Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what temperature do you keep your thermostat in the summer months?
70 7 20.00%
80 3 8.57%
76 8 22.86%
82 4 11.43%
78 7 20.00%
74 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,381,479 times

Advertisements

Painter: Glad you will be around today. I am tackling a big project for me this week-end. I need your expertise!!

My bathroom: I want to remove the wall paper and then paint the walls! So...I bought a scorer and scraper and some stuff they sell to spray on the walls to loosen the glue.

What's your advice? What is the easiest way to do this?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,448,773 times
Hey there Texas, Want my advice ---Well---First thing to do is take the scorer back to the store, get your cash and buy a 6 pack and crank up the tunes. Now empty the room, get the trash bags out and start pulling away from the baseboards UP, you will have 2 layers to remove, well most likely. The first is the vinyl layer, the one with the print and then the tissue type backing that has the glue on. Worry about getting the print layer off first, unless the backing comes off with it, which would be great. Once you get that off then spray the walls down in small areas and let it set till the backing changes color, a darker tan, then scrape away. Once you have all the paper off the walls you will need to really scrub the snot out of the walls, several times, NO residue can be on the walls when you paint or it will make the job look horrible. Most of the stuff they sell is just a gimmick, even the removers you buy can be a waste. I use plain old tap water, the glue is water based and when you spray it it reactivates the paste. The diff sprays help abit but...the softeners and other home remedies really just make things smell better, although some folks swore by it. Water is cheap! You may need more than a 6 pack, depends on how well the hangers did putting the paper up-glued or prepasted-

Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Hey there Texas, Want my advice ---Well---First thing to do is take the scorer back to the store, get your cash and buy a 6 pack and crank up the tunes. Now empty the room, get the trash bags out and start pulling away from the baseboards UP, you will have 2 layers to remove, well most likely. The first is the vinyl layer, the one with the print and then the tissue type backing that has the glue on. Worry about getting the print layer off first, unless the backing comes off with it, which would be great. Once you get that off then spray the walls down in small areas and let it set till the backing changes color, a darker tan, then scrape away. Once you have all the paper off the walls you will need to really scrub the snot out of the walls, several times, NO residue can be on the walls when you paint or it will make the job look horrible. Most of the stuff they sell is just a gimmick, even the removers you buy can be a waste. I use plain old tap water, the glue is water based and when you spray it it reactivates the paste. The diff sprays help abit but...the softeners and other home remedies really just make things smell better, although some folks swore by it. Water is cheap! You may need more than a 6 pack, depends on how well the hangers did putting the paper up-glued or prepasted-
Thanks Painter...I knew you would know how to do this!! I think I will get some sleep now and then start this evening or bright and early tomorrow. Is it feasible to think that I can have all the paper removed and my walls primed/painted by Monday? I have a small bathroom--there is really only 2 walls to work with. Do I need to take my vanity/medicine cabinet down? Or can I work around it?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Hi all...it's been a LONG 3 nights at work--Now I am off for the next 3 nights. For the life of me, I can't remember the posts, but off the top of my head...

YEAH 3 nights off! You've been working too hard girl!

Joy/C'ma--What's up with the out houses?!?!?!
Oh, you know us - always CRAZY. Got the secret code mixed up and, well, one thing led to another LOL Good to see ya Tex and you enjoy those 3 days off XXOO

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,152,360 times
Okay, so my realtor leaves a message that she hasn't spoken to me in a long time, that she's going out with buyers and to an inspection, but will call me tomorrow...to talk about the market. I interpret that message as she thinks we need to reduce our price. I talked with my DH, Bob and we are probably going to reduce our price, from $359,000 to $350,000 and see if that helps. The only thing is, do you think that anyone would think our bottom line is $340,000 if we reduce to $350,000? Sometimes want to sell it at any price, and sometimes don't want to sell it at all because the three kids would be homeless or forced to move with us to MO, which they don't want to do.

I thought I was going to die last night...think it was a gall bladder attack. Man did that hurt, and I felt like I was going to puke, but never did. Was doing all kinds of yoga and other positions to make it feel better. It probably would have looked really funny.

Texas, good to see you back. Hope you get that wallpaper to come off without too much of a battle. Painter, good to hear you have some time off. Enjoy your cooler weather. Hi everyone. NJ, did you hear about the 66 y.o. mother who had twins through fertility intervention. She just died. Seems to me that 66 is a little too old to start having kids, but hey, each to their own. Just feel sad that she left the little ones behind.

Lorrie, how are you feeling? Dogmom, any more calls from A#1? Lacey, how is Mr L?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,190,128 times
Howdy peeps, I got diverted on another thread. All I can say, like we say down south, is bless their hearts
I really need to start 'Crazyma's cheapa$$ but fun home staging and tips service' not that I know everything, but geesh, really........

walks away, head shaking , sad look on face

BBL gotta go get Screech (neighbor) her pain meds...why did I pick up the FREAKing phone

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,352,523 times
Quote:
NJ--How's my twinadoos doing? Hugs and kisses to them
Texie!! Good to see you. Your twinnies are doing great. We did yoga at the library for ages 3-5 and then I read about 50 books to them lol and had other kids sit around while their moms were on their cellphones................It is so damn sticky here...............Hot hot hot! How are you girlfriend?

Quote:
NJ, did you hear about the 66 y.o. mother who had twins through fertility intervention. She just died. Seems to me that 66 is a little too old to start having kids, but hey, each to their own. Just feel sad that she left the little ones behind.
Tambre!How are you girl?? I saw that..66 years old...her mom supp. lived til 102 and thought she would too! I guess she ended up with a malignant tumor. How sad! If she has a daughter maybe she left them with a family member I am hoping. That is wayy too old to have kids...I had mine at 39 and thought I was too old lol...

Auntie Lacey? 50's there??? Holy cow. I cannot believe how cold it is there. No wonder you want out!! You poor thing! It is sweltering here. Was 90 yesterday with some rumbles of thunder and today another sticky, stinky day LOL>>How is Mr. L?Were heading back to Buffalo in about a month from now--hopefully it'll be cooler there!!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,026,252 times
Painter, i had the same thoughts!! Tex, first, grab a drink.......
once you get started and figure out the best way (to pull the wallpaper, at what angle, etc) it gets easier.
Lacey sorry wings werent so great. try again??
some days i hate my job, some days i really appreciate it. spent "counseling" session (with autistic child) at day care. was "luai day". seeing bunch of 3-6 yr olds doing the hula was awesome!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Good to see ya Tex and you enjoy those 3 days off XXOO
LOL! I will Joy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Okay, so my realtor leaves a message that she hasn't spoken to me in a long time, that she's going out with buyers and to an inspection, but will call me tomorrow...to talk about the market. I interpret that message as she thinks we need to reduce our price. I talked with my DH, Bob and we are probably going to reduce our price, from $359,000 to $350,000 and see if that helps. The only thing is, do you think that anyone would think our bottom line is $340,000 if we reduce to $350,000? Sometimes want to sell it at any price, and sometimes don't want to sell it at all because the three kids would be homeless or forced to move with us to MO, which they don't want to do.

Texas, good to see you back. Hope you get that wallpaper to come off without too much of a battle. .
I haven't been brave enough to start on the bathroom...but will start tomorrow morning bright and early! I guess I can have a drink at 9 am--it's 5:00 somewhere, right?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Howdy peeps, I got diverted on another thread. All I can say, like we say down south, is bless their hearts
Oh, I know what that means!! Texans use the exact same expression!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Texie!! Good to see you. Your twinnies are doing great. We did yoga at the library for ages 3-5 and then I read about 50 books to them lol and had other kids sit around while their moms were on their cellphones................It is so damn sticky here...............Hot hot hot! How are you girlfriend?
Aaaahhhhh....what a good mommy you were to the twins and a great surrogate to the other ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Painter, i had the same thoughts!! Tex, first, grab a drink.......
once you get started and figure out the best way (to pull the wallpaper, at what angle, etc) it gets easier.

some days i hate my job, some days i really appreciate it. spent "counseling" session (with autistic child) at day care. was "luai day". seeing bunch of 3-6 yr olds doing the hula was awesome!
That would be adorable watching toddlers do the hula! Thanks for the encouragement Stoy!!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,448,773 times
Howdy all, takin' a short break here, just cleaning house.....n asty! One of my boys decided he would jump the gate into the vacant living room and leave a HUGE puddle right smack dab in the center of the dannm room. I started to say I am pi$$ED BUT..........So here I sit waiting for the baking soda to absorb it, then onto cleaning the carpet. Dont friggin need this today for sure. They are now both locked outside in the heat, bad momma I know, it was that or beat them....How is your day going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate