Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

MFP, you are a tough one to figure out. One moment you are playing the "I am a tough entreprenuer" willing to fire someone at the drop of a hat and the next moment you state you are a caring person who has concern for others well being and hate to see anyone go through tough times. Your statements are more than a bit contradictory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

130 posts, read 743,519 times
I am not pre approved for anything. I am just going to view the houses and telling her what my fiance and I want. HE didn't sign anything so he is not obligated to her at all. I am but I am not qualified to buy (no income) HE is. But he didn't sign anything with her.

The issue is that I find houses on MLS and tell her about them and we are not concerned about certain areas and she says "Oh that is a bad area. You have kids. I don't want to see you there." IMO it is not about HER it is about US. So weather it is bad or not we still want to see the damn house. Another issue is we are looking for a price range around 200k w/ 3 bedrooms. Well she is showing us HIGH like 224k that only has 2 bedrooms, no closets, etc. Or cheap prices that need LOTS of work or 203k loans and we don't want to go through that. She just pushing stuff we don't want and I am getting annoyed.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I am not pre approved for anything. I am just going to view the houses and telling her what my fiance and I want. HE didn't sign anything so he is not obligated to her at all. I am but I am not qualified to buy (no income) HE is. But he didn't sign anything with her.

The issue is that I find houses on MLS and tell her about them and we are not concerned about certain areas and she says "Oh that is a bad area. You have kids. I don't want to see you there." IMO it is not about HER it is about US. So weather it is bad or not we still want to see the damn house. Another issue is we are looking for a price range around 200k w/ 3 bedrooms. Well she is showing us HIGH like 224k that only has 2 bedrooms, no closets, etc. Or cheap prices that need LOTS of work or 203k loans and we don't want to go through that. She just pushing stuff we don't want and I am getting annoyed.
Thanks for explaining. What happens when you tell your realtor you don't want to see a $224K house becuase it is out of your price range? I am assuming you have discussed this issue with her. If you haven't you should. If you have and she ignores you, then it is time to part ways.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
No, I do not have a boss. I am an entrepreneur. I work for myself. And if I don't like the way someone I hire does their job, I fire them. I don't waste time trying to figure it out. Time is money. I'm not in the business of training subcontractors. And neither should the OP.
I have to so agree with you. I too am tired of hiring people (sub contractors that are self employed) and then have to show them how to do their job. Look at the appraiser I hired, Gezzz, they couldn't throw a darn tape measure on my house to check the sq. footage. Is that asking too much?

I would love all the money back that I spent on hiring subs that didn't do their job. I could retire on that money.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:

The issue is that I find houses on MLS and tell her about them and we are not concerned about certain areas and she says "Oh that is a bad area. You have kids. I don't want to see you there."
This is steering and violates the fair housing act. If she really said that, run away...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM

130 posts, read 743,519 times
HAHA thanks soo much because she told me that today. She said "That is a bad area and just because your used to that doesn't mean you should raise your kids like that." I felt kind of offended and just said "mmmm" but I think I am done with her. I have told her what price range I am willing to be at and she fails to listen.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
HAHA thanks soo much because she told me that today. She said "That is a bad area and just because your used to that doesn't mean you should raise your kids like that." I felt kind of offended and just said "mmmm" but I think I am done with her. I have told her what price range I am willing to be at and she fails to listen.
Yup. This does not sound appropriate. Sounds like you would be wise to part ways and find somebody who will do a better job working for you.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
When hire someone I expect them to perform as I have instructed them to, regardless of their opinion. If they don't adjust it after I have communicated displeasure (because sometimes it does change the level of performance) then I find someone better. I can't comment on your specific situation but....have you bluntly expressed displeasure?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default While I sorta agree, I would hesitate to judge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is steering and violates the fair housing act. If she really said that, run away...

There is steering (which is illegal and directs people of protected Federal classifaction towards / away from areas...) and then there is OPINION which is NOT illegal, and if fact it unavoidable.

That said, even ditsy opinions CAN be a really bad idea to express: Illegal Steering: Law & Ethics: REALTOR® Magazine (http://www.realtor.org/rmolaw_and_ethics/articles/2009/0904_law_illegalsteering - broken link)

Frankly if a client asked to see even a GORGEOUS home in a area that I knew to be undesirable I would be derelict in my fiduciary responsibility to not demonstrate that the price history of that area would not compare favorably with the price history of desirable areas. That is not steering, that is a real job function.

If the OP wants a rough area that is their right, but the agent is under no obligation to put themselves at risk to show homes in such an area!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is steering (which is illegal and directs people of protected Federal classifaction towards / away from areas...) and then there is OPINION which is NOT illegal, and if fact it unavoidable.

That said, even ditsy opinions CAN be a really bad idea to express: Illegal Steering: Law & Ethics: REALTOR® Magazine (http://www.realtor.org/rmolaw_and_ethics/articles/2009/0904_law_illegalsteering - broken link)

Frankly if a client asked to see even a GORGEOUS home in a area that I knew to be undesirable I would be derelict in my fiduciary responsibility to not demonstrate that the price history of that area would not compare favorably with the price history of desirable areas. That is not steering, that is a real job function.

If the OP wants a rough area that is their right, but the agent is under no obligation to put themselves at risk to show homes in such an area!
I express opinions all the time. Heck, it's why people hire local agents isn't it?

The way the OP phrased it, the first time, seems pretty clear steering based on familial status to me. As a parent, it is up to the OP to decide if an area is safe for her kids or not. A more appropriate way to express concern about an area would be to pull up your laptop and show them some crime stats online.

They map crime out here and you can see it online. The data speaks for itself, I don't have to say anything. I can also say from experience, that people have said negative things about certain neighborhoods that are NOT true, but those neighborhoods have started to turn and are on the upswing. A reputation is not always in line with facts.

I express opinions all of the time, but those comments are judgmental. BIG difference to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate