come down in price so far?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
Alright now, the camp is active to night, gotta love it! Only here for afew, the storms are coming in for round 3. About two miles from me was hit by a tornado at 5 this morning, 6 house got pretty damaged and lots of trees, fences ect. Luckily no one was hurt, and it hit not far from the store my dd works at. It woke me up that is for sure!

I had bisquits on the menu for tonight too but changed it to chicken and dressing at the last minute. Found an easy fast way to make it, total time about an hour...so good and reheats great for left overs, yummmmy!

Take care out there and LOTS OF DUST ON THE SHOWING TOMORROW!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM

311 posts, read 915,721 times
Default Thats what I get....

Thats what I get for not posting a couple of weeks. You all pull up the stakes and move the camp! But I found yaaaaaa Glad to be back "home" again!

I had the spring flu/cold crap that everyone seemed to have a couple of weeks ago and in the midst of that had my 2nd closing. Third is coming up next week and lots of NEW buyers to work with, including one guy who moved here from CA last year. He came to an open house of my lake listing last summer. I have been sending him regular house updates on things that might appeal to him and he finally wrote me today to say hes ready to start looking

How are all of you doing? TEX, you recovered yet? Painter? Any news on your real estate? Lacey? Hows the DH and the wee one? Well, I have a shipment of fabric to get ready, so I better leave the computer desk for my fabric desk, you all have a good night around the camp fire, I will try to check in again tomorrow after the house touring is done!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Hey there Jody, Glad you found us. A third closing - WOW- that is great! That crud has a tendency to stick around for awhile, be careful with it. As to my place, nope and I dropped the price another 25K and still nothing. We did sell the little house and close on it April 12th, no profit, not a penny but it is gone so...

How far would you all drive for an open house? i doubt if anyone would show up here, did one last yr with my original agent. That was a waste of time, no one showed for it but I found out she didnt bother to advertise it just notated it in the mls.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM

311 posts, read 915,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post

How far would you all drive for an open house? i doubt if anyone would show up here, did one last yr with my original agent. That was a waste of time, no one showed for it but I found out she didnt bother to advertise it just notated it in the mls.
Painter, your agent HAS to get the word out about the Open House. I put my Open House signs up at least 4 days prior and use plenty, and its put in the local Sunday paper. I also post it on all the websites where my listings are featured...Trulia, Zillow, C21.com, my local companys website, Craigslist, etc. I also do nice glossy paper brochures to hand deliver to anyone in the local area who might know someone who may be interested. At the Open House, I hand out a brochure that includes a DVD with the house pictured on the DVD label that has the virtual tour of the home. Depending on how many I have had, I may also send some of those DVDs out to the top 100 agents in my area, along with an invitation for them to send their clients to see it.

You never know with Open Houses, I have had good ones (picked up 2 new buyer clients recently from them) and I have had terrible ones (no one to show up at all). Lots of agents dont like to or wont do them, but I say if I do 25 of them a year, thats about 100 hrs of my time spent, plus the cost of advertising and materials...figure I got about $2,000 wrapped up in costs/time. If I get 3-4 new clients from them that each buy a house from me, I not only recoup my costs, I make some money and I expand my referral network, which is where my long term business comes from.

I wish I had a better answer for your house, but I wouldnt bother having one unless your agent agrees to promote it properly. Listing it on the local MLS open house list isnt enough, in my opinion!

Jody

Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Rothbear have a wonderful trip, lots of cuddling with hubby now must be hard to be away for such long stretches at time.

You know it probably wouldn't hurt to have an open house when the weather gets nicer..you never know..might get just the right person coming through..If you are worried just lock up all your valuables or take them with you if possible. If your agent is decent, you should not have a problem..Maybe she could have a helper with her that day to keep an eye on things...just a thought.
Yeah, the whole "separated" thing is starting to wear pretty thin. Among other things, there are just times when I need HIM to deal with things around here instead of me trying to do it while trying to figure out what HE wants me to do!

Our new realtors are actually a husband and wife team, so I guess I could make the stipulation that both had to be there. That way one could show and one could keep watch. All of my jewelry is already down here and DH will just have to take all the bank/credit card stuff that's in the desk with him. I do trust these agents to be observant. Would just have to make sure that any breakables are put away because a good amount of people in that area have really bratty kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyrose View Post
Painter, your agent HAS to get the word out about the Open House. I put my Open House signs up at least 4 days prior and use plenty, and its put in the local Sunday paper. I also post it on all the websites where my listings are featured...Trulia, Zillow, C21.com, my local companys website, Craigslist, etc. I also do nice glossy paper brochures to hand deliver to anyone in the local area who might know someone who may be interested. At the Open House, I hand out a brochure that includes a DVD with the house pictured on the DVD label that has the virtual tour of the home. Depending on how many I have had, I may also send some of those DVDs out to the top 100 agents in my area, along with an invitation for them to send their clients to see it.

You never know with Open Houses, I have had good ones (picked up 2 new buyer clients recently from them) and I have had terrible ones (no one to show up at all). Lots of agents dont like to or wont do them, but I say if I do 25 of them a year, thats about 100 hrs of my time spent, plus the cost of advertising and materials...figure I got about $2,000 wrapped up in costs/time. If I get 3-4 new clients from them that each buy a house from me, I not only recoup my costs, I make some money and I expand my referral network, which is where my long term business comes from.

I wish I had a better answer for your house, but I wouldnt bother having one unless your agent agrees to promote it properly. Listing it on the local MLS open house list isnt enough, in my opinion! Jody
Wow Jody, you really go all out! I do know that they told DH that they would do extra advertising for it over and above what they already have. Don't know what that would be, though. The regular listing is on a ton of websites and they would advertise it there as well. Pretty sure they wouldn't do as much as you do, but would have fliers to hand out.

I have come to the conclusion that we really need "Designed To Sell" to come to the house and help us get it sold!!! Although lately it's been about 50-50 with those who have sold and those who are still waiting when I watch it.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,719 times
Roth..have you thought about contacting Designed to Sell, or there are a couple other ones..wouldn't hurt. I think with the husband wife team your home would be ok, put the breakables up, or pack them away anyhow..you just never know who could walk through your door and love your home.

Hubby not doing so hot again tonight..its starting to wear on me a little too, I don't know how to help him..we have not heard from our new loan guy and he was hoping he would have something for us today...our agent in socal is confident she will get us a loan..she has known my folks for many years, sold them their house last year, and my dad says she isn't going to lose a sale, lol. No sale yet, need that approval first..we were hoping to have an approval before we head south for the Wedding...but..I know that's what is bothering hubby. I hope tomorrow he feels better, last weekend was so crummy I don't want to do that again..

Going to bed..hugs all around..Jody glad you are feeling better girl..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Here to say morning and then I am off for the morning, we are getting nailed with storms again. Had 10" of rain over night, gonna change the MLS to read 3000 sq ft house boat! We have flooding everywhere now, my pool crested last night, I drained the dang thing down before dark to! Tornado watch till noon and the local station just went off the air during the announcements, dont know what happened but so much fro spreading the word here, lol. Talk later

Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM

40 posts, read 40,775 times
Default Fairmarketvalue-his wife posting here

Hi all,

I have read many of these posts on the "camp" threads and decided it was worth finally getting registered under my own name. My husband is Fairmarketvalue and while I posted a few things long ago, under his name, that was on the Chicago suburb thread and I got frustrated with the attitudes and moved on. My husband and I still converse often about the RE thread and I read everything he posts. I just want to say thanks to those of you who carry such a positive attitude, and thanks for the support through the personal messages he recieves. He's a great guy, really, and we feel lucky to have him. It's so unbelievable how wrong some of these people have perceived him. And it's mostly because he's giving positive opinions about the RE market and lots (more than they deserve to know) of information about where we live.

Anyway, crazyma- you are so inspirational and thank you for providing such a positive outlook on things and life in general. We BOTH appreciate it! And congrats to Lacy on your marriage.

Campers, hope this is OK:

To FMV (my DH)- you go get em, babe. And thanks for providing such a wonderful "UTOPIA/ENCLAVE" for me and the kids. Hopefully these "unhappy folk" who cloud the RE forum, won't be able to resist reading the title of this post and feel the jab I'm attempting to send, about the "UTOPIA"! But we don't need any bullies at camp, so if they come back at me, I'll not respond. I'm gald to be here and thanks for letting me join in. You girls have a good day. It's only going to be 38 for a high, here in Chicagoland.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

Quote:
Tonight's the rehearsal dinner, tomorrow the big day-I am watching the balance drop in my checkbook. Groom's calm, bride's a wreck.
Good luck Lacey......it will all be worth it and have fun!

[quote=Rakin;8064270]
Quote:
Good news on our end. Spring is here, the grass is greening, buyers are hitting the market and houses are selling. Prices in TX are up 2-4% in most major cities.
I just locked in a 4 3/8 interest rate on a 15 year note on a new home we are about to close. Unbelievable

Rakin that is good news.....I think prices are beginning to go up in alot of places. We bought in Utah in January when there were so many short sales and prices were lower so good time to buy, now the home prices have gone up which is great for those selling.

Also......great interest rate you got!

[quote=hammy5;8066164]

Quote:
You don't want to come here now!! It is was to cold right now. Brrrrrr

I hear ya on that hammy. Went from 80's a few days ago to snowing now. Only the second time I have seen snow here in Oklahoma since I lived here....it just not the nice powdery type like I am used.

Quote:
I have my closing in a couple of hours and I am so excited. I just cannot believe it is finally here. So glad to be rid of borh mortgages!
Good luck on your closing.....that is awesome!

[quote=Judy P.;8071393]
Quote:
Crazy Camp #1 opened up on 08-05-2008! I am proud to say I was the first recruit!!!
]
Wow Judy that's a long time to be a camper here!

[quote=crazyma;8073103]
Quote:
Okay where is Dogmom, Tambre, Golddust, chickrae, HDL, lorriem, niki, roth, sykes???
I am here......just been so crazy at work(tax season) couldn't read all the posts on camp 3 and catch up. Now that there is camp 4, I can read back 4 pages...ha ha. Was hanging out alot on the Bachelor and American Idol threads and Utah. Went through a lot of changes the past couple months as my husband was forced to retire, which was a shock to us! Dealing with all the emotional things and depression with us both. Found this out the week after we closed on the home in Utah (Feb) , so funny it would happen then. Will be moving to Utah sooner now. Some good comes out of the bad!

[quote=the painter;8075017]
Quote:
Alright now, the camp is active to night, gotta love it! Only here for afew, the storms are coming in for round 3. About two miles from me was hit by a tornado at 5 this morning, 6 house got pretty damaged and lots of trees, fences ect. Luckily no one was hurt, and it hit not far from the store my dd works at. It woke me up that is for sure!
Thank goodness you are safe. Those tornados are so scary. I have never been in one but the tornado watches we have been having and the sirens going off scare the heck out of me. Our property was flooded yesterday and today........sick of it! Have to wade across water to get to the other side of the creek to get to work.

Oh and welcome to camp Househappy......and I always enjoy the posts from your DH Fairmarketvalue.........very informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate