Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I was in a similar situation when I moved across the country. Buyer was interested in the fridge, but wanted it for less than Craigslist prices (he knew I had already moved and was going to have to come back for the furniture I left behind to stage the place). No way was I going to sell a nearly new fridge for $150. I got a fair deal from my grandma who lived nearby to replace the POS abandoned fridge that was in her place when she moved in.

Sometimes buyers think they have the advantage when they fail to see the big picture.
If you are in a seller market, I agree. But I expect to have a full funtioning kitchen including fridge, when I buy unless it is a bank own property where the price reflect that. I guess what I am saying is the buyer should ask as part of the bigger transaction and if it doesn't include then price should reflect those..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
I have never moved a fridge. If the next house didn't have one that met my needs, I bought a new one. The washer and dryer were another story.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
We've had some great ones.

Lets see.

Someone mentioned pool tables. Two different times my parents moved, the buyer asked for the pool table, which they agreed to both times (obviously 2 different pool tables, not in consecutive houses).

We had a good friend get an offer subject to the seller leaving all her decorations and furniture. It was a very good offer, better than full price, but she was too attached to her stuff to part with it. She had it decorated like a showroom and it was a LOT of stuff.

My favorite though: My mom makes wreaths. Big, beautiful wreaths. When they moved out of one house, the buyer asked for the decorative wreath in the entryway to be left, since it matched all the colors of the house and fit the space so well. It was about 8-9 ft wide, in a big arch, not a small wreath. It would have cost upwards of $500 to have it made, at least. My parents agreed. What were they going to do with it, anyway? Didn't match the new house at all, and nowhere to put it.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:43 PM

69 posts, read 294,607 times
Well, I am actually buying a house and the sellers requested that they KEEP a bathroom DOOR, and replace it with a new 'standard interior door'

They said the door has an image of their dog that died ............................................ I dont know how it got on the door!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mparikh05 View Post
Well, I am actually buying a house and the sellers requested that they KEEP a bathroom DOOR, and replace it with a new 'standard interior door'

They said the door has an image of their dog that died ............................................ I dont know how it got on the door!
...that is very strange. Did you see the image of their dog when you looked at it? If it is on the inside.. it would be like the dog is staring at you whenever you are on the toilet.. creepy

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,410 times
I was working for a young couple a few years ago who were first time homebuyers. We had such a hard time narrowing our search and looked for almost 3 months. I showed them older homes, new construction, renovated homes, in several different areas of Austin. We came across a a resale home in a area I thought they would like. The house was about 3 years old and very well taken care of. She got really excited about it and said they would go home and think about it. The next afternoon I met them at the house and walked through it and they had that "look" on their faces like this was it!

We went into the kitchen which was nice and tidy and she opened the dishwasher and closed it and the knob fell off. SHE FLIPPED OUT! She yelled at her husband and me that the house was booby trapped. I explained they are made to come off for cleaning, it's ok, calm down. She said they were not sure anymore. I had told them this is a great house at a good price, they said no we will think about this. He called a couple of days later and said his wife had re-considered and wanted to make an offer. Well it already had two offers on it. They ended up renewing their lease and I never heard from them again.

That is the way it goes....snooze you loose!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,410 times
Talking house with fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
If you are in a seller market, I agree. But I expect to have a full funtioning kitchen including fridge, when I buy unless it is a bank own property where the price reflect that. I guess what I am saying is the buyer should ask as part of the bigger transaction and if it doesn't include then price should reflect those..

I have never sold a house with the fridge. Here is Texas most houses that are leased do not have the fridge.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 60,306 times
Our buyers saw some dirt smudges on the drywalled ceiling in the garage. Even though their inspector tested it for moisture and there was none and even though the bedrooms were above that area, they were worried that it was a plumbing leak causing mold. We had to cut a hole in the drywall to convince them that it was really just condensation from the HVAC vents that ran above and dust sticking to the condensation. Not even the paper of the drywall was penetrated.

We ended up having to repair and repaint the drywall in the garage though, which while not expensive, was a huge PITA.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,206 times
Years ago my parents sold a lake house. The buyers held up the close on the house because the wife wanted the bird feeder on the deck. It was a gift from a family friend that had sense died and my mother didn't want to part with it. The buyers basically said, "no bird house...no sale". My mother left the closing in tears but signed because they really needed to. I have often wondered how that women slept at night knowing she had bullied an old women out of a dang birdfeeder! It wasn't even a great one. She could have bought the thing for $30.00 or so.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
From the other side of the coin, the first house we put an offer on (I've mentioned it in the past, didn't go through because of non-disclosed polybutylene piping) had beautiful furniture in it. I bring this up because the listing explicitly mentioned that the furniture was negotiable.

So, we saw the house, put in the offer, countered back and forth, and it was finally accepted, with furniture - yay, right? Except when I showed up to the house the following week, the original furniture was completely gone, and replaced with stuff that I might have considered if I was trying to furnish a fraternity house - even going so far as to remove a bed, then put up an air mattress on top of some old boxes, covering it with a blanket, and using another box with a cloth over it for a night table. Keep in mind, prior to the offer, I surreptitiously was examining the furniture, since it's value would have to be weighed when making the offer. This should have been a clue to me at the time, lol.

The house was taken off the market again... I wonder if the seller put the original furniture back in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate